• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2022

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
My problem thus far is that whilst the force were ok they weren't THAT ok.

NOW, the force have lost their best 9, 10 (cubelli & miotti), their backup samoan 12 in Taefu (who IMO should have been the 1st choice), their 1st choice wallaby 13 in Tk and probably their best player & 15 in Irish legend Kearney.

In no way is the 2022 squad shaping up to be stronger then the 2021 squad. It's actually concerning worse, except at lock and wing.
Cubelli, yes. TK and Taefu also added something.

Miotti, as a youngster, not so much. Kearney, as an oldster, was well over the hill.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

Miotti, as a youngster, not so much. Kearney, as an oldster, was well over the hill.
There is no way McGregor or Strachan will be a clear improvement on Rob Kearney. Miotti is an international player - better then mcintyre, with kuenzle & pasitoa barely super rugby players yet.

It's a weaker squad and it's a very much a fingers crossed scenario that its a squad that will develop into a good one eventually in the future. I hope it does.

But it is still a full time professional rugby program that will feature maybe 1 first choice wallaby 23 member (rodda), and one who would maybe be in conversation as to whether or not they could be in the 33man squad (kaituu).

I think it's a fantasy that the 2022 version of the Force will be a stronger team then the 2021 version.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

I thought Kearney was a great addition to the team and one of the better performing fullbacks in Super Rugby AU. Did the little things right and provided maturity at the back.

He certainly wasn't getting any younger but I'd still take him ahead of McGregor/Strachan

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
yeah, I agree this is a better squad. Last year's looked too bits and pieces (and yet they did well). This looks a more rounded squad. Still not entirely sure who's in it and isn't but something like:

1 Robertson
2 Kaitu'u
3 Medrano
4 Rodda
5 Lee Warner
6 Anstee
7 Koteka
8 Stander
9 Fines
10 Pasitoa
11 Mataele
12 Kuenzle
13 Godwin
14 Ralston
15 McGregor/Strachan

16 Ready
17 Wagner
18 Lloyd
19 McCauley
20 Callan
21 McDonald
22 McGregor/Strachan
23 Talpine

So all but an international tight 5. Tizzano would be awesome with that pack.

Depth will be a concern if (when) injures happen.

I wonder if Ralston, assuming he is back to full fitness, might get a run at 15? He was fullback at school was he not? Wallabies desperate for a fullback and Ralston is a quality player.

Can see why the Force were looking at Blake Ferguson, not much size in that backline besides Mataele

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought Kearney was a great addition to the team and one of the better performing fullbacks in Super Rugby AU. Did the little things right and provided maturity at the back.

He certainly wasn't getting any younger but I'd still take him ahead of McGregor/Strachan
I am not sure McGregor or Strachan have much more improvement in them but they need it as not really super rugby standard either of them for me at this point.

Last edited:

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am not sure McGregor or Strachan have much more improvement in them but they need it as not really super rugby standard either of them for me at this point.
How interesting - such a narrow viewpoint. Is it any wonder that young talent is moving off-shore in order to get any level of appreciation?

I'm happy to see Rob Kearny retire having a fun year at the Western Force.
He did a fantastic job in mentoring the younger players and being so active in the Perth local community.

Players such as McGregor (24yo) and Strachan (24yo) are the future of Australian Rugby and really looking forward to watching their ongoing development.

McGregor was the Captain of Australia U20s and was going nowhere at the Rebels. (in fact couldn't get a regular game)
Who can forget his try-saving tackle on Pete Samu?? Not bad for a #10!
He's now re-badged himself as a F/B but also had a great club season for Palmyra at H/B.

"Silk" will continue to grow into his F/B and utilty back roles. So much potential.

Building for the future........looking good when you look at the limited stocks of Australian F/Bs.

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
How interesting - such a narrow viewpoint. Is it any wonder that young talent is moving off-shore in order to get any level of appreciation?

I'm happy to see Rob Kearny retire having a fun year at the Western Force.
He did a fantastic job in mentoring the younger players and being so active in the Perth local community.

Players such as McGregor (24yo) and Strachan (24yo) are the future of Australian Rugby and really looking forward to watching their ongoing development.

McGregor was the Captain of Australia U20s and was going nowhere at the Rebels. (in fact couldn't get a regular game)
Who can forget his try-saving tackle on Pete Samu?? Not bad for a #10!
He's now re-badged himself as a F/B but also had a great club season for Palmyra at H/B.

"Silk" will continue to grow into his F/B and utilty back roles. So much potential.

Building for the future........looking good when you look at the limited stocks of Australian F/Bs.
All allowed to have different views but for me not seen the potential you refer to. Time will tell but I am not so convinced. And no not a narrow view just a different view on these players to you and the fact is not all players will succeed at super rugby level. Maybe they might make it, maybe though won’t but I would say jury out at this point.

Last edited:

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
All allowed to have different views but for me not seen the potential you refer to. Time will tell but I am not so convinced. And no not a narrow view just a different view on these players to you and the fact is not all players will succeed at super rugby level. Maybe they might make it, maybe though won’t but I would say jury out at this point.
Totally agree and that's why we have such a high turnover (~30%) in Aussie Super Rugby clubs each year.
The average career in Super Rugby is about 2.5 seasons.

But identifying a players talent can be so subjective - especially when there is no set recipe for success.
Kellaway is a good example of someone who had to be tested elsewhere to improve his game.
I remember him having little impact at the Rebels or in the NRC games I saw against the WForce.

Matt Hodgson didn't get a cap in his 3 years at the Waratahs because of some serious injuries and he was lining up against a well-entrenched Phil Waugh.
He got his first Wallaby cap at 29yo (despite playing for Australia A and Aust 7s 6 years earlier) and was still playing Super Rugby 8 years later.
I've previously presented many stats which showed how Hodgson outplayed Hooper in most face-offs - and especially Hodgson's last Super Rugby game.
Individual player outcomes depend so much on opportunity, dedication, effort and with no small contribution from luck.

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Academy players announced

Tier 1 Fortescue Academy Players

Andrew Romano – Loosehead Prop – University of Queensland

Siosifa Amone – Tighthead prop – Associates Rugby Club

George Poolman – Fullback – Sydney University

Rupeni Mataele – Wing – Scots College, NZ

Ned Slack Smith – Back Row – Mount Barker College

Alex Masibaka – Number 8 - Associates Rugby Club

Jordan Williams – Wing – Aussie Sevens

Luke Callan – Lock – Wanneroo Rugby Club

Connor Seve – Lock – Wests Scarborough

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Western Force has announced nine players in the top tier of their 2022 Fortescue Academy program.

General Manager of the Fortescue Academy Chris Goodman, along with the pro-rugby staff, are focused on securing and investing in players that will be ready to be called-up into the main squad in the next few years, creating depth and a sustainable future for the club.

“It’s about building succession for the organisation. It’s about developing players so that two or three years down the line we have the players that we need,” Goodman explained.

“We won’t have to look elsewhere because these players are already entrenched in our language, our systems and our processes.”

The academy will have around 25 players work closely with Goodman, along with head coach Dylan Parsons and the pro-rugby team at the Force.

The top tier will train full-time with the Force team, the second tier will join the main squad in selected sessions, while the youngest group will train mostly after hours to allow them to work and/or study.

Read more..........

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Enjoyed meeting young Andrew Romano (19yo Prop from Qld Reds, Souths, Brisbane Boys High, Orange) who has joined the Western Force Academy.
Certainly a big unit, seems like a top bloke, has moved West, has been through his 2 week quarantine and now set to commence pre-season with the main squad on 1 Nov.
Big commitment from his parents who are moving to Perth from Orange to support Andrew in his quest to give rugby his best shot.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Enjoyed meeting young Andrew Romano (19yo Prop from Qld Reds, Souths, Brisbane Boys High, Orange) who has joined the Western Force Academy.
Certainly a big unit, seems like a top bloke, has moved West, has been through his 2 week quarantine and now set to commence pre-season with the main squad on 1 Nov.
Big commitment from his parents who are moving to Perth from Orange to support Andrew in his quest to give rugby his best shot.
Watched a couple of his Prems games with Souths this year I thought he looked good for a young bloke. Didn’t realise he was only 19.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Watched the Backs and Forwards for separate hour-long skills sessions yesterday.
The entire squad looks in good shape for the start of the pre-season.
The ex-Brumbies lads slotting straight in with Issak Fines looking ripped, Reesjan Pasotoa and Reece Tapine slotting straight into some hectic drills.
Bayley Kuenzle (minor foot niggle) keeping Michael McDonald company with a low impact recovery session. Both keen to make the main squad ASAP.
Very please to see Byron Ralston energetically back in the mix after a period of concussion management.
Also good to see some wider development Club players getting the benefit of the pre-season skills focus.
Some NZ and East Coast players still to move West and go through quarantine.
Attack Coach, Mark Ozich and Fwds Coach, Paul Tito, to join after the end of the NZ Provincial comp.
Exciting times.

Last edited:

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Watched the Backs and Forwards for separate hour-long skills sessions yesterday.
The ex-Brumbies lads slotting straight in with Issak Fines looking ripped, Reesjan Pasotoa and Reece Tapine slotting straight into some hectic drills.
Bayley Kuenzle (minor foot niggle) keeping Michael McDonald company with a low impact recovery session. Both keen to make the main squad ASAP.
Very please to see Byron Ralston energetically back in the mix after a period of concussion management.
Also good to see some wider development Club players getting the benefit of the pre-season skills focus.
Attack Coach, Mark Ozich and Fwds Coach, Paul Tito, to join after the end of the NZ Provincial comp.
Exciting times.
Sounds good. I really think Fines will become a bolter for the Wallabies once he gets some game time. Great talent.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Exciting times.
Force lost some pedigree in the backs so hopefully the brumbies backs recruits can step up...otherwise might be a long season

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Force lost some pedigree in the backs so hopefully the brumbies backs recruits can step up...otherwise might be a long season
There's some good players starting to get ready to show their stuff.
Look for Grayson Makara to get more game time this year.
Also pleased to see Byron Ralston back in full contact.

The Sea of Blue is used to looooong seasons RN39.
We're rebuilding after having been decimated by RAu in 2017- - only 4 seasons ago - so rebuilding a foundation for the long term.

Liking the consistent messsage coming from Tony Lewis the CEO.
Liking too the Tier 1 players that have been attracted to the WF Academy - some really good U20 talent.
Some of these will be on retention/development $$s from RAu which is very helpful - only possible if you have the program to attract good players.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hey RR

I reckon that you can count on all of these players for 2022 (but yet to be announced):

Greg Holmes - 2021
Tom Robertson -2021
Jeremy Thrush - 2021
Sitaleki Timani - 2021
Richard Kahui - 2021
Victor Harris - 2021

All but Robertson (on Spring Tour) & Harris (recovery from injury) are in the pre-season group.

Toni Pulu I think has been let go due to his ongoing struggle to stay injury free.
Real shame as a top bloke and a real rugby talent.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hey RR

I reckon that you can count on all of these players for 2022 (but yet to be announced):

Greg Holmes - 2021
Tom Robertson -2021
Jeremy Thrush - 2021
Sitaleki Timani - 2021
Richard Kahui - 2021
Victor Harris - 2021

All but Robertson (on Spring Tour) & Harris (recovery from injury) are in the pre-season group.

Toni Pulu I think has been let go due to his ongoing struggle to stay injury free.
Real shame as a top bloke and a real rugby talent.
Toni pulu a loss as indeed a talent. Wonder where he will pop up