• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Hurricanes Sat 14th May 7.45pm Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I like that you are claiming ownership over that talent.
Oh you know what i mean. Switch out "us" for "them" etc etc. Let's not sweat the details.

Messrs O.Franks and D.Coles must be feeling pretty good right about now. Maybe some self doubt creeping in given their age but theyve absolutely done the business there. Like a 60-year old pulling a spunk at the pub*.

*try not to overthink that last bit there Derps ffs.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
"... Ryan will inject some real spark late that we don't get from Smith, just hope there aren't too many scrums... "

yes like knocking the ball on or losing it in contact when its the 79th minute and we are a point behind.

I made this comment at 7.12 on Wednesday I believe. I appear to have been way too generous in my opinion of P Ryan. He is the worst prop ever to play for the Waratahs' and has a long history of losing them games. Seriously, why pick him, you know what's going to happen?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok as a Canes man I really happy!! By chirst I don't know what Angus Bell was whispering in Lomax's ear, but whatever it was made him keep standing up, but Owen F wasn't having any of it. Tahs actually wer pretty alright actually and why I was happy to get win. Ardie will just climb up off death bed I reckon if he sniffs out a chance for Canes to win a game!!
I was having a bit of a grin when Horan and the woman on panel kept asking every memeber of Canes team that they got near them including the coach, are we getting better??Then Nick McArdle talked about it, sounded like they were seeking approval of big brother or something!!
I was thinking , just have a bloody look , any halfwit can see how much better they are etc, don't beg for compliments it's like little kids at school that have to have an award for trying FFS!!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ok as a Canes man I really happy!! By chirst I don't know what Angus Bell was whispering in Lomax's ear, but whatever it was made him keep standing up, but Owen F wasn't having any of it. Tahs actually wer pretty alright actually and why I was happy to get win. Ardie will just climb up off death bed I reckon if he sniffs out a chance for Canes to win a game!!
I was having a bit of a grin when Horan and the woman on panel kept asking every memeber of Canes team that they got near them including the coach, are we getting better??Then Nick McArdle talked about it, sounded like they were seeking approval of big brother or something!!
I was thinking , just have a bloody look , any halfwit can see how much better they are etc, don't beg for compliments it's like little kids at school that have to have an award for trying FFS!!
Yeh but I.can understand why the Stan commentators push the kiwi players to comment though as their is lot of press that kiwis don’t rate oz teams etc so getting affirmation on screen to talk to that I get. Maybe a bit overdone but I get it. Kiwi super rugby teams seen as best teams in the world so to get them saying tahs, brumbies etc quality teams gets peoples attention.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeh but I.can understand why the Stan commentators push the kiwi players to comment though as their is lot of press that kiwis don’t rate oz teams etc so getting affirmation on screen to talk to that I get. Maybe a bit overdone but I get it. Kiwi super rugby teams seen as best teams in the world so to get them saying tahs, brumbies etc quality teams gets peoples attention.
Yep I understood it RN, just thought the continual asking just didn't sound all that good. But as you say getting affirmation form players maybe a good thing for newer or less rusted on people watching the game. And perhaps as you say they don't see the NZ press etc that we do where almost everyone have said right from early season how much the Aus teams have come on this year.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Also note Dan coles commenting about enjoying playing in front of a packed crowd at leichardt. Could not go to the game last night as had something on but gees how good on screen does it look with that packed hill. Almost wonder even with sfs back next year they have some other games there (eg when tahs play with other other oz teams plus Fiji in nrc mark 3)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep I understood it RN, just thought the continual asking just didn't sound all that good. But as you say getting affirmation form players maybe a good thing for newer or less rusted on people watching the game. And perhaps as you say they don't see the NZ press etc that we do where almost everyone have said right from early season how much the Aus teams have come on this year.
Yes Dan this is marketing to those starting to come back and watch oz rugby teams to spread the word. I think Stan doing a good job here to try and promote the product. There has been a lot of past criticism rugby not marketed well by fox tel etc and now got the product improved got the opportunity to promote. Super rugby still gets bugger all press in oz especially from the Murdoch papers so you get more as part of the conversation oz press will have to come on board, more people talk about it, read about it etc to grow the game.

i also like the promo around fill the hill. Maybe for for next season is to fill SFS is the moniker.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Fun night at the game, geez the hill was muddy. Tahs kept losing the contact in defence was the difference for me between the sides in the second half. Too many passive tackles that gave the Canes front foot ball. And obviously the scrums. Haven’t watched the replay, but that was my impression at the time.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Also note Dan coles commenting about enjoying playing in front of a packed crowd at leichardt. Could not go to the game last night as had something on but gees how good on screen does it look with that packed hill. Almost wonder even with sfs back next year they have some other games there (eg when tahs play with other other oz teams plus Fiji in nrc mark 3)
I reckoned the last couple of games at Leichardt have been brilliant to see even on tv, gives a great vibe to games, and can understand (and pleased to hear) Coles saying how enjoyable it is. I know it help home team having crowd behind them, but reckon opposition get the excitement too and gets them going as well. All in all a bloody good advert for game.
I would love to see more games there next year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I made this comment at 7.12 on Wednesday I believe. I appear to have been way too generous in my opinion of P Ryan. He is the worst prop ever to play for the Waratahs' and has a long history of losing them games. Seriously, why pick him, you know what's going to happen?

I would suggest your memory may be a tad limited as to crap Tahs props

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
I would suggest your memory may be a tad limited as to crap Tahs props

Well, yes, you're right, I don't keep a complete mental database of every prop that's ever played for the Waratahs, but I know how often he's cost them games. He has a very proven track record.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah, I didn't hear them pose that question to the players at the other games. It was a bit of a reality check for Super Rugby teams this week after some positivity. I think our best 23s have improved this year but the depth of our squads got exposed

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I reckoned the last couple of games at Leichardt have been brilliant to see even on tv, gives a great vibe to games, and can understand (and pleased to hear) Coles saying how enjoyable it is. I know it help home team having crowd behind them, but reckon opposition get the excitement too and gets them going as well. All in all a bloody good advert for game.
I would love to see more games there next year.
Totally agree. I went to the Crusaders game and it was great fun and atmosphere. Crowd last night looked bigger. Ironically, just when we find a good home ground this year, we will be playing at the new stadium next year where a crowd like that will only fill about 1/3 of the place. The Tahs will have to play out of the new one contractually, but the best atmosphere over the past few years have been suburban grounds like Brookvale and Leichardht

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, I didn't hear them pose that question to the players at the other games. It was a bit of a reality check for Super Rugby teams this week after some positivity. I think our best 23s have improved this year but the depth of our squads got exposed
To be honest, I think you will find the depth of kiwi squads is not what it was either Silver, I know most teams are pulling up players from academies etc on ocaasion. Not sure how much has been covid, but think real thing is the number of players lost overseas. Think there something like 500 players registeres overseas in professional ranks from NZ.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
To be honest, I think you will find the depth of kiwi squads is not what it was either Silver, I know most teams are pulling up players from academies etc on ocaasion. Not sure how much has been covid, but think real thing is the number of players lost overseas. Think there something like 500 players registeres overseas in professional ranks from NZ.
I think you are right Dan. There are a lot more kiwi player names this year I have never heard of before than is usual from past years. Amazing that they still play pretty well, but its showing that the depth is thinner than it use to be.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Totally agree. I went to the Crusaders game and it was great fun and atmosphere. Crowd last night looked bigger. Ironically, just when we find a good home ground this year, we will be playing at the new stadium next year where a crowd like that will only fill about 1/3 of the place. The Tahs will have to play out of the new one contractually, but the best atmosphere over the past few years have been suburban grounds like Brookvale and Leichardht
Filling a 10,000 seater will look and feel far better than 10,000 being spread out through a 40,000 seater but the 40,000 seater will have the corporate stuff and that makes more $$$

The most important thing to me is having that home ground, the last years were horrendous

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Disappointing to lose that one, but if you had suggested last year we would be where we are now I would have taken it in a heartbeat.
Two biggest issues were not shutting the man down at the tackle, and as a result allowing too many offloads, and a bit of poor game management at crucial times, which I guess is an experience thing.
Huge games from Bell, Holtz, Holloway, Warren-Vosayaco, Foketi, Perese and Peitsch, most of the others put in a fair shift. Vailanue and Gleeson both very effective off the bench.
Looking forward, Perese is going to be a massive loss, much as I like Ikatau and Paisami, I don't think we have a more dangerous attacking centre than Perese (excluding Kerevi). On the upside, Ryan should get a suspension, so it ensures he won't be picked again. Give me Smith and his lack of contribution around the park over Ryan's negative contribution anyday!

Status
Not open for further replies.