• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Cantabs. Saturday, April 30, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Ed Craig back in Super Rugby.

Tahs roll the Crusaders.

Coincidence….. I think not.
20220430_152257.jpg

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
What a great game of rugby. Honestly after 2 close losses for the aussie teams last night, i kinda sensed that this could be a close contest. For me its a win for australian rugby. Not that the tahs beat an understrength crusaders side, but more because the crusaders were confortable resting players against the tahs. The tahs have clearly come a long way since last year. Well played boys.

Gamble is definitely worth a look for test season
I sorry mate, I have to disagree about Tahs beating an understrength Crusader's team, they simply beat the Crusaders, and to say the Crusaders were understrength is to perhaps hint at not enough credit to Tahs! They were bloody good!
I can't think of any Crusader's players that were available that would of made a huge difference. Tahs won that in forwards where they basically just belted the Crusaders at the breakdown, that not taking away from Tahs' backs either.
Very good performance and shows that a large part of rugby is the yop 10% and just mentally tearing into it!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Are you saying that as a Crusaders fan or a non front rower?
Well I played at time in front row, and not a Crusaders fan, but KOB WOB was right, the minute your shoulder goes below hips you hinging , it was pretty clear that what was happening to Bell, I wondered if he needed to just move feet back a little to avoid it. He was getting called by O'Keeke and the RA on sideline for it it seems, so they seemed to be getting same picture.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
One extra observation - I thought O’Keefe got the ruling on the high tackles by Dalzell exactly right and I think that is a good thing for all us if they continue to rule no penalty on those ones where the defender dips but has insufficient time to adjust.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Leichard ticks a lot of boxes. Great size ground for a Tahs Super Rugby ground. 10k nearly filled the place as opposed to bigger stadium, so the atmosphere was not like I've seen at a Tahs game since the glory days. On the downside, it's not easy to get to and from, the beer line EAS at times ridiculous (although it was full strength:) and the line to get in stretched back around 100m at kick off, so a lot of punters missed the first try and would have been dirty. Not much can be done about the first problem, but hopefully they can fix the other 2 because with a performance like that you'd expect the crowds to grow. It actually felt like a home game

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Great win, for a change we started well and had to be chased down

The saders were always going to come back, we showed again great attitude to hang in there
I feel a bit like the Tahs just got praised from their grumpy old dad whose normal feedback is something along the lines of a mumbled ‘God gave you shoulders for a reason son’

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

How awesome would be as a teenage lad having on one of your teachers running around at the elite level on the weekend. My younger sister had a teacher in primary school who played top level footy and we all thought he was the coolest bloke in the world. My boy had a coach in his last two years at school (he's just finished) who played test cricket and he and his mates absolutely worshipped the bloke (top fella too).

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Nothing original from me, but the atmosphere on the hill was fantastic, I think my best rugby moment since 2015. It was a bit quiet at kick off, but with the crowd still streaming in, and the full-throttle start from the Tahs, it built and built. Those TMO interventions for high tackles can be frustrating, but bloody hell, they're raw meat for a fired-up crowd.

Vailanu won't be third-string hooker for long - his metres after contact were impressive. Same with Pietsch. I think we gave away maybe 2 penalties for holding on in the attacking ruck? Incredibly few against a Kiwi side, evidence of the strength of runners into contact and great backup.

The Tahs seemed to have such confidence in their defence, and for good reason. As the Saders tried to up the physicality late, the Tahs just did the same. So different to last week when it seemed the Chiefs could rely on easy metres. The starting forwards were absolutely spent by about 75 min, I don't know how they finished it off.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
One of the really pleasing things last night was how strong the crowd was. Obviously winning games and playing better rugby are going to be the two big things there.

But those little things like Coleman’s connections with Shute Shield and Ed Craig’s connection with the next gen can’t be underestimated. In fact those sorts of things are hugely important because a genuine connection with grass roots and with new, young fans is vastly important.

Hopefully some more of them even end up on here.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
One extra observation - I thought O’Keefe got the ruling on the high tackles by Dalzell exactly right and I think that is a good thing for all us if they continue to rule no penalty on those ones where the defender dips but has insufficient time to adjust.

But that first call is inconsistent to how it has been ruled for a number of seasons (especially this one). Sure, there was a number of mitigating factors but the fact is he still hit the bloke in the head. Certainly should have been a penalty.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I largely agree - but it not completely inconsistent. From memory one of the Reds players got the exact same leniency Friday night.

In any case that is how I believe it should be reffed and that is the standard I would like to see applied. I am all for punishing poor technique or lack of effort which leads to head contact but, in this case, the defender did everything that is asked of him under the law requirements and, even with the utmost respect to player welfare, I don’t think we should punish players where they have done nothing wrong (it doesn’t help that he is an enormous human).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Surely, even with mitigating circumstances it should still be a penalty. The mitigating circumstances should take a card out of the equation, not the contact to the head.
No - that’s not how it works (to my understanding). If it is foul play than the entry point is a Red card and it can be downgraded one level to yellow with mitigation.

If it’s not foul play then it’s not foul play (whether reckless or careless) and there is no sanction.

I agree it’s inconsistently applied - but it’s not the first such ruling and the same rational has been used on contact in the air and tackling which turns the attacker past the horizontal. Part of the problem is that is subjective but, IMO, O’Keefe was 100% right.

Put it this way - if that was a Tah defender I would have thought it was unfair. If a defender does all the right things but the attacker twists and drops into their shoulder, how can you penalise them defende for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.