• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Week 8 - Waratahs vs Force - Saturday 15 April @ 7:35pm

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Was the Swinton hit replayed during the game? Because if there's no close-up and the only view is that zoomed out camera he could get off due to not being clear on where the contact was made
Depends on who’s in charge of the footage at the game I suppose. I hardly doubt the home team is going to replay some contentious shit on the big screen if it happens to be them infringing. It’s a bit different if the ref or tmo asks for it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Depends on who’s in charge of the footage at the game I suppose. I hardly doubt the home team is going to replay some contentious shit on the big screen if it happens to be them infringing. It’s a bit different if the ref or tmo asks for it.
Stan couldn't give a shit about the Waratahs. This isn't a French TV director situation

If it wasn't, I doubt there's a close up view of the hit. It might save him.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
TMO can go back and watch it whilst play is on going though I thought? Surprised it wasn’t because Strachan went off for an HIA I think.

Can’t take Swinton to a WC. He’s just likely to do something and end up with a suspension.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The home "team" does not control the footage. Some peanut at the ground does. Ultimately it will come down to what footage the broadcaster has. It looks pretty damning from that view but I have no doubt they'll contest it if that's what the judiciary rely on. Every team would.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Was the Swinton hit replayed during the game? Because if there's no close-up and the only view is that zoomed out camera he could get off due to not being clear on where the contact was made
No, it wasn't replayed, but the TMO has access to all the camera angles/feeds. They're not restricted to the broadcast cuts (this is why you see issues like in the Brumbies game where the TMO had clearly noted a knock on leading up to a try, but was struggling to get the broadcaster to replay the correct footage for the referee). Considering it was a hit on a player who'd literately just kicked a ball, I doubt there wasn't still a camera or two tracking Strachan so there will be other camera angles of the incident which will be used when the incident is judged to see if it meets the red card threshold or not.

From the one wide angle shot it's hard to gauge the extent of the incident, or even where he initially makes contact (is it direct to the head, or is that secondary). Swinton needs to be bending more at the hips, he isn't a short boy, but he's far from entirely upright if you actually look at his body shape, and the distance between his feet and Strachan's at the point of the tackle. I'm not saying it looks great, just that without better views we can't really definitely say, we'll know soon enough when his citing gets resolved.

Stan couldn't give a shit about the Waratahs. This isn't a French TV director situation

If it wasn't, I doubt there's a close up view of the hit. It might save him.
The home "team" does not control the footage. Some peanut at the ground does. Ultimately it will come down to what footage the broadcaster has. It looks pretty damning from that view but I have no doubt they'll contest it if that's what the judiciary rely on. Every team would.
The camera work/production is likely happening by whichever company Stan outsources to (a NEP style company or someone similar). The broadcaster cut we see is not the same as all the footage that would have been captured by the cameras on the night. Most modern/professional sporting teams access the extra non-broadcast footage when they can for analysis reasons.

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Except there are so many of these where the ref says the "collapser" is fine as he was on the ball carrier and awards a scrum to the defending team.

Need a proper referee to clarify what's going on here.
This isn't a direct response to your post but the topic has changed so I'm just using yours to go back to this subject.

In the interest of the paying public (the people who generate the revenue for the code) WR (World Rugby) need to make the laws less complicated, not more. The maul laws should be in unison with the other laws of the game, and the onus be on the coaches and players to work within said laws. It makes no sense that in theory the whole team can obstruct the defenders, and that the bloke with the ball can't be tackled.

I know it doesn't suit the home nations to do that, but from the perspective of a random viewer the maul laws are complicated, ridiculous, boring, and make people watch Love Island or some other shit on at the same time.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I really don’t see what’s the issue with mauls, teams should just get better at them and the coaches who can excel at them should be rewarded.

worth remembering the Crusaders have conceded something like 2 maul tries in 3 years and one of them was when they were down to 13..

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Disagree qwerty, the rolling maul completely contradicts every other facet of rugby. Put as simply as I can, it is allowing the attacking teams players to form an effective wall to protect the ball carrier from being tackled. BR may well protest that teams that aren't good at it complain, but that's taking a very parochial position. It alters the fundamental contest of rugby.

Alex Ross (28)
The mail is ok in principle. But the there is so much going on it’s rarely policed properly. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) was penalised for collapsing when he can through the middle and tackled the unbound ball carrier. He did everything right but the ref failed to notice the ball carrier lost his shoulder contact with the guys in front, so he was fair game.

Alex Ross (28)
Rough night for HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes). His scrummaging was off and he copped a lot of illegal treatment early. Perhaps he played through when he should’ve come off. His work rate seemed down a bit too.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
This isn't a direct response to your post but the topic has changed so I'm just using yours to go back to this subject.

In the interest of the paying public (the people who generate the revenue for the code) WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) need to make the laws less complicated, not more. The maul laws should be in unison with the other laws of the game, and the onus be on the coaches and players to work within said laws. It makes no sense that in theory the whole team can obstruct the defenders, and that the bloke with the ball can't be tackled.

I know it doesn't suit the home nations to do that, but from the perspective of a random viewer the maul laws are complicated, ridiculous, boring, and make people watch Love Island or some other shit on at the same time.
I believe maul rules are a point of discussion that’s come up on a few occasions when WR (World Rugby) meets with reps from various nations, so you’re not alone in wanting clarity.

Alex Ross (28)
If the only footage available is the one I have seen then nothing SHOULD happen either. I'm happy to assess any other footage on its merits but no way can they find him guilty on that footage alone.
Potential yellow card worthy late hit. But without something more conclusive that’s all it should be.
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) had two yellow card worthy hits on him in the space of 10 seconds and nothing was done so…..

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That footage is just from the broadcast…

All of the individual camera feeds are being run through a record train on an EVS.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

All of the individual camera feeds are being run through a record train on an EVS.
You'd hope so because if they manage to convict him on that one only it's peak WR (World Rugby) farcical.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Sure but they don't have a close up camera feed on every player, it was off the ball after the ball had been kicked. All the camera operators would've likely moved to another area of the game (the ball in the air, the kick reception etc.)