• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2025

Oldgoldminer

Herbert Moran (7)
The message I am conveying is that basically no one of any quality gets to age 21 or thereabouts as someone who is unknown to the system. We are not just unaware of kids who are fantastic players that suddenly become a surprise when they make it at the next level.

I am not ignoring players who don't show outstanding talent before being 21. We simply do not have the resources to provide a (semi) professional pathway for these kids in the hope that they will become outstanding in the future. We have to pick and choose which players we offer these contracts to already out of the kids who look pretty clearly like they are among the best in their cohort. If we had a lot more money to pay people then you could take a punt on more kids who have some attributes that indicate they could succeed later but perhaps have only just taken up the sport or haven't had good coaching etc.

You also need to accept the financial metrics of what teams can pay players vs what they have elsewhere in their life. If someone is 25 or older and would only warrant a contract paying them as a fringe Super Rugby player then it's almost certainly a bad option for them and the professional team. A bunch of players stick to playing club rugby only because they are trying to develop a professional career at the same time.
Well said Mate.
I haven’t been a huge fan of DC’s ability to manage the development of players, but he isn’t alone there in Australian rugby over the last decade. As a prop that played in 3 different countries, I do think they got young Barrett just about right this year. I went and watched my nephew and saw Jack for the first time as Captain carry his Joeys side to a tough win over Scots at Bellevue. That side had both Max Jorgensen & Ronan Lahey. Max was out that day and the only difference between the two teams was Jack.
I just like the way he goes about his business, tough and no nonsense without the slightest hint or anything stupid. You watch him talk to refs and you can just tell he has all the hallmarks of smart, tough future Wallaby.

It isn’t just him though, there is a great nucleus of an Australian side in that 19-23 year group. I probably unlike a lot of people support the acquisition of Suali. All that experience in the high performing Roosters system should be great if he can drive that in our next generation.

It’s been a tough haul this last decade as a Tahs and Wallaby supporter, so I’m all for trying to give this next generation all the support they need to succeed.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
My only issue with Sua'ali'i is that he’s shown so little in attack (although oddly he’s been tough). For the hype that he received as a schoolboy you’d expect Greg Inglis or Israel Folau- type athleticism and he’s no where near that talented.

Richard Hope

Frank Row (1)
Cheika favourite, but if they can't get or afford him then Manenti or Raiwalui are the way to go, and it lines up with the fans thoughts
IMG_0071.jpg

Oldgoldminer

Herbert Moran (7)
My only issue with Sua'ali'i is that he’s shown so little in attack (although oddly he’s been tough). For the hype that he received as a schoolboy you’d expect Greg Inglis or Israel Folau- type athleticism and he’s no where near that talented.
Let’s hold that judgement until we see him play against some union defence. I think he might just eat some of them next year.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I'm getting keener on John Manenti. The 7s players that have come over to Super Rugby in the last couple of years have shown good basic skills, and he should be familiar with working within a larger program, managing assistants, etc. And a good history of team performance.

Richard Hope

Frank Row (1)
I'm getting keener on John Manenti. The 7s players that have come over to Super Rugby in the last couple of years have shown good basic skills, and he should be familiar with working within a larger program, managing assistants, etc. And a good history of team performance.
Yeah had a look, his record is very good at all levels and he's well liked and respected around the traps

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
True. They do get a lot of elite youth though.

The knock could be that he has less 15s experience than DC. Went from Eastwood to the 7s program. Success at Eastwood though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

More Folau than Inglis, I stood next to him for a few moments at a Tahs game, the guy's a beast

His highlight reel suggests winger to me initially

And "if" he can pass both ways, kick effectively, can "defend" (not just tackle) and has a rugby brain etc etc he can do more important jobs

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think the Wing is a great place to start. Hope he brings the League looking for work attitude as well. He is a big unit who I think has the ability to be like Reiko Ioane over someone like Folau.

Most of his Rugby highlights/hype are from when he was 15 and playing 1st XV so I wouldn't be too critical of anything he does fine skill wise.

His performance at the RLWC for Samoa at Fullback showed a lot of all round skill and ability to organise. Think he would have picked up a lot of footy nous from guys like Tedesco, Manu and Keary.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
really important connection to the Shute Shield too.....

seriously though I think this would be a great call.

Thalium

Fred Wood (13)
really important connection to the Shute Shield too.....

seriously though I think this would be a great call.
The question is would he even be interested? going from the success of the sevens program to the Tahs would be a hard sell

pnut

Billy Sheehan (19)
The message I am conveying is that basically no one of any quality gets to age 21 or thereabouts as someone who is unknown to the system. We are not just unaware of kids who are fantastic players that suddenly become a surprise when they make it at the next level.

I am not ignoring players who don't show outstanding talent before being 21. We simply do not have the resources to provide a (semi) professional pathway for these kids in the hope that they will become outstanding in the future. We have to pick and choose which players we offer these contracts to already out of the kids who look pretty clearly like they are among the best in their cohort. If we had a lot more money to pay people then you could take a punt on more kids who have some attributes that indicate they could succeed later but perhaps have only just taken up the sport or haven't had good coaching etc.

You also need to accept the financial metrics of what teams can pay players vs what they have elsewhere in their life. If someone is 25 or older and would only warrant a contract paying them as a fringe Super Rugby player then it's almost certainly a bad option for them and the professional team. A bunch of players stick to playing club rugby only because they are trying to develop a professional career at the same time.
So basically keep it the same as the tahs have done for 10 years. Yep makes sense. Turn them into an academy side for RA. That will bring the crowds. Or tv dollars

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
More Folau than Inglis, I stood next to him for a few moments at a Tahs game, the guy's a beast

His highlight reel suggests winger to me initially

And "if" he can pass both ways, kick effectively, can "defend" (not just tackle) and has a rugby brain etc etc he can do more important jobs
So if he can pass both ways and kicl but not break a tackle it’s fine? We have Bayley Kuenzle to do that for a lot less cash. He’s getting paid X factor cash so he needs to do more.

Last edited:

Oldgoldminer

Herbert Moran (7)
I think the Wing is a great place to start. Hope he brings the League looking for work attitude as well. He is a big unit who I think has the ability to be like Reiko Ioane over someone like Folau.

Most of his Rugby highlights/hype are from when he was 15 and playing 1st XV so I wouldn't be too critical of anything he does fine skill wise.

His performance at the RLWC for Samoa at Fullback showed a lot of all round skill and ability to organise. Think he would have picked up a lot of footy nous from guys like Tedesco, Manu and Keary.
He is not going to get paid that money to play wing. That’s crazy