• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Reds Rnd 1 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Fuck me some of you are downers. We beat Queensland by 20 points, and the game was never really in doubt. Need I remind you that these games are NEVER high quality, and it should have been doubly shit given we are in round 1!

I was pleasantly surprised. For 30 minutes the Tahs looked really sharp, which is 30 minutes more than I expected (remember our opener against the Force last year???).

The backline hummed, the new blokes stepped up, we scored some really creative and skilful tries.

Yeah we dropped our bundle a bit in the second half and generally played down to the opposition, but it's round one. It's a long season. We showed enough tonight to suggest we'll be there when the whips are cracking.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Fuck me some of you are downers. We beat Queensland by 20 points, and the game was never really in doubt. Need I remind you that these games are NEVER high quality, and it should have been doubly shit given we are in round 1!

I was pleasantly surprised. For 30 minutes the Tahs looked really sharp, which is 30 minutes more than I expected (remember our opener against the Force last year???).

The backline hummed, the new blokes stepped up, we scored some really creative and skilful tries.

Yeah we dropped our bundle a bit in the second half and generally played down to the opposition, but it's round one. It's a long season. We showed enough tonight to suggest we'll be there when the whips are cracking.

I'm sure eveyone agrees.

But the Bumboys put fufty on the All Blacks.

So we bask by the light of lesser sunlamp.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
I dunno Barbarian. On one hand the Tahs held their shape exceptionally well, and looked very much in contro for those forst 30mins. However, to be comprehensively beaten by a seven man scrum is not a good look. That inclides a front row yellow card against seven men.

Losing that much line out ball is also concerning, and while tonight's opposition will be forgiving, Otago and ACT won't be.

The line out can be tightened. The scrum could be another matter. The weakness lies in tight head, the toughtest job on the field (barring the ref), and learning the craft requires a lengthy apprenticeship. Such a crying shame to see Kepu leave just when really hitting his straps.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Addit.:your new boys certainly did step up. Says a lot for the structure of the team. Having blokes like Beale and Guildford alongside would be a huge spur.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
9f4343fd95e05099a52b444c7994dc59.jpg

I thought the crowd would've been bigger, 24k is probably under what they'd expect 1st up.
Not a bad atmosphere, KBs tackle certainly woke every one up. What a beauty.
Neither team dominated at the breakdown and the scrums? Enough has been said about them.
Not an easy job being a ref, but I didn't think Angus has a good game last night. I've been ref'd by him many times, never been a fan. But, good on him as it wouldn't be easy.
We will need to lift 1000% if we want to go near the Brumbies next week, they looked very sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You are kidding right? I just want to clarify. When the penalty count went your way, he was good, but when it went our way he was rubbish?

I said reasonably good - overall he was rubbish as usual. First half he let the game flow much more - there were a lot of early penalties against the Reds for cynical slowing down infringements which led to the card. (S Finger should have gone rather than Simmons IMO)

2nd half was stop/start puntuated by endless whistle.

EDIT: And in the last 10 minutes of the game, the Reds suffered from his poor refereeing.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
This could be a long season for the Reds. That pack is really very, very average.

And why do they insist playing 20m behind the advantage line, and then in slow motion?

They are lucky the Tahs fell asleep after half time. Could have been fifty easily.

How the hell did this coach keep his job?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Tahs' props have really regressed this year - Robinson and Ryan in particular.

Time to give Cameron Orr and Tom Robertson a go surely

A bit hard on Fatcat, he went off with a head knock & blood not long after coming on (Ta’avao also had a broken nose and a head knock)

Tilse on the other hand ...........................

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So bloody cranky with that game. So many things I want to rant about. Couldn't be arsed so will just dot point.

- Tahs getting a BP is fucked. They should be fucking embarrassed. That was a disgrace.
- Kurtley 'Nicolas Sanchez' Beale.
- Angus Gardiner
- The Reds in general.

Fuck.

despite Beale going off for a head injury check afterwards o_O

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The medics attended to him straight away and he was fine to continue then a little while later someone insisted he get checked. Did he get a knock after that?
Still looked like a massive flop to me.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I said reasonably good - overall he was rubbish as usual. First half he let the game flow much more - there were a lot of early penalties against the Reds for cynical slowing down infringements which led to the card. (S Finger should have gone rather than Simmons IMO)

2nd half was stop/start puntuated by endless whistle.

EDIT: And in the last 10 minutes of the game, the Reds suffered from his poor refereeing.

You also said that he spent the second half evening up the penalty count (or words to that effect) with the obvious inference being that he favoured the Reds unjustifiably. That's the bit I took objection to.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
If KB (Kurtley Beale) took a dive, he really committed, seeing as he went off for concussion and never returned.

Lost a lot of respect for Goramaru last night. A lot of people paid to come see him, and after the game he was the first one back in the sheds, before the refs had left the field. There were a lot of Japanese fans hanging round the tunnel waiting to see him, he was the only player not to stay and sign autographs

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It was a massive dive. Beale was always going to be replaced as soon as the game was secured. It was a late tackle for sure, but a massive dive without a doubt.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The medics attended to him straight away and he was fine to continue then a little while later someone insisted he get checked. Did he get a knock after that?
Still looked like a massive flop to me.

He got hit with Goromaru's elbow/shoulder whilst trying to run past him. Those always knock players around because they're trying to avoid contact (because there's a try beckoning if they get through) so they're never braced to be hit.

He went down hard and then was replaced for a concussion test after kicking the conversion and didn't come back.

I am not sure whether he suggested he felt unwell and needed a concussion test or whether he was pulled because they saw his head hit the ground on the replay.

Status
Not open for further replies.