• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Reds Rnd 1 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm not certain that Gardner actually has a good idea on a lot of the rules.
TBF, Reds were going for 7 mans at the beginning too, so there wasn't an issue.

When Talakai came back on, it was 8 vs 7, so a little confusion was OK, the issue was that when Gardner finally realised what he was missing, Hooper tried to argue. I mean FFS, if you didn't have to match numbers at uncontested scrums, why wouldn't defending teams consistently drop all the flankers into the backs and stick with the minimum 5?

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
No difference from the reds to last year. Good scrum. Solid lineout. Terrible everything else.

Tahs looked very flat for a while - barely got out of first gear in the second half.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
NSW won't want to put in that performance at the set piece against ACT or Otago. They were lucky that Qld don't have the firepower to crack their line. A good team will pummel them.

Giving away a yellow card against a seven man scrum is criminal.

That said, Blue 11 played a blinder - every time Qld tried to play with width, he had us covered.

Qld scrum is obviously a huge plus. Our lineout is a bit of a worry, and our kicking out of hand is poo. I'd like to think our backline will improve when McIntyre and Frisby play more tough games together. Hunt looked threatening in the handful of times he went looking for work.

And finally, great to see a good crowd at the SFS. Rugby ain't dead yet. And let's be honest, the Bondi Chooks are as crooked as a dog's leg.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Moral victory to the Reds, Uncontested scrums from the Tah's :}

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Tahs won't beat top sides with that set piece. Reds won't beat many with that general play. Tahs decision making awful near the end. Kick for 3? FFS another try to ensure BP not at risk with 10 to go and 17 pt lead. Very lacklustre. Reds set piece pretty good though. Not much else.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Ref feeling sorry for the Reds and trying to find a penalty.
Just penalised the grass for being too green and gave it to the Reds

He spent most of the second half trying to even up the penalty count. He was reasonably good in the first half, but the second half was his usual standard.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
So bloody cranky with that game. So many things I want to rant about. Couldn't be arsed so will just dot point.

- Tahs getting a BP is fucked. They should be fucking embarrassed. That was a disgrace.
- Kurtley 'Nicolas Sanchez' Beale.
- Angus Gardiner
- The Reds in general.

Fuck.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
He spent most of the second half trying to even up the penalty count. He was reasonably good in the first half, but the second half was his usual standard.

You are kidding right? I just want to clarify. When the penalty count went your way, he was good, but when it went our way he was rubbish?

Reactions: TSR

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
So bloody cranky with that game. So many things I want to rant about. Couldn't be arsed so will just dot point.

- Tahs getting a BP is fucked. They should be fucking embarrassed. That was a disgrace.
- Angus Gardiner
- The Reds in general.

Fuck.

To b fair to Beale, he did get hit. He went off for a head check.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

- Angus Gardiner
- The Reds in general.

Fuck.
If the Reds had a clue in attack they'd be a danger team - good set pieces. But sitting behind the posts they were just so lateral with ball in hand, and the plan really seems to be "hope one of the big bastard backs breaks a tackle or two". Tahs only shining light really was pretty efficient defence.
That said, the Tahs were only marginally better but at least had some straightening runners on angles at times.
The Tahs scrum was awful. At the end, when we finally got a scrum feed near our line, they just needed channel 1 ball, but put it under Latu and tried to push the Reds off it, something they hadn't managed all night. Retarded. And the lineout was picked apart by Simmons and co pretty easily when they wanted to.
Friday Brumbies might have put 80 on the Reds and about 30-40 on the Tahs.
Good(ish) for Tahs - Phipps (mostly), Guilford, Horwitz, Holloway, TPN apart from his lineouts at one point where we lost 3 or 4 in a row. No-one stellar.
I thought Frisby was busy for the Reds, Hunt had some moments, ummmmmm................
Gardiner was Gardiner - didn't really have a problem with him but he's not the best going around.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^ too lateral, too many loose passes, especially in that opening 20mins. Frisby and McIntyre need to develop as a pair to stop relying on the big buggers and actually start stretching backlines.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I was quite intrigued by the Ref in this game.

I hate when the referee gives threats and does not follow through with them, so I was somewhat pleased when a Simmons was sent to the bin after a threat by the ref in the first half.

In the second half right at the end I am sure the reds won a penalty and Simmons (needs to be forceful to the ref!!!)asked about a penalty try. the ref said that if the reds don't have forward momentum then a penalty try cannot be given.

This seemed fair.

Next scrum and the reds are moving towards the try line and a penalty is blown, a tahs player is sent to the bin and no 7 points!!! WTF?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Moments of the night for me - the bell-ringers by Beale to save that try (but did he release the man??) and Horne's monstering of someone at the end (at the game and couldn't tell which Red it was).

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Moments of the night for me - the bell-ringers by Beale to save that try (but did he release the man??) and Horne's monstering of someone at the end (at the game and couldn't tell which Red it was).

Greene, Horne absolutely hammered him into tomorrow.

And nup, Beale didn't release, and Phipps wasn't on his feet as well.

But fantastic tackle from Beale, used his body weight and didn't shirk the contact. You can't ask much else from a fullback. Maybe went a little high, but stuck on and hit hard so it didn't matter.

You can't say the same from CFS, who did everything you can think of wrong, including slowing down to make him an easier target.

Status
Not open for further replies.