• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v. B&I Lions - Saturday 15 June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tahs' first try technically shouldn't have been. Croft and at least one other player touched the ball before McK threw it in. But a mere technicality

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I enjoyed the game, the Lions just unlocked the Tahs through being able to suck in defenders in tight before going around the outside.

We just had to commit too many units at times and their speed to react was just excellent.

The same in attack, when our cleanout wasn't accurate, they either turned it over, or at the next had the numbers to turn it over.

It was good experience for the Tahs, they now know how far they are away from the required levels

I thought most units did some good stuff, they just couldn't keep it up for the 80, but when the Lions replaced one test pack with another o_O

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
I would say that Roberts' injury will save Gatland the awkward decision of leaving Roberts, a near certainty pre-tour for the first XV, out of the test side. He's a hell of a player but he's been average so far this tour, whereas Davies and Tuilagi have both looked very good. I'd start Davies and BOD with Tuilagi on the bench as a perfect impact player.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Will Skelton looks like he'll replace Timani smoothly. Massive potential.

What we have seen of Skelton so for would have me saying he is far better than Tamani. He works harder for a start and the rough edges of his game can be attributed to inexperience.

Bloody fantastic effort from the Tahs last night and those who got out to support them.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
What we have seen of Skelton so for would have me saying he is far better than Tamani. He works harder for a start and the rough edges of his game can be attributed to inexperience.

I'm not so sure....he doesn't really seem to bend the line much. Just runs into contact and seems to stop and go to ground. That said, I think he improved as the game progressed.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Really enjoyed that game, 40,000 people, a real quality BIL side and an inexperienced Tahs outfit really throwing everything at them.

I though Mitchell had an outstanding game, it's hard to imagine he's not among our two or three best wingers.

Aside from that, I thought Ulugia had one of his best for the season, Betham was dangerous with the ball, and McCutcheon got through an enormous number of tackles, I'd love to see his stats. As to Skelton, I am really impressed with the guy. He has to get his body height way lower when he runs, but he's big and strong, has great ball skills and plays himself to a standstill.

I would like to see Foley cut him out a bit more. he was met by three defenders all night, which usually means there's a space somewhere else, so he should be used as a dummy runner more often. Once a team sees this they will move to cover those spots, and the big fella will get the chance to run at a back one-on-one, which is what you want.

I don't know whether we can beat this BIL side or not, but if we can it will be a very worthwhile achievement.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Bloody fantastic effort from the Tahs last night and those who got out to support them.

He will do wonders with an off-season of regimented strength and conditioning.

Imagine how good he'll get when he is actually fit.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought Skelton really announced his arrival as a top flight rugby player. He looks like a Wallabies in the making. Lets hope he continues to progress

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
[Skelton] will do wonders with an off-season of regimented strength and conditioning.

Imagine how good he'll get when he is actually fit.

Why do you consider he is not "actually fit", Blue? In each of two matches 6 days apart he put in 60 minutes of intense effort. I thought he could have been subbed off with 20 minutes to go last night, not because he is unfit but because he had given his all.

As for "do[ing] wonders with an off-season of regimented strength and conditioning", he has been doing year-round regimented strength and conditioning for three seasons now, and it certainly hasn't all been with the National Academy or the Waratahs.

At 21 he's still very much a work in progress and has been gradually learning his craft. He still has work to do on mastering body position and joint angles in the scrum so that he can effectively deliver on his raw power. Most importantly, whoever is responsible for his conditioning from here on needs to take account of his huge body mass and ensure that he is not putting too much load on his joints by overdoing running drills.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Tahs' first try technically shouldn't have been. Croft and at least one other player touched the ball before McK threw it in. But a mere technicality

Pretty sure other players are allowed to touch the ball before a quick throw, just not spectators/officials/people not playing.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
That is correct, that's why you see the opposition try to rip the ball out straight after the go into touch. If they couldn't there would be no quick throw-ins!

29707.jpg

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I thought Skelton really announced his arrival as a top flight rugby player. He looks like a Wallabies in the making. Lets hope he continues to progress

As a declared sceptic, I must concede a very strong game by Will Skelton on the weekend, not to detract from a young bloke, but an older, more experienced player would have snapped up that pass that became an intercept - (he was being too careful) - and in the case of the last try, I had the impression he was totally out of puff, and just managing to keep up... But along the way were some magnificent hits, great in-tight play, and his ever grafting, honest attititude...

I don't doubt his playing ability - just his ability to last over the long term, play 80 minutes at the tempo these other blokes play, and remain injury free - but I wish him every success...

I do wish that someone would remind the commentators they have done the "what a future this kid -..." bit to death, and to move on FFS.

He is on his way to becoming something - but he's not there yet - at 21 he shouldn't be expected to be.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
At 21 he's still very much a work in progress and has been gradually learning his craft. He still has work to do on mastering body position and joint angles in the scrum so that he can effectively deliver on his raw power. Most importantly, whoever is responsible for his conditioning from here on needs to take account of his huge body mass and ensure that he is not putting too much load on his joints by overdoing running drills.

Thanks Bruce - I could not have phrased it better myself... I think alot of people are unaware how hard it is for athletes of this size to stay injury-free, and looking at young skelton on the tellie, I see some potential for Hip, Knee and other joint problems that a smaller player may have less concern about...

When I first saw him, I thought of Lomu, and how his physiology allowed him to move muchmore fluently about the paddock.

One thing I cannot fault on Saturday, was Will's sheer application to the task at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.