• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2025

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
He is not going to get paid that money to play wing. That’s crazy
RA or Joe Schmidt aren’t paying it though. The benefactor was happy to part with his daily interest income to bring JS back to our game which is what matters. He doesn’t care in the slightest what position JS is picked in, as long as he’s out there somewhere.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The question is would he even be interested? going from the success of the sevens program to the Tahs would be a hard sell

He’s applied for it previously hasn’t he? I expect post Olympics it’s time for both 7s programs to be looking and new coaching blood and both coaches are too good not to keep in the system.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
The 7s players that have come over to Super Rugby in the last couple of years have shown good basic skills
Cause that what Sevens is. Basic skills over and over again until tired. Same topic in Argentina. Some think that Gomez Cora could be a good Pumas coach due to Pumas Sevens results but I don't think so. Completely different sports nowadays

Oldgoldminer

Herbert Moran (7)
I think that’s where he’ll start but not be for long. Like Folau

Payed quite a bit for Vunivalu for a few years who is only a Winger…

Would be wasted to be permanently there.
Just not happening.
He will have 15 on his back or possibly 13 but no way he is coming to have 11 or 14 in this current Waratahs or Wallabies sides.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
At least we have an Origin player for next season (So far...)
Screenshot-20240526-102122-Instagram.jpg

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The level he's being judged is brutal IMO. I get it is because of the money he's going to earn but if you look at it from a developing player stand point.

He's 20 years old with 57 NRL games and 26 tries. He's the same age as Tim Ryan who we are loving watch find his feet. He's younger than 21 year old Tom Lynagh and 22 year old Josh Flook who we seem to say can't wait to see what they develop into.

He's getting a lot of money. Yep. Good on him and his agent. I hope we get a really good footy player who is only just finding his physical prime.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So basically keep it the same as the tahs have done for 10 years. Yep makes sense. Turn them into an academy side for RA. That will bring the crowds. Or tv dollars

I am talking about talent identification in general in Australia. Not specific to the Waratahs.

Historically there are definitely some issues about which players the Waratahs have targeted as priority signings from those emerging players but likewise some of it is also timing.

Oldgoldminer

Herbert Moran (7)
The level he's being judged is brutal IMO. I get it is because of the money he's going to earn but if you look at it from a developing player stand point.

He's 20 years old with 57 NRL games and 26 tries. He's the same age as Tim Ryan who we are loving watch find his feet. He's younger than 21 year old Tom Lynagh and 22 year old Josh Flook who we seem to say can't wait to see what they develop into.

He's getting a lot of money. Yep. Good on him and his agent. I hope we get a really good footy player who is only just finding his physical prime.
And he will sweep all them by the wayside. None of them would be close to making the NSW SOO team. People are going to eat a lot of humble pie once he starts back in union. I don’t think enough people realise how far behind Union has fallen at that level here in Australia.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Let’s hold that judgement until we see him play against some union defence. I think he might just eat some of them next year.
He shows a lot more in this highlight reel

https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/05/26/origin-audition-tape-joseph-aukuso-Sua'ali'i/

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
And he will sweep all them by the wayside. None of them would be close to making the NSW SOO team. People are going to eat a lot of humble pie once he starts back in union. I don’t think enough people realise how far behind Union has fallen at that level here in Australia.
100%. I think realistically RA is equivalent to a top NRL club, talent and budget wise.

All our best players are already overseas bar a few here.

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
RA or Joe Schmidt aren’t paying it though. The benefactor was happy to part with his daily interest income to bring JS back to our game which is what matters. He doesn’t care in the slightest what position JS is picked in, as long as he’s out there somewhere.

Do you have a source or link for the fact that RA are not paying his contract as I cannot remember seeing that any where.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah I’m curious also. This rumour started as a benefactor topping up JS contract, but now Kob is inferring it is being paid in full by an anonymous benefactor…

Is there a source to substantiate this? You’d assume a $5million donation would make the news.

Oldgoldminer

Herbert Moran (7)
Yeah I’m curious also. This rumour started as a benefactor topping up JS contract, but now Kob is inferring it is being paid in full by an anonymous benefactor…

Is there a source to substantiate this? You’d assume a $5million donation would make the news.
What’s that saying about the truth and a good yarn?

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Absent a journo reporting someone talking out of turn, I suspect the closest we will ever get to knowing what the exact payment split is will be some heavy assumptions starting around April 2026 with the ARF annual financial report

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
It was previously mentioned that maybe the Australian Rugby Foundation may be funding it, as they are there to fund emerging Wallabies amongst other things.

However as per Rugby Australia's published financials with only $1.2 m raised in 2023 it aint going to go too far with all the other programs it tries to caters for......

2022: $220K
2021: $800K
2020: $661K
2019: $1,1M
2018: $1.5M

Oh wait that covers JS in six years with a bit for the other things.

Figures obtained from published Rugby Australia financials.