• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Reds Rnd 1 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
More games are decided by a THP's performance at scrum then a THP's performance around the park..

Absolutely. Although Super Rugby has seemingly bucked that trend a bit in recent years insofar as teams have done OK when the scrum has been iffy. But that's more a reflection of what the pack is doing in all facets. Tests are somewhat different. All things being equal, I'd rather the THP is a rock than a show-pony.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I wouldn't start R Robinson. Let's remember Folau 2013 vs Reds at Suncorp. His debut in a proper game. He was like a deer in headlights, yes he scored a try but Ioane completely owned him all night, he found himself out of position numerous times on defence and at one stage was backwards peddling to the tryline and allowed Ioane a clear passage to score. Folau had also done better in the trial matches than Robinson has this year. I don't want his first proper rugby match to be against quality Reds wingers too. Ease him into it and Carraro has never let anyone down.

Someone in the Tahs 2016 thread said Palu is training on his own still.

Pretty sure that was Shipperley, not Ioane, but otherwise probably yup.

Not that it will matter against this Reds team, they are not anywhere near where they were 2010 - 2013.

T

TOCC

Jim Tucker has 'predicted' the following lineup:

15. Karmichael Hunt
14. Eto Nabuli
13. Samu Kerevi
12. Henry Taefu
11. Chris Feauai-Sautia
10. Jake McIntyre
9. Nic Frisby
8. Jake Shatz
7. Liam Gill
6. Hendrik Tui
5. Rob Simmons
4. Caderyn Neville
3. Greg Holmes
2. Saia Fainga'a
1. Ben Daley

Cb-S8DBWwAEozNm.jpg:large

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm calling bullshit.

Honest BH, thats your issue with this squad? Not so sure we can judge that before we start seeing more than trials, love them both.

Both Ready and Finger, compared to TPN, can throw to a line out, and can make more than three tackles without being in the head bin. We win that one on one either way. All three can hook. Ready might win at the rucks.

Forwards are just not where I am sniffing. Try 10-12-13(15). And game plan.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tahs won a title with a creaky scrum in 2014.

Reds did exactly the same in 2011.

THP is far more important in Test rugby where the opportunities are fewer. Here it can decide a game, but rarely.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
An easy win for the Tahs without Gill

"Less difficult without Gill" is how I'd put it. In terms of being an easy win - first few weeks of the season, nothing is for sure.

Some teams start like a bat out of hell and some take time to get into gear.

Saturday is mid-20s with a possible shower by the time kickoff happens.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Pretty much what we expected with the obvious exception of Gill. I would've liked Gunn to start with Curtis on the bench but I won't lose any sleep over that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Honest BH, thats your issue with this squad? Not so sure we can judge that before we start seeing more than trials, love them both.

Both Ready and Finger, compared to TPN, can throw to a line out, and can make more than three tackles without being in the head bin. We win that one on one either way. All three can hook. Ready might win at the rucks.

Forwards are just not where I am sniffing. Try 10-12-13(15). And game plan.

It was a bad/dad joke contrasting the headline "We're Ready" and Andrew Ready.

There was absolutely no other inference intended in my post whatsoever.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I found it interesting watching the new Fox show rugby 360 last night, the Tahs players all had the same mantra, working hard and workrate in their interviews.

Now all they have to do is stick it into action

Status
Not open for further replies.