• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Week 8 - Waratahs vs Force - Saturday 15 April @ 7:35pm

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Ok saw it, interesting one for sure, I reckon he's done him from an offside/wrong position in the maul (and then collapsing it/getting involved).

I'd love for someone who's actually qualified to clarify the law here.
Pretty sure ref clarified he was fine until he collapsed.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I’d have to watch it again, but I’m sure Pugh was fine until he collapsed it, which is what HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) was also done for…

Edit: just watched it - exact same scenario.

Pugh was right on the ball carrier and he was done for collapsing.
How did he get to the ball though? Through the middle or around the side? To my eyes, Pugh came around. I could be wrong. As Froggy says, the momentum of all those other players had a hand in both instances. If the defending player legally gets to the ball carrier it should be legal to bring the ball carrier to ground. Like in every other facet of the game. But I guess it’s a maul, where the obstruction rule doesn’t apply, so why should tackling the player with the ball apply?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How did he get to the ball though? Through the middle or around the side? To my eyes, Pugh came around. I could be wrong. As Froggy says, the momentum of all those other players had a hand in both instances. If the defending player legally gets to the ball carrier it should be legal to bring the ball carrier to ground. Like in every other facet of the game. But I guess it’s a maul, where the obstruction rule doesn’t apply, so why should tackling the player with the ball apply?

Pugh was on the ball carrier from the start of the maul as the Tahs didn’t form it very well…

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Gotta agree re the penalty. Same at times last night for both sides with the rolling away. How the Fark are you meant to get out of the way with 2 or 3 knuckleheads coming in over the top to clean you out.
Unfortunately for Pugh his card was a team yellow. But regardless in both instances HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) and Pugh really went unrewarded for good play.
Maybe, when up against a rolling maul, just go behind the goal line and prepare for the kick off

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Pugh was on the ball carrier from the start of the maul as the Tahs didn’t form it very well…
Ok. I’m not going to rewatch. But will take your word for it. But with the current laws what would Pugh and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) do to not get penalized and stop the ball carrier at the same time? Why was the one from (I think) the Rebels Reds game last week where the same scenario happened not a penalty?

Last edited:

Pokinacha

Dave Cowper (27)
It’s the collapse that where the penalty is coming from. Both players came from an onside position, through the maul (Pugh less so) ‘tackled’ the ball carrier and took them to ground.
The fact that the only person who can end a maul is the ball carrier who is being obstructed by up to 14 players shows that the law must change.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It’s the collapse that where the penalty is coming from. Both players came from an onside position, through the maul (Pugh less so) ‘tackled’ the ball carrier and took them to ground.
The fact that the only person who can end a maul is the ball carrier who is being obstructed by up to 14 players shows that the law must change.
Except there are so many of these where the ref says the "collapser" is fine as he was on the ball carrier and awards a scrum to the defending team.

Need a proper referee to clarify what's going on here.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
So I guess the only way either player could do anything was if they stripped the ball from the ball carrier while remaining upright? Ridiculous. Yeah, rule needs revising.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Swinton really looks like he just cannot or will not adapt and learn. It is just too risky to have him in a Test team unless he does. Then again, Eddie liked Jonny Hill. :oops:

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Swinton's late hit on Strachan (20 secs into the game) .
1,000 words.
Strachan - 182cm; Swinton - 196 cm.
High shoulder contact direct to head.
Lifting at point of contact. No attempt to lower tackle height.
No mitigation.
No card. No TMO review.
Nothing to see here?
There 'could have been a TMO review in the background, that's what 'should' be occurring, with them flagging possible foul play with the referee if they feel its warranted. So that 'could' have happened, or they just totally missed it. The fact that it's been cited is a fair indication that it was worth more of a look.

It's hard to judge how bad it is without a better camera angle, but it didn't look great, but like some have mentioned, there appears to be a few things being missed (or ignored) across all games which I'm surprised at. It would be interesting to have some insight as to how the referee teams are approaching this SuperRugby season.

Pokinacha

Dave Cowper (27)
but like some have mentioned, there appears to be a few things being missed (or ignored) across all games which I'm surprised at. It would be interesting to have some insight as to how the referee teams are approaching this SuperRugby season
It seems completely different between RA and RNZ refs. And then dependent on each team. That’s concerning coming into a RWC because we’re going to be playing with non RA refs and the Kiwis won’t get RNZ refs. There will be a learning period and I believe the team that adjusts the quickest, will be in the front runner for a finals spot.
Sadly that takes away from the rugby itself

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Was the Swinton hit replayed during the game? Because if there's no close-up and the only view is that zoomed out camera he could get off due to not being clear on where the contact was made