• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2025

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah I’m curious also. This rumour started as a benefactor topping up JS contract, but now Kob is inferring it is being paid in full by an anonymous benefactor…

Is there a source to substantiate this? You’d assume a $5million donation would make the news.
It's pretty consistently been reported by several respected journos that an anonymous benefactor(s) is picking up 'the majority' of JS' tab, possibly by way of ARF - we can only assume that these journos would have done their DD.

It would also be a slam dunk for a NewsCorp journo to reveal that isn't the case, so imagine it would've come out by now.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
It was previously mentioned that maybe the Australian Rugby Foundation may be funding it, as they are there to fund emerging Wallabies amongst other things.

However as per Rugby Australia's published financials with only $1.2 m raised in 2023 it aint going to go too far with all the other programs it tries to caters for......

2022: $220K
2021: $800K
2020: $661K
2019: $1,1M
2018: $1.5M

Oh wait that covers JS in six years with a bit for the other things.

Figures obtained from published Rugby Australia financials.
The ARF is just the mechanism for the money to be paid by RA. The donor would contribute in the year the payment is required.

You can actually probably see where Folau and Pocock ceased to receive their donor money out of that list

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
It's pretty consistently been reported by several respected journos that an anonymous benefactor(s) is picking up 'the majority' of JS' tab, possibly by way of ARF - we can only assume that these journos would have done their DD.
Journo and Due Dillgence in todays times of clickbait???

In any event do you possibly have a link to where it has been reported as I cannot seem to remember or find anything.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
The ARF is just the mechanism for the money to be paid by RA. The donor would contribute in the year the payment is required.

You can actually probably see where Folau and Pocock ceased to receive their donor money out of that list
Here is your post in the RA thread, which speculates the benefactor is fronting up with $1m of the pay check per year.

Post in thread 'Australian Rugby / RA'
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/australian-rugby-ra.12818/post-1400932

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
It was previously mentioned that maybe the Australian Rugby Foundation may be funding it, as they are there to fund emerging Wallabies amongst other things.

However as per Rugby Australia's published financials with only $1.2 m raised in 2023 it aint going to go too far with all the other programs it tries to caters for......

2022: $220K
2021: $800K
2020: $661K
2019: $1,1M
2018: $1.5M

Oh wait that covers JS in six years with a bit for the other things.

Figures obtained from published Rugby Australia financials.
Are you saying that RA started to warehouse funds for JS in 2018? What those figures show is that Folau and Pocock went off the funding list after 2019.

edit. Sorry, I see you’re saying that all the donor money would be consumed by the JS contract. That’s not how it works, they find someone to cover the cost of the individual player, it doesn’t get spread over everyone. Yes it’s too much money in this instance but Hamish was obviously able to find someone to pay it.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
So there’s a bit to suggest a benefactor may by contributing ‘part of the contract’, but nothing to support the suggestion that they are covering the entirety of the wage…..

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
So there’s a bit to suggest a benefactor may by contributing ‘part of the contract’, but nothing to support the suggestion that they are covering the entirety of the wage…..
I don't think anyone suggested that. The assumption was always a Waratahs salary plus a Wallabies top up, with the donor covering the balance. The language used most often is 'the majority of', i.e. > 50%

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don't think anyone suggested that. The assumption was always a Waratahs salary plus a Wallabies top up, with the donor covering the balance. The language used most often is 'the majority of', i.e. > 50%
Ah, you suggested it when you said RA won't be paying his salary.
RA or Joe Schmidt aren’t paying it though. The benefactor was happy to part with his daily interest income to bring JS back to our game which is what matters. He doesn’t care in the slightest what position JS is picked in, as long as he’s out there somewhere.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Ah, you suggested it when you said RA won't be paying his salary.
The context there was that RA wouldn't pay him that much money and play him on the wing, clearly it's a reference to the magnitude of the deal. i.e. the large part over and beyond that RA would otherwise be paying him.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The context there was that RA wouldn't pay him that much money and play him on the wing, clearly it's a reference to the magnitude of the deal. i.e. the large part over and beyond that RA would otherwise be paying him.
if you say so….

whether intentional or not.. thats why I asked where the source was to support this suggestion

He is not going to get paid that money to play wing. That’s crazy
RA or Joe Schmidt aren’t paying it though.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Fair enough. I've seen it reported, and we also know that the ARF is used precisely in these circumstances where the cost is beyond the realms of RA's finances, so I don't think its an outlandish assumption. I've also seen it reported where the amount of the deal has been disputed, but can't find the source for that. The article below does make mention of the ARF's involvement however the grammar is terrible.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/13dd061a7f432b98e03abc399e767f40

Anyway, will leave it there. At the end of the day the money is coming from somewhere and it will be revealed in due course.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
All our best players? I don’t think that’s true at all.
Our local props are better.
Our OS hookers are better: BPA, Latu, Fainga'a > Faessler, Uelese, Longeran
Our OS locks are better: Skelton, Philip, Staniforth, Simmons, Arnold x 2 > Rodda, Swain, Neville etc.
Our OS backrow is tipping to be better: McMahon, Gill, Samu, soon to be Swinton, Kemeny, Hanigan > McReight, Valetini who else
Our 9s here are better if you don't count TKB
Our OS 10s are better, Lolesio has not surpassed Quade or Foley and the rest of our locals are untested
Centres: Samu when fit is a locked starter
OBs: Our best winger is Koroibete, Banks is as good as any local based OB.

Then this isn't even counting the ones we've officially lost like Meafou, Hansen and Tuipulotu who are all in a conversation to be world class.

It's bleak but I'm comfortable saying we have retained a handful of our best here but majority of our top top line talent are OS.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s subjective, right.

BPA is coming back. I don’t agree with Latu or Faianga’a. Latu was at the Tahs last year and couldn’t get a start.
I’ll give you Skelton, don’t agree on any of the rest.
Backrow - McMahon maybe but I’m doubtful (although haven’t seen him play for ages). Swinton, Hanigan & Kemeny are a loss. But we still have Valetini, McReight, Wilson, Cale, Uru, Leota, Wright, Holloway who have all been as good or better this year.
At 10 I’m not convinced Foley or Cooper are better players right now. They are fair more accomplished, no doubt. But last time Foley played for the Wallabies he was shit and Cooper was struggling from injury.
Kerevi - if he is fit, yes. But is he?
Koroibete - last year was his worst year for the Wallabies. Still possibly one of our best wingers but for how much longer?
Banks was never more than passable in Gold. Again he is benefitting from none of the current guys grabbing the opportunity with both hands but he’s hardly an example of a top line talent we are greatly missing. Last time he was here plenty of people wanted him dropped.

On top of that there is plenty of good players coming through.

The big issue with all those guys OS IMO is that they would walk into our super rugby teams and would make us so much more competitive at that level at present which would then flow through to the Wallabies. It is the loss of squad depth and competitiveness at super level which is the biggest issue IMO.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
It’s subjective, right.

BPA is coming back. I don’t agree with Latu or Faianga’a. Latu was at the Tahs last year and couldn’t get a start.
I’ll give you Skelton, don’t agree on any of the rest.
Backrow - McMahon maybe but I’m doubtful (although haven’t seen him play for ages). Swinton, Hanigan & Kemeny are a loss. But we still have Valetini, McReight, Wilson, Cale, Uru, Leota, Wright, Holloway who have all been as good or better this year.
At 10 I’m not convinced Foley or Cooper are better players right now. They are fair more accomplished, no doubt. But last time Foley played for the Wallabies he was shit and Cooper was struggling from injury.
Kerevi - if he is fit, yes. But is he?
Koroibete - last year was his worst year for the Wallabies. Still possibly one of our best wingers but for how much longer?
Banks was never more than passable in Gold. Again he is benefitting from none of the current guys grabbing the opportunity with both hands but he’s hardly an example of a top line talent we are greatly missing. Last time he was here plenty of people wanted him dropped.

On top of that there is plenty of good players coming through.

The big issue with all those guys OS IMO is that they would walk into our super rugby teams and would make us so much more competitive at that level at present which would then flow through to the Wallabies. It is the loss of squad depth and competitiveness at super level which is the biggest issue IMO.
We have a big bias to the players we see every week and neglect the ones that are out of sight (like R. Arnold in 3rd div Japan wtf is he doing). When most of the players I mentioned left Aus they were Wallaby squad members, if not starters and yes we can replace them but constantly with younger and more inexperienced players. I'm so envious of Ireland and France's ability to put out teams with huge amounts of caps and afford to watch players mature into even better versions. I really don't think we can understand how much experience we've lost.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Latu, Fainga'a Latu couldnt get a gig in Tah's colours last time out here, and Fainga was usually slammed on these boards. BPA's back in Oz and we also have Pollard, and Dolly and Poreki

Our OS backrow is tipping to be better: McMahon, Gill, Samu, soon to be Swinton, Kemeny, Hanigan > McReight, Valetini who else

Wilson, Wright, Leota, Cale, Hooper, Holloway, Tizzano, Uru

All are just as good or better

Philip, Staniforth, Simmons, Arnold x2 ... long fucking bow to pick any of these guys as better the Rodda, Swain, Frost, Smith, Hooper, Holloway.

Samu < Ikitau and was pants during the world cup

Koroibete is great but one player compared to Kellaway, Wright, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase), Toole, Ryan, Lancaster..

Hansen, has played well for Ireland but lets not forget he couldn't get a start at the Brumbies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think there is a pretty clear trend though that there are more players who would potentially make the first choice Wallaby squad playing overseas and that the Wallabies have steadily slid down the World Rugby rankings.