• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2022

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Whatever happened to Ollie Hoskins? looked to have a bright future before the force were canned.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Whatever happened to Ollie Hoskins? looked to have a bright future before the force were canned.
Six seasons on with London Irish in the Premiership. Dunno specifically how he's doing, other than him starting about 50-60% of the time at THP. Still only 28 y.o.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
He'd be doing alright, although I should clarify LI were in the Championship rather than Premiership for a few of those seasons. Less coin before the team was promoted.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Confirmed Ollie Hoskins called into camp.

Congrats to the family

hoskins.PNG

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Western Force Emerging Academy (U16 & U18) players.

The Emerging Academy will commence the pre-season aspect to their training next Monday afternoon - training three times a week.
The Emerging Academy provides an opportunity for talented young players to develop their individual skills, game understanding and their physical capabilities.
Older players will be hoping to graduate from the RugbyWA Emerging Academy into the Western Force Academy at the end of 2022 season.

255531566_2147257078784566_4179864380054478704_n.jpg

Last edited:

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
So is rugby programs in many schools in WA? Just wondering…
There is the comp with 7 private schools (Hale, Christchurch, Scotch, Guildford, Trinity, Aquinas and Wesley), suprised only one from this comp on the list being Aquinas, Hale used to be the dominant team. Aranmore is a Catholic school and has a strong rugby program, Thornlie is a public school with a rugby program, but does union and league. I know this year they were trying to build a combined schools comp, but there wasn't much info on it and I think they just did a carnival called rugby schools cup this year and will try build from there. Other schools I saw involved were Lake Joondalup Baptist and Churchlands.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Covid-19 has prevented to kick-off for the Govt school in initiative.
As I understand it Tattarang will be paying for the Head Coach for 8 secondary schools.
Would love to see details, but on the face of it this is an excellent thing. Most schools will gladly start up a program for any sport, as long as there's someone to fund it. It's been a key pillar of AFL's growth for years.

Do you know if this is 8 new schools, or injecting some money into existing programs?

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
The PSA (private schools) are a little bit of an issue for development in WA. The programs aren't that strong and from year 10 players can't play club because it clashes. This takes the playing squad away from from a bunch of our Premier rugby clubs which in turn causes teams to fold and opportunities to disappear for kids who are not PSA.

From a quality perspective particularly bin younger years you spend you time teaching the PSA kids how to actually play at club land as opposed to playing biggest kid wins rugby.

Schools like Aranmore have better programs, but the PSA won't play them because they don't want to lose.

In short school growth is good but we need to find a way to improve both our club and school programs

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
There is the comp with 7 private schools (Hale, Christchurch, Scotch, Guildford, Trinity, Aquinas and Wesley), suprised only one from this comp on the list being Aquinas, Hale used to be the dominant team. Aranmore is a Catholic school and has a strong rugby program, Thornlie is a public school with a rugby program, but does union and league. I know this year they were trying to build a combined schools comp, but there wasn't much info on it and I think they just did a carnival called rugby schools cup this year and will try build from there. Other schools I saw involved were Lake Joondalup Baptist and Churchlands.
The old problem of trying to get rugby in public schools. Thornlie offering rugby and league interesting in dominant afl state.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Covid-19 has prevented to kick-off for the Govt school in initiative.
As I understand it Tattarang will be paying for the Head Coach for 8 secondary schools.
That sounds interesting - as key to unlock growth is foothold in public schools and great to see this initiative and look forward to following its progress.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
From Tom Gorman - local Geraldton Rugby Union supporter.
Hot off the press..............Keep up the great work Tom!!

Hi Sea of Blue - UPDATE on February event (Western Force v Qld Reds).

The event is going ahead with a small change.

Due to travel logistics around the Queensland Reds, the event will be now spread over 2 days:

FRIDAY afternoon/evening: WF v Qld Reds with a curtain raiser match of 2 Perth Teams. The main game will run from approx 5-7pm. SO - Friday night footy in Geraldton. The specific details of this event are still being sorted out, BUT IT WILL BE AWESOME.

SATURDAY morning: this will be a series of junior clinics and matches showcasing kids from Geraldton and the broader Midwest.

THE VENUE: the event will be at "The Recreation Ground" Cnr of Augustus & Francis Street Beachlands. If you search google under Railways Football Club you should find it. Its basically walking distance from the heart of town. So you can start in town and make come down.... a lot like HBF games!

I understand that it being on a Friday may/will limit people's capacity to travel up from Perth; but hopefully it can still work. It will be great to have the SOB mingle with the locals new to the game and get everyone to experience the rugby park experience of years ago.

Accommodation is always a problem in Geraldton. It is outside of school holidays, so hopefully that will help. If you are struggling to find options, please give me a call. I would suggest looking from Northampton to Dongara, and while the travel might be 40mins it will certainly open up the options. If there are enough people staying out of town, I know we can organise transport before & after the game for some sort of reasonable fee.

Anyway everyone - its all happening and its very exciting. Stay tuned for more posts.

PS I reckon 28 Jan or 4 Feb