• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Force - 2011R12

Status
Not open for further replies.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Bloody hell people, I just read the last few pages of this thread, and all it was was both sides supporters blaming the other for playing negative and getting the rub of the ref. And about how poorly the ref played the game.

Get over it.

Fact is both sides kicked way too much, both sides killed the ball at rucks. Both sides had appalling skills.
It was an average game of rugby all round and while I am disappointed the Force lost, neither side deserved to win.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Bloody hell people, I just read the last few pages of this thread, and all it was was both sides supporters blaming the other for playing negative and getting the rub of the ref. And about how poorly the ref played the game.

Get over it.

Fact is both sides kicked way too much, both sides killed the ball at rucks. Both sides had appalling skills.
It was an average game of rugby all round and while I am disappointed the Force lost, neither side deserved to win.
I agree with just about all of that - average game, too much (very bad) kicking, both sides killing it, but 1 team scored 2 tries, and almost a 3rd, and kicked almost nothing, and the other never really got close to a try. Taking all your other good points into account, I would say 1 side deserved to win it a little more than the other, having actually played some footy, albeit mostly to a fairly low standard.

R

RuckinGoodStats

"At one stage the Waratahs strung 25 consecutive phase together lasting 3 min 31 secs."
"The were 76 tactical kicks from the hand, 32 by the Waratahs and 44 by the Force. Thats a kick on average every 26 seconds the ball was in play/contestable. "
"5 minutes and 54 seconds of the game was played inside the Force's 22, with another 2 minutes and 25 seconds played inside the Waratahs 22."

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Have to say I agree that it wasn't the most inspiring game I've ever seen, and although I really wasn't expecting the Tahs to have the ability to actually score some tries, I really didn't think the Force would be quite so average with the ball in hand, especially after their performance against the Cru.

Couple of incidents caught my eye that some people may be able to shed some light on:

1) When Beale made a big break late in the 1st half (I think) he had Barnes running off him who I thought was in a good pos to offload to when Barnes was taken out by Dellitt (I also think). No one seemed to notice it and there wasn't much of a camera angle on it either, anyone else notice?
2) Reasonably sure Pocock was getting a bit of stomping going on in the final rucks, which seems quite unlike him, but Baxter and Cross got pretty fired up and whichever Tah was on the bottom of that ruck (Alcock?) was limping around like a three-legged dog afterwards.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I agree with just about all of that - average game, too much (very bad) kicking, both sides killing it, but 1 team scored 2 tries, and almost a 3rd, and kicked almost nothing, and the other never really got close to a try. Taking all your other good points into account, I would say 1 side deserved to win it a little more than the other, having actually played some footy, albeit mostly to a fairly low standard.

Fair enough, although that first try was an absolute freak of a thing.
The team that won played better, I agree. But the way both teams played, it wasnt winning rugby.
I hope the Force pick it up next week, they are much better than that.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
As for number 9's go Brett Sheehan is playing far better then Luke Burgess, burgess is to slow at the moment and passing is poor for this stage of games. Feel sorry for Barnes (sort Of) but all he seems to do is kick the ball away.
force should have one, but the Tahs can hurt teams just like they did last night if your not in front by more then a try.

T

Tahfan

As for number 9's go Brett Sheehan is playing far better then Luke Burgess, burgess is to slow at the moment and passing is poor for this stage of games. Feel sorry for Barnes (sort Of) but all he seems to do is kick the ball away.
force should have one, but the Tahs can hurt teams just like they did last night if your not in front by more then a try.

+1

I'd actually like to see Burgo dropped for the Lions game, he has been god awful for a while now and should be told he is NEVER to kick again. Give McKibbin a go from the start and see how he gets on in an atmosphere that is friendly and opposition who should not offer too much.

I hope Burgess does not get a look into the Wallabies this year either. Phipps and Sheehan are ahead of him at the mo.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
But we were told more derbies are good.

Not.

They have for the most part been rubbish except for a couple of matches here and there with the Aus derbies by far the most dour.

If this is good for the game in this country I sure don't get it.

Yep, I'll put my hand up and admit I was one that said more local derbies would mean more exciting games. Really it's just been rather horrid.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
I hope Burgess does not get a look into the Wallabies this year either. Phipps and Sheehan are ahead of him at the mo.

GOD FORBID SHEEHAN EVER GOES NEAR A WALLABY SHIRT AGAIN
christ while we are at it why dont we bring back valentine? norton knight? ffs

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Plenty of people tipped the Force for this one, but even when they were in front the never seemed likely to win it.

The Tahs showed the same strengths and failings as in previous weeks. Burgess' passing was mostly fine in terms of accuracy, but was too often SLOW, and he still thinks he can kick (unfortunately). The set pieces went ok (for all the talk of Sharpe potentially ruling the lineout). Beale in the attacking line and rumbling forward work were both very effective - why do they only do it 20% of the time?!

C

centreman

Interesting to see that Growden and his mate have picked Ryan Cross as the Australian player of the round in this mornings SMH.
They must watch the games in a bigger alcohol haze than me.

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I thought Cross had a reasonable game. He managed to draw several defenders in each time he ran, if he only had an offload he'd be worth something. His defence was decent (from memory). I'd give him 6, 7 for the try.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
GOD FORBID SHEEHAN EVER GOES NEAR A WALLABY SHIRT AGAIN
christ while we are at it why dont we bring back valentine? norton knight? ffs

Sheehan has been very good for about 2 years.

You may be amazed to realise some players get better

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Interesting to see that Growden and his mate have picked Ryan Cross as the Australian player of the round in this mornings SMH.
They must watch the games in a bigger alcohol haze than me.

Maybe not player of the round, well, almost certainly not, but I thought he did well - defensively strong, ran the ball up well and always got over the gain line, just needed to distribute a bit more. And the try was good work, if clearly a bit lucky. He made few errors.
Edit - just regurgitated Crow's post. Missed that, sorry. Good post. Crow!!

Status
Not open for further replies.