• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Hurricanes - Super Rugby 2012 Rd 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

ten four

Stan Wickham (3)
the tahs only seem to give their backs the ball when it is slow ball.

I am not impressed with Barnes form lately, but to be fair, he only seems to get the busted fruit.

W

What2040

Gnostic,
I fplayers don't follow game plan - THEY should be dropped forthwith - whoever thay are !!!!!
Only need to do it once or twice - Still the biggest problem is ATTITUDE

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The really interesting thing for me last night was the scrum. It was terrible and you'd say the Canes had the better one all night. Was it just the conditions? How does the team with the best scrum all year lose the one part of their game which is a strength? All confidence?

Qwerty, agree, the suddenly weaker scrum was the key marker of this team's inner mindset as of today. But is it any surprise this team's confidence and motivation would now be at risk of cracking?:

- high level leaks to GG re serious 'repercussions' post SA

- emergency board meetings to 'review performance' but no subsequent announcement of clarity

- bad run of close losses to teams they'd expect to beat

- finals chances over

- coach shows remarkably low self confidence in declaring he'd accept demotion to Assistant again

- heavy Cheika speculation, and he's known as a take no prisoners type

- rumours that Gaffney will be the sacked scapegoat

- players saying they'll leave if Foley sacked

- players see crap crowd numbers

- on their 3rd captain of season

- etc.

With all the above, most teams would start to get anxious and down. And what in these circumstances is the rational basis for motivation?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
It was depressing to see Fatcat look into the stands in the first half. The look on his face was revealing. That was when I took note of the lack of crowd and the fact there did indeed appear to be more Hurricanes supporters.

Confidence would be shot. How will that translate into Wallaby performances I wonder?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Gnostic,
I fplayers don't follow game plan - THEY should be dropped forthwith - whoever thay are !!!!!
Only need to do it once or twice - Still the biggest problem is ATTITUDE

There are always identifiable - and often complex - reasons for poor 'attitude'.

It's not something that can be dictated via Attitude Enhancement Consultants coming in with pep talks. Or an aggressive coach just mandating it.

Good attitude comes from excellence of leadership and a sound culture built from the ground up. A serious, deliberate, and lengthy process. It's then enhanced by the fruits of superior team work and later success.

Capt_Funk

Bob McCowan (2)
Fuck me, is this a club with 130 years of history in a rugby heartland, or should we just close the gates and hand the place over to another AFL expansion team? Show some fucking pride in the jumper.

the thing is, the original concept of the club - at least at this level - is dead. this is a franchise. a club used to represent where your roots were. it had heart and represented something special to be part of. you were proud of the badge on your heart and you played for it accordingly.

those days no longer exist in super rugby. players choose their team based on how it best serves their own needs. there is no pride in the jumper anymore - sorry. there's personal pride, sure, but not provincial. the concept of a queenslander choosing to play for nsw didn't really exist 20 years ago, did it?

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Cheika running the show with Gaffney sounds enticing (no need to worry about the Randwick mafia anymore, they at 0-6, ha).
That would be the closest thing to a broom. A couple of blokes who have run serious programs in the nth hem over prolonged periods.
Foley, Bowen just don't have it.
You could even include Bakewell who appears to be making some headway with Easts.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
AH yes it did Captain. One of Qlds best was a Narabri boy who played fullback for Randwick and NSW before Qld. Want to guess who it was. People have always moved states and areas to get a game. Some even moved countries to play and still do.

I think this is what Gregan referred to when he said Passion is over-rated (or something similar).

I agree fully with Redshappy but would prefer the model that Effective Management Leads and builds the culture from the top down raher than the bottom up.

W

What2040

There are always identifiable - and often complex - reasons for poor 'attitude'.

It's not something that can be dictated via Attitude Enhancement Consultants coming in with pep talks. Or an aggressive coach just mandating it.

Good attitude comes from excellence of leadership and a sound culture built from the ground up. A serious, deliberate, and lengthy process. It's then enhanced by the fruits of superior team work and later success.

To me I agree with you on a forensic basis but friggin hell what about each and every player just digging in, play to ability, play for their mates, coach and state. if they cannot do that then piss off to Japan or Spain and give some lads who have the necessary qualities a shot. I think we all tend to look for excuses by degree.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
When we were watching the game, my wife made the comment about how soft she thought Timani was, considering the size of the man. If I recall correctly, he did go off with a shoulder injury.
For the last few games when he comes off his shoulder is iced, so likely carrying an injury. Will be interesting to see how he goes on Tuesday night.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Btw, am I alone in missing the 'sound' of the man most likely to revive morale around these parts with all manner of explanations and bases for hope - WJ, where art thou this fine day?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Btw, am I alone in missing the 'sound' of the man most likely to revive morale around these parts with all manner of explanations and bases for hope - WJ, where art thou this fine day?

I just arrived and I for one am shocked, so many people around here have been wishing and hoping the Tahs hit rock bottom, last night they do and Instead of rejoicing in your victory at your anti support the same players come on here and criticism some more. You can't have it both ways, stay a course here.

The team can play, psychologically they are now completely destroyed and I for one blame the naysayers and negative Nancy's (you know who you are) how people on here can ask players to take passion from something there so willing to destroy I will never know.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Thats alright WJ I blame you and your ilk for reassuring, pandering, diverting debates and by making continual excuses, allowing the Board and the coaches a way out instead of being made to take responsibility.

I have said on many occassions that this is a very good Tahs squad with some hugely talented players. They are not coached well, they are clearly unfit, and crumble under pressure. In short they have not been given the tools to succeed by those in charge.

Why should players like Alcock or Carter be scapegoated by those in charge to save their own skins? Some have recently said they will walk if Foley is sacked and to that I say goodbye. Unfortunately they being inside the problem may not have a clear view of the issues, and that is a reason why a full cleanout will be needed.

Nothing better illustrates the farce that is the leadership within the Tahs than the Captaincy of this side. At the start of the year they select Elsom to be Captain (and no matter what you say about him being elected to the position by the players the position is an appointment by the Coaches and ratified by the board) even though he was never going to play before week 6. Then they appoint a "leadership group" and after a game select Halangahu as the run on Captain who wasn't in the "Group". Then as the going gets tougher and they really start showing the lack of leadership, even though they now have their appointed Captain on the field, they drop another member of their "group" from the 22 in Carter.

Directionless. Reactive and have no clear plan. This is just the most straight forward example in which the board and coaches have destroyed a good squad's chances in this competition.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
WJ, blaming the naysayers and the negative Nancy's for the Tahs abject performances is an impressively long bow.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
You really are a child WJ. The naysayers are as passionate as you are about the Tahs, as evidenced by people like me paying year on year for so long. You state we wanted them to hit rock bottom. What was the point of me last year calling for change? Precisely to prevent this farce from coming to fruition. It was only blind patriots such as yourself who obfuscated the debate (as you are doing again with this tripe), excused the failings and accepted that the minor change of not renewing Hickey (as opposed to terminating as you yourself pointed out many times) for his deputy (and as revealed this week the real coaching force at the Tahs for the last two years). Go back and have a look, passionate but realistic fans called for massive changes to prevent this situation. I for one take no pleasure in it, after being a Waratahs supporter for over 30 years.

I think you will now find yourself on your own unless you find Michael for a hug. Maybe Erwin and Arvid will be along as well and you can convince yourselves that the nasty people telling the truth destroyed the Tahs and maybe their negative Kama made players pull hammies and kick poorly.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
In the broad church of Waratahs supporters on G&GR there is room for us all.

I think that wj is much more of a realist than he is given credit for. He sees the faults and shares the disappointments but his love for the 'Tahs transcends everything else. He also has a very subtle sense of humour at times and appears not to mind much being the butt of other people's jibes.

Others are infuriated by what they see going on and are determined to make their views known. They attack their targets with great enthusiasm.

I think I am in a small sub-group of one. I forbear from criticising players. They are young blokes giving it their best shot usually for very modest reward. Most I believe are very sensitive to criticism particularly if is sustained and unfair. But from the stands or the living room they are easy targets. On the other hand I am relentless in attacking those in positions of power and privilege who from either incompetence or malice do great damage to the careers and dreams of other people.

We should be prepared to endure this current period of purgatory together. It will pass.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Unfortunately, the players are the face of the team and bear the brunt of the brick bats thrown the Tahs way. The Tahs are in a hole, but it could be worse…like the Reds pre-2010.

I, like many others, would be very keen to hear what the board has to say for itself. The only time we, as fans, get to see members of the board would be when there is a member or fan forum. Having seen some of them there, I get the impression some would rather be elsewhere…probably don’t want to be around the average punter. :) So I doubt we will hear from them anytime soon.

As a season ticket holder, it is a misnomer to be called a “member”. What am I actually a member of? My understanding of member is that as a member I would get a vote on the board or at least attend the AGM.

Status
Not open for further replies.