• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Reds Rnd 1 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Would have preferred to have Gunn run on.

Won't make any difference to the end result though.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Looking at the Tahs' lineout again, I'm less concerned:

Mumm is a decent operator, and with Dennis and Holloway jumping there are enough options, and more importantly some good lifters - I suspect this is where Ryan and Ta'avao also offer advantages: both 190cm+ compared to The Cat, and along with Skelton lifting we won't lack for total height at the top of the arc.

TPN's throwing is also much improved from the historical reputation he still carries around.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Would have preferred to have Gunn run on.

Won't make any difference to the end result though.

Going into the game without a direct replacement for Gill will change the end result IMO. The Reds have just two chances to upset the Tahs - the set piece and the breakdown. Now their key breakdown man and one of the best opensides in Oz has gone down with stress fractures (you know, those injuries that put fast bowlers out for the season) and they decide to go with "experience" rather than a breakdown expert. Very poor team selection.

The only way they can win now is to have 80 minutes of scrums and lineouts. Not going to happen. For the Reds, this could get very ugly!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It is an OK lineout but if we aren't targeting you guys here then our coach is a bum. Simmons, Schatz and Neville are all very good at the lineout.

The ONLY way I see us getting close to your lot is to kick for the corners all day and then heap the pressure on at the lineout hoping to steal or disrupt and cause a knock on so we can have a crack in the scrum. That's it really.

Well we have our other game plan, but I'm pretty sure you guys will be expecting a little bit of 'give it to Kerevi and see if he can score' so it may not be as effective.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
The only way they can win now is to have 80 minutes of scrums and lineouts. Not going to happen. For the Reds, this could get very ugly!

Unless it rains. Any side with a strong set piece in the wet paying $5 is probably worth a punt, even if they're as harmless in attack as the Reds. And when they've got Goru on the bench, $5 looks even better. 80 minutes of scrum penalties could definitely decide the winner. It's just a pity Gill won't be there providing breakdown penalties or it might have been the best odds of the season.

I had backed the Tahs to win by 7+ but will check the weather just prior to the game. If it's wet I may reverse that. If it's dry... the Graham Factor should ensure a comfortable Tahs victory.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
We got more than enthusiasm, we got heart. I'll set the scene, 2011, Tahs camped on our line, scrum after scrum for 25 minutes the Reds held for, Tahs never scored and Waugh chucked a tantrum after the game. The boys gave all for each other that night.

All we need to do is kick a goal to get in front then pack scrum after scrum for 80 minutes, you know the Tahs won't get through, the game is in the bag.

Reds by 3.

You call that enthusiasm? Battle of the Somme. 1918. Imprompru rugby match. Jumpers for goalposts. Marvelous.

Rumour has it there was an outbreak of enthusiasm in the 1700s as well.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I found it interesting watching the new Fox show rugby 360 last night, the Tahs players all had the same mantra, working hard and workrate in their interviews.

Now all they have to do is stick it into action

Skinny Beale is always a good sign.

1456364834378.jpg

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
He won the Catchpole medal last year for being the best club player in Sydney playing mainly at flyhalf when I saw him.

He played in every game for the NSW Country Eagles in the NRC last year - though I can't remember his playing with great distinction.

He passes the ball well both ways and recently at training I have been noticing some long Larkham passes.

But his favourite position is inside centre. He has a wicked right foot step which is an effective alternative when people think he will pass.

He is big enough at 94kgs but doesn't really use his weight and I've never noticed him as being a robust tackler against big boppers.

This is a huge game for him and as one who watches a lot of schools players progress to wear the blue jersey, or maybe the gold, there will be a little tear in my eye as he runs on.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Lee, what's the story with Horwitz. I saw your line in the preview. How promising is he?

I have seen a bit of him - only on the box, admittedly. Right from the start I thought he showed promise, he is one of those players who always seems to have a bit of time, always looks organised and doesn't make mistakes.

Struck me as a real old-time five-eighth, stolid, nothing flashy.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I have seen a bit of him - only on the box, admittedly. Right from the start I thought he showed promise, he is one of those players who always seems to have a bit of time, always looks organised and doesn't make mistakes.

Struck me as a real old-time five-eighth, stolid, nothing flashy.

Stolid or Solid? One's a compliment, the other accurately describes English 10's.

Status
Not open for further replies.