• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Chiefs - Super Rugby RD6 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It is a once in a lifetime event.

Okay, ... um ... I think I seee ... No. I thought I had it for a minute but I still can't grasp the application to the Waratahs. Although if they ... no, still don't see it.

I did read in the SMH that the Waratahs aren't sure if they can keep Palu so all contract negotiations with other players are on hold, presumably all will happily wait to see how much money is left after Palu takes his share; no one knows when Elsom will actually start; and Vickerman, Turner and Mitchell are definitely gone for the season. Normal service has resumed.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
If the Tahs can put in another effort like they did against the Sharks they are in with a shot here for sure but I'd say the Chiefs by 3.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't know why the Tahs got so much praise for their performance against the Sharks, personally I thought we were crap. We let in 30 points at home which is just unacceptable, especially against a Sharks side which had trouble scoring tries recently. The performance against the Highlanders still remains our best performance of the year but it seems to be a bit overshadowed just because we lost. If we can replicate that one, we should win this game. We have Palu and Barnes back who didn't play in that one so I'm quietly confident.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Meantime, back at the rugby: the Tahs will have to play every bit as well as they did against the Sharks and then some. The Sharks missed 30+ tackles and made a slew of handling errors. The Tribe won't be travel weary in the last quarter after a bye week, as the Sharks were in Sydney.

Although the Tahs big ball runners bothered the Sharks away from the rucks, the forwards weren't so busy or effective in the contact zone until later in the game when such unlikely folks like Alcock and Ryan started pushing Sharkies off their ball. I fear the Tribe will be doing what the Highlanders and Force did: flooding Tahs rucks that are floodable and making them commit more numbers than they want to. This means there will be fewer Tahs forwards available on the next effort, which will be vulnerable.

The Tahs didn't get to their own rucks in those two games early enough to get the ruck hit, and just like a scrum that misses the hit, they faltered and were flooded from time to time. They have to get there earlier - even a Mintie sucking back can help.

And I hope that Robbie Horne doesn't rush out of the line so much. He misses a lot of tackles like that though some are not serious because they force the ball runner to run inside to be tackled by a team mate. But I wouldn't try it against SBW and Kahui. Nosiree Rob.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't know why the Tahs got so much praise for their performance against the Sharks, personally I thought we were crap. We let in 30 points at home which is just unacceptable, especially against a Sharks side which had trouble scoring tries recently. The performance against the Highlanders still remains our best performance of the year but it seems to be a bit overshadowed just because we lost. If we can replicate that one, we should win this game. We have Palu and Barnes back who didn't play in that one so I'm quietly confident.

Berrick didn't play against the Reds and Rebels but he played at 12 against the Highlanders, qwerty.
Meantime, back at the rugby: the Tahs will have to play every bit as well as they did against the Sharks and then some. The Sharks missed 30+ tackles and made a slew of handling errors. The Tribe won't be travel weary in the last quarter after a bye week, as the Sharks were in Sydney.

Although the Tahs big ball runners bothered the Sharks away from the rucks, the forwards weren't so busy or effective in the contact zone until later in the game when such unlikely folks like Alcock and Ryan started pushing Sharkies off their ball. I fear the Tribe will be doing what the Highlanders and Force did: flooding Tahs rucks that are floodable and making them commit more numbers than they want to. This means there will be fewer Tahs forwards available on the next effort, which will be vulnerable.

The Tahs didn't get to their own rucks in those two games early enough to get the ruck hit, and just like a scrum that misses the hit, they faltered and were flooded from time to time. They have to get there earlier - even a Mintie sucking back can help.

And I hope that Robbie Horne does'nt rush out of the line so much. He misses a lot of tackles like that though some are not serious because they force the ball runner to run inside to be tackled by a team mate. But I wouldn't try it against SBW and Kahui. Nosiree Rob.

I also thought our forwards were beaten in the contact zone against the Sharks, LG. We had lots of zero or negative metres at the gain line. This has to improve dramatically if we are to be competitive.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Did you see the Force game? It was a good return to form-ish

They weren't near perfect, but they put in for the 80 minutes and got a 4 try bonus point.

I will take that most weekends

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
The scrum should be a good battle. The front row of Wallabies will have their hands full against hooker Elliot, the iconic LHP Taumalolo, who loves to score a try, and young gun THP Tameifuna from Hawkes Bay, who weighs in at 130+ kgs.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
The scrum should be a good battle. The front row of Wallabies will have their hands full against hooker Elliot, the iconic LHP Taumalolo, who loves to score a try, and young gun THP Tameifuna from Hawkes Bay, who weighs in at 130+ kgs.

He would want to be a good scrummager at 138kgs, I don't see many LHP's moving his weight around.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I think the Chiefs remain vulnerable at the set-piece. Only one team wins if this game is fast & loose. Chiefs have exceptional talent but are inexperienced upfront. I'd like the Tahs to do the business upfront. Chiefs invariably get frustrated when they are deprived of good ball to return or turnovers.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Looking forward to this game. Chiefs have been in good form and the Tah's showed plenty of positive stuff last week. Tah's with the edge in the forwards IMO, and the key being how Barnes gets his backline going.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't think the Chiefs' front row is going to be as soft as some of you guys expect. They have surprised a few already.
Master tactician Smith will have the backs sorted. Should be a good game.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
What's with the Chiefs and the skinhead look? Was it for charity? I'm having a hard time telling one from the other....

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
So angry the ref went to the TMO. I would have put money on the Tahs going in the next phase or two.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
It is a fund raiser for a leukaemia and blood cancer charity. They get sponsored to shave their heads and the money goes to the charity.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
As usual the Tahs show that they cannot execute with decent skill level. A dominant scrum 5 out and clean ball and Barnes throws a pass that completely halts the attack and allows the defenders domination of the contact. This is the perfect example of what I have been continually harping on about for years regarding the Tahs. Lack of skills execution. Barnes is supposed to be one of the best in Oz yet he cannot throw a 15 metre pass with any accuracy. That was a clear try butchered.

maulman

Frank Row (1)
Gotta tell you blokes. If you go through life demanding perfection from a team you haven't put your hand up to assist personally - you are destined for abject disappointment.

I see a Waratahs team doing well against one of the best teams in the comp playing at home. Go the Tahs.

Status
Not open for further replies.