• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Highlanders - Super Rugby R4 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Near miss by the Tahs, but to my eyes they were allowed back into the game when the landers' bench came on. Not up to the standard of the starting side while the Tahs' bench added to their skills and enthusiasm. Landers also nearly gave the game away with their incessant kicking in the second half.

I am hopeful for the sake of ASustralian rugby that we have now seen the last of Cliff Palu. He really hasn't been up to Super Rugby standard for a cou[ple of years now, and it is time for Holloway to be slotted in permanently. Also, there must be big questions about Will Skelton. Pretty poor at Super Rugby level this year and not showing any form to warrant test selection atm.

I thought Lucas was particularly effective when he came on.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Lost my voice yelling for the last 20 mins, but jeez the first 50 mins were dire. I thought we were gunna lose by 50. Highlanders are great at turnover and high tempo helter skelter play. Exciting to watch . With goal kicking we would have stolen it, but it would have been a steal given the clan were better for longer.

Our subs lifted us hugely, some should start next time (roach, Holloway and maybe Robinson).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jesus for the last time Skelton is coming back from injury, I imagine for a man his size any time not spent running he loses fitness pretty quickly. I don't think it's all that concerning, he'll build into the season although I'd play him from the bench until it improves.

We're not picking the Test team for next week thankfully.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Landers fell in love with the kick. That bewitching bitch was just so sweet to them, how could they not. But love was blind, and by the time they realised the kick had become just another turned trick, exacerbated by a tired & staggered kick chase, they were arse-over-kite back down under their own posts being repeatedly fucked up the arse by an uncomfortably large sky-blue dildo.

But never mind that right now.

They did have some good times with that kick.

Official GAGR 1st Half Match Report: NSFW vs Otago Highlanders

NSW got some tall timber in that lineout of theirs!

Kurtley Beale, looking good at 1st 5!

"The New South Wales Warratahs have been working on their scrummaging all week."

Angus Tauavo, Liaki Moli, Tasesa Lavea, they're all marquee players somewhere, right?

Right??

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I am hopeful for the sake of ASustralian rugby that we have now seen the last of Cliff Palu. He really hasn't been up to Super Rugby standard for a cou[ple of years now, and it is time for Holloway to be slotted in permanently.

I still don't understand the decision to bring him back. Beyong the fact that he'd done service to Australian Rugby enough for anyone, it is Holloway's time.

Reactions: mst

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
Well.

That final score made the game closer than it looked. The Highlanders shut up shop with 25 minutes to go. They could have put more on us if they had continued to play the game.

I didn't realise that Sea World was in town and had swapped our entire team with seals. Hands like flippers. The line out was abysmal in the first half. The scrum - enough has been said about this.

Is KB (Kurtley Beale) wearing CL's boots? Because he is kicking like CL from last season.

Skelton. Should be working as a florist.

The crowd came good in the last 20 minutes with some noise. Perhaps if the game was 90 minutes, we might have edged them.

Edit: Holloway and Lucas were good coming off the bench. Palu has tired legs. Time to call it a day.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Give away a penalty when the Highlanders are going one out winding down the clock.

Does not get DUMBER than that.

by that stage, someone had to try to do something

dumb?

not really, if he gets away with it and gets the turnover, he is a genius who was off side

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Congrats to the Clan, their win coming off the back of tremendous defensive line speed and clever kicking. Their unsung forwards certainly hunt as a collective force.

Some fine performances by the Tahs in a losing effort and agree with Braveheart81 that Hooper, Beale and Phipps were the pick. How we could've done with some better goal and out of hand kicking.

Too many turn overs and jittery play saw the score blow out to 30-0. Credit to the Tahs' bench who outplayed the Clan's bench and lifted the home side's fortunes but it was always going to be too many points start.

Would like to see Holloway and Robinson in the starting XV.

Yeah, the clan were too smart for the Tahs, they worked so hard in that first half, to chase those kicks (turning some just average ones into great) but they also made great decisions on when to really fly at the Tahs in defence.

They stopped our go forward by everyone bar Hooper and when we kicked, they had plenty of units working hard to be behind the ball and an option to receive or chase

But they were helped by a simply clueless Tahs who couldn't hold the ball long enough to put any sustained pressure on their systems

Second half, the Tahs got back into the game when they held the ball and realistically because the Clan took the foot off the peddle

Memo to Fox, a couple more graphics on who has come on and where they are playing (like the kiwis do) would help your coverage

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have to add how tough would it be for someone like Elliott Dixon, geez you would think he would be an international player almost anywhere else in the world, he was huge again last night. And all the ones getting at Cliffie Palu, I have never been impressed with him, he may of been an adequate Super player, but even at his best he was never much more in my opinion!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Give away a penalty when the Highlanders are going one out winding down the clock.

Does not get DUMBER than that.
Even dumber to not kill advantage

I'm confused,i agree with one of the above.

When they Landers have possession,and are picking & going to soak up the clock,and have advantage.
If you don't concede a penalty,you are giving them risk free possession.

Concede the penalty,then if you can win the ball,you can keep it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Jesus for the last time Skelton is coming back from injury, I imagine for a man his size any time not spent running he loses fitness pretty quickly. I don't think it's all that concerning, he'll build into the season although I'd play him from the bench until it improves.

We're not picking the Test team for next week thankfully.

That may well be Qwerty, but on looks alone, he seems to be a lot lighter than he has been for a long time, maybe ever. A funny thing though, that the Tahs use him as the jumper in their first lineout. He seems to go downhill from there.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I still don't understand the decision to bring him back. Beyong the fact that he'd done service to Australian Rugby enough for anyone, it is Holloway's time.

I agree Pfitzy, but maybe one or two other Tahs' supporters here can explain why it's always better to keep the over the hill, experienced player in the side at the expense of a relatively untried new comer who has consistently shown much better form. They seem to trot out that line every time there is a Wallabies' side about to be named and I expect to see it again come the England tour.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree with this. Especially Holloway and Robinson

And while I don't think there was a scrum later in the game, I believe Tom Robertson could not in any way be as poor a scrummager as anyof the current front row starters. He looked pretty good last year in SS.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
And while I don't think there was a scrum later in the game, I believe Tom Robertson could not in any way be as poor a scrummager as anyof the current front row starters. He looked pretty good last year in SS.

Yeah, mate. Put any NRC prop in Ta'avao spot and send him back to Auckland on the first flight available

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Something that has gone under the radar or is a given. The Tah's have missed Foley this year. Kafer mentioned in the first half runners were unsure where to be for an off load when Beale was running the ball.

I also think NSW are unbalanced in the Second Row with the division of tasks, Line Out, Clean out in R&M, running the ball. Miss Douglas seems Lousi and Skelton are too similar and Mumm was admired when in UK.
Is there anyone on the fringes.

Is it worth starting with Hooper doppelganger rather than Latu.

Status
Not open for further replies.