• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Cantabs. Saturday, April 30, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Fair enough. I'll take your word on that being the interpretation. If that’s the way the rules as interpreted I'd like to see it changed. In my opinion if we want head contact to not been part of the game, whether it’s accidental or otherwise, every contact with the head should be penalised.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Well then we need to start penalising attacked where theirnactions result in the head contact, IMO.

And I think that would end up even worse than what we have now.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well then we need to start penalising attacked where theirnactions result in the head contact, IMO.

And I think that would end up even worse than what we have now.
Yep but then all you do is drop your head and run into someone, and they will be penalised? That would be ridiculous, I think they got it pretty right now.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Yep but then all you do is drop your head and run into someone, and they will be penalised? That would be ridiculous, I think they got it pretty right now.
He was responding to me saying all head contact should be penalised. I doubt anyone would draw head contact intentionally to draw a penalty. I guess some might. I also think if the big crusaders lock had been penalised initially, he may have altered his technique on pretty much his next tackle, sparing him a card and Hooper an HIA. But that’s just me, I don’t decide the rules and will watch with whatever interpretations are used.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think the bigger issue Drew is that attackers already drop their head and we are already seeing players take dives and draw attention to the contact.

The problem at the moment is that all of the responsibility is put on one side of the equation. In my experience that never works well.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I think the bigger issue Drew is that attackers already drop their head and we are already seeing players take dives and draw attention to the contact.

The problem at the moment is that all of the responsibility is put on one side of the equation. In my experience that never works well.
Yeah, I do get that. Hopefully they’ll work it out soon as the impetus right now is on the defender. Then we throw in a player like edmed being tackled by someone much bigger than him and players take the ball low into contact to avoid turn overs. The rwc where the initial crackdown also seemed to punish the bigger players, the SA winger who’s small hit someone high and didn’t get called because he was the little guy. It is complex. Hopefully the administrators, refs and players work it out soon so the only ref symbol we see is arm in the air, not the square hand symbol for the TMO.

Reactions: TSR

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I largely agree - but it not completely inconsistent. From memory one of the Reds players got the exact same leniency Friday night.

In any case that is how I believe it should be reffed and that is the standard I would like to see applied. I am all for punishing poor technique or lack of effort which leads to head contact but, in this case, the defender did everything that is asked of him under the law requirements and, even with the utmost respect to player welfare, I don’t think we should punish players where they have done nothing wrong (it doesn’t help that he is an enormous human).
I agree TSR , when they were looking at the Reds player on Friday ,I was yelling at the TV he was bent and there nothing he could do, was pleased Williams got that right. and I believe O'Keefe got Dalzell's first one right as the player almost got swung into him. Was also bang on when he got Red Carded.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree TSR , when they were looking at the Reds player on Friday ,I was yelling at the TV he was bent and there nothing he could do, was pleased Williams got that right. and I believe O'Keefe got Dalzell's first one right as the player almost got swung into him. Was also bang on when he got Red Carded.
i agree it was the right call, but for him to do it twice in 3 minutes? would a penalty sanction have saved hoopers eyes getting more crossed?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Still pretty stoked with this win, reckon it was important for those young Tahs after their torrid season last year. Don't know how long the young guns would hang around without a feel good moment like that.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Still pretty stoked with this win, reckon it was important for those young Tahs after their torrid season last year. Don't know how long the young guns would hang around without a feel good moment like that.
Agree. That moment was huge. I'm sure there was a feeling in Ramms gut last night have I made the right call.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
How awesome would be as a teenage lad having on one of your teachers running around at the elite level on the weekend. My younger sister had a teacher in primary school who played top level footy and we all thought he was the coolest bloke in the world. My boy had a coach in his last two years at school (he's just finished) who played test cricket and he and his mates absolutely worshipped the bloke (top fella too).
Yep was wondering why so many shore boarders at the ground and we now know why

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
There was 1 element missing for me that would have been the perfect complement to such a rainbowing stiffy-time guard of honoured occasion.....

tj.jpg
tj.jpg
tj.jpg

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Oh God, just imagine if TJ was calling it. The game slipping away, his voice hoarse and rasping from imploring his charges on to please, please, please save him from this spiralling nightmare, this deleterious encroachment upon all that is right and just in the world. His equilibrium becoming disoriented, he falls off his chair, and again, and then again, TJ, TJ, are you ok, asks Marshall, yes, yes, I'm fine, I just cannot believe this is happening to my men I mean The Crusaders, I don't understand how Tom Christie, surely one of the greatest players in world rugby, could allow this to happen under his watch, no, no, they're not tears Justin, it's just my contacts are coming loose from my uncontrollable quivering, OH GOD NO, JUST HOLD ME JUSTIN, PLEASE HOLD ME, OH GOD JUSTIN I THINK I'M LOSING CONSCIO

Status
Not open for further replies.