• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Week 8 - Waratahs vs Force - Saturday 15 April @ 7:35pm

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Swinton's late hit on Strachan (20 secs into the game) .
1,000 words.
Strachan - 182cm; Swinton - 196 cm.
High shoulder contact direct to head.
Lifting at point of contact. No attempt to lower tackle height.
No mitigation.
No card. No TMO review.
Nothing to see here?

Attachments

• Strachan - Swinton - Ball in View.jpg
    Strachan - Swinton - Ball in View.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Swinton - Strachan - The Contact_25 Apr 23.jpg
    Swinton - Strachan - The Contact_25 Apr 23.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
It’s funny how with the changes this year with regards to speeding up the game how a lot of these have been missed during games both here and in NZ.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I think both the above incidents warranted a yellow card. What do the touch judges do when they are right there with play, along with the ref? This is where the TMO should review a few times with the game kept going and then let the ref know to pull it up and issue a penalty, yellow or red, for these blatant incidents?

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I’ve gotta admit I don’t have much to do with the local scene. But I’m pretty sure it’s stayed pretty stagnant.
Borders being locked down last year certainly hasn’t helped the cause with a lot of expats heading back home for work.
As for attracting kids to come over from AFL to possibly play local and for the Force? I don’t think there’s too much of that happening either.
I suppose that is the goal though both in Perth and Melbourne… to get kids playing. I know friends in Melbourne say majority of young kids are only interested in playing AFL. Hasn’t changed. So going forward the Rebels and Force will always have blow in players from QLD, NSW, ACT or Overseas. Hardly growing the game?

Last edited:

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I was at the game, I didn’t see the Swinton hit as people getting seated next to me at the time, but obviously not a good look. The flying seatbelt on Jorgensen and Perecki slow to get up and a tad wobbly on his legs 5-10 minutes before coming off for his HIA were obvious from the stands. Footage of HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) copping a high shot was on the big screen. What were the officials watching?

Last edited:

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Qwerty assured us two weeks ago he’s never seen this penalised…
Difference being HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) swam through the maul, not around it. I’m still shaky on what the rules are, but watching the replay that seems to be a difference.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
As Cron said probably their worse game of the year. Need consistency across the team and a game where we fly out of the blocks rather than starting 7 to 14 points down. Need our injured players back, although we've done well with plugging players in and staying competitive which is a credit to Cron and the coaching staff.

As mentioned above the Force need to keep a good core of players together for multiple years to build off and plug in the best emerging WA talent if they warrant selection. Come on Rugby Australia, the Force need an increase in their salary cap to attract some more talent over West. Either that or increase it for the whole competition and stipulate that teams must spend up to a certain percent of the amount each year. Similar to the NFL.

I admire and salute the players that have taken the chance to come and play in the West over the years and found the experience to be a wholly positive one. Some extra money though would go a long way to leveling the competitive balance.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Difference being HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) swam through the maul, not around it. I’m still shaky on what the rules are, but watching the replay that seems to be a difference.

I’d have to watch it again, but I’m sure Pugh was fine until he collapsed it, which is what HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) was also done for…

Edit: just watched it - exact same scenario.

Pugh was right on the ball carrier and he was done for collapsing.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
The HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) and Pugh issues to me were very similar, both bringing cards. It seems to me, as both players had their hands on the ball, they were knocked over by the momentum of 16 other 110kg plus players all moving in one direction. I don't see how it was possible for either of them to remain on their feet, and so fail to see why it should be a penalty. Why should we card someone for doing something impossible to avoid?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’d have to watch it again, but I’m sure Pugh was fine until he collapsed it, which is what HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) was also done for…

Edit: just watched it - exact same scenario.

Pugh was right on the ball carrier and he was done for collapsing.
What's the time this occurs?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It’s in the first half… Pugh was carded.
Ok saw it, interesting one for sure, I reckon he's done him from an offside/wrong position in the maul (and then collapsing it/getting involved).

I'd love for someone who's actually qualified to clarify the law here.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
The HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) and Pugh issues to me were very similar, both bringing cards. It seems to me, as both players had their hands on the ball, they were knocked over by the momentum of 16 other 110kg plus players all moving in one direction. I don't see how it was possible for either of them to remain on their feet, and so fail to see why it should be a penalty. Why should we card someone for doing something impossible to avoid?
Gotta agree re the penalty. Same at times last night for both sides with the rolling away. How the Fark are you meant to get out of the way with 2 or 3 knuckleheads coming in over the top to clean you out.
Unfortunately for Pugh his card was a team yellow. But regardless in both instances HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) and Pugh really went unrewarded for good play.