• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2022

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Maybe they will bring back the Australia A team. That would be a perfect next step for Reesjan Pasitoa.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Brilliant news for the Force, says so much about what happening with them at the moment.

Again it all started with Nicola and Andrew Forrest making sure that we not only survived but are now starting thrive

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Excellent news....................
Force First to Pay Women Players.
Nick Taylor - The West Australian.
Western Force have become the first Australian Super Rugby club to pay their women players. The groundbreaking news comes on the eve of the Force women opening their Super season in a double-header with the men's side against Queensland Reds at HBF Park on Friday.

Read more...........(Edit)

Make that the second team - well done Rebels.

Last edited:

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Force players stood down for drinking

Dissapointing especially with Ready having prior form but good to see the player group drawing a line in the sand and own and drive team standards and culture, and for the players involved taking responsibility:

Full Article

Two Super Rugby players have been banned and a third is facing disciplinary action after drinking two glasses of wine with dinner on a plane

The Western Force have stood down two players and will sanction another for drinking on the flight from Melbourne to Perth last weekend.

In a bold marker for the team culture, the senior leadership group led the decision to suspend hooker Andrew Ready and winger Byron Ralston from Friday’s game against Queensland Reds.

Veteran prop Greg Holmes was not stood down for the match because the Force have a shortage of options at tighthead, but a penalty for him will also be determined in the coming week.

The action was taken because the trio decided to drink wine with their meal on the flight from Melbourne to Perth last Sunday, after the Force had defeated the Rebels 28-3 in their round two Super Rugby clash, with a six-day turnaround for the Reds.

It means Ready and Ralston will miss the historic first match the Force plays in Perth this year, with 8000 spectators expected to attend in what will be the first sports event in Western Australia since their borders were opened to the other Australian states.

The Force’s general manager of rugby, Matt Hodgson, said there was no drunken behaviour by the three players on the flight, however their decision to drink alcohol was deemed unacceptable by teammates.

“They weren’t drunk or intoxicated on the plane, they each had one to two glasses of wine with their meals, but this was a player-led decision and it was determined that because we were wearing Force uniforms and with the short turnaround between games they shouldn’t have been drinking,” Hodgson said.

“This is very much part of setting the standards for the culture we’re trying to build here.

“And I can’t fault the reaction of the three players, they made the decision to stand themselves down from selection this week.

“They addressed the entire playing group on the first day back to training on Monday, apologised for their choices, and then ripped into training and really helped the guys who are stepping up to replace them.”

Ready and Ralston both came off the bench in last weekend’s emphatic win – Ralston scored a try on the bell to earn the Force a bonus point.

Their places on the bench will be taken by hooker Jack Winchester, and 21-year-old Kalgoorlie speedster Grason Makara, who will make his Super Rugby debut in front of his family members.

“It is a big honour to play for the Western Force, and this match is a huge occasion because it’s the 200th game for the club, and we are playing in front of the sea of blue,” Hodgson said.

Given the volatility around the Omicron outbreak, Force players left Perth last month and were unsure they’d get to play in their home city this season.

They moved their round one game from Perth to Canberra, and round four game against NSW Waratahs to Sydney.

But they’d kept the round three encounter against the Reds at home in the hope Covid would ease, and they’ll now get the chance to play in front of their local fans for the first time since hosting the Highlanders last May.

Hodgson said the team’s leadership group, led by captain Feleti Kaitu’u and experienced halfback Ian Prior, had been told by team management to “own and drive team standards and culture” in 2022..

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)

Dissapointing especially with Ready having prior form but good to see the player group drawing a line in the sand and own and drive team standards and culture, and for the players involved taking responsibility:

Full Article

Two Super Rugby players have been banned and a third is facing disciplinary action after drinking two glasses of wine with dinner on a plane

The Western Force have stood down two players and will sanction another for drinking on the flight from Melbourne to Perth last weekend.

In a bold marker for the team culture, the senior leadership group led the decision to suspend hooker Andrew Ready and winger Byron Ralston from Friday’s game against Queensland Reds.

Veteran prop Greg Holmes was not stood down for the match because the Force have a shortage of options at tighthead, but a penalty for him will also be determined in the coming week.

The action was taken because the trio decided to drink wine with their meal on the flight from Melbourne to Perth last Sunday, after the Force had defeated the Rebels 28-3 in their round two Super Rugby clash, with a six-day turnaround for the Reds.

It means Ready and Ralston will miss the historic first match the Force plays in Perth this year, with 8000 spectators expected to attend in what will be the first sports event in Western Australia since their borders were opened to the other Australian states.

The Force’s general manager of rugby, Matt Hodgson, said there was no drunken behaviour by the three players on the flight, however their decision to drink alcohol was deemed unacceptable by teammates.

“They weren’t drunk or intoxicated on the plane, they each had one to two glasses of wine with their meals, but this was a player-led decision and it was determined that because we were wearing Force uniforms and with the short turnaround between games they shouldn’t have been drinking,” Hodgson said.

“This is very much part of setting the standards for the culture we’re trying to build here.

“And I can’t fault the reaction of the three players, they made the decision to stand themselves down from selection this week.

“They addressed the entire playing group on the first day back to training on Monday, apologised for their choices, and then ripped into training and really helped the guys who are stepping up to replace them.”

Ready and Ralston both came off the bench in last weekend’s emphatic win – Ralston scored a try on the bell to earn the Force a bonus point.

Their places on the bench will be taken by hooker Jack Winchester, and 21-year-old Kalgoorlie speedster Grason Makara, who will make his Super Rugby debut in front of his family members.

“It is a big honour to play for the Western Force, and this match is a huge occasion because it’s the 200th game for the club, and we are playing in front of the sea of blue,” Hodgson said.

Given the volatility around the Omicron outbreak, Force players left Perth last month and were unsure they’d get to play in their home city this season.

They moved their round one game from Perth to Canberra, and round four game against NSW Waratahs to Sydney.

But they’d kept the round three encounter against the Reds at home in the hope Covid would ease, and they’ll now get the chance to play in front of their local fans for the first time since hosting the Highlanders last May.

Hodgson said the team’s leadership group, led by captain Feleti Kaitu’u and experienced halfback Ian Prior, had been told by team management to “own and drive team standards and culture” in 2022..
Not that I think it's a huge offence but Ready really doesn't help himself does he?

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Great to see the ABC reporting on the Force, thanks to Brett McKay;

Western Force returns to Perth Oval for first Super Rugby home game against Queensland Reds:

They say that good things come to those who wait, and the Western Force will be sweating on that to be the case, as they gear up for their first Super Rugby Pacific game on home turf this season.

When the season kicked off last month, the Force were hopeful – but certainly not confident – they would be able to return home to Western Australia at some point and play games in front of friends, family, and the devoted supporters that form the 'Sea of Blue' in Perth.

Western Force 2022

Rd 1 - Lost 29-23 to Brumbies
Rd 2 - Beat Rebels 28-3
Rd 3 - vs Reds in Perth March 4
However it was never clear when that would occur.

Among many tweaks to the Super Rugby Pacific draw already this season were the swapping of two Force home games scheduled for the first month of the competition.

Instead, they played the Brumbies in Canberra in Round 1 and will face the Waratahs in Sydney in Round 4 next week.

But their Round 3 clash this weekend against the Queensland Reds remained pencilled in as a home game.

Initially, they were granted approval from the WA Government to play the game at home, with the Force and Reds allowed to fly-in and fly-out for the game and remain in bubble conditions for the one-night stay.

But now the Force are home. Properly.

And they are getting ready to play a home game at the Perth Oval for the first time since June last year, after starting a third straight season on the road.

"It's going to be a real buzz around town and certainly around the team so yeah, we can't wait to get out there," Force scrumhalf Ian Prior told ABC Sport this week.

"Obviously playing quality opposition as well, which makes it even better. So yeah, can't wait."

If we go back to Saturday night, and particularly the way the Force finished off their bonus point win over the Melbourne Rebels in Melbourne, the reactions and the celebrations when winger Byron Ralston crossed to secure the bonus point win and in the dressing rooms post-match spoke of a team exploding with relief.

A Western Force tradition over the last year has been not just their club song after a win, but the joy that emanates through their social videos as they belt out a selected contemporary hit as well.

On Saturday night, they thumped the Rebels 28-3, scoring three tries to none. The song of choice? Miley Cyrus' Wrecking Ball.

It felt appropriate given the job they had just done on the Rebels, but that performance also came with the knowledge that yet another impromptu east coast tour was just about done. Sing the song, pack up the next morning, head to the airport. They'd be home that afternoon.

"Getting on that plane with a big smile on your face is always a really happy feeling, and to know that we're coming back with a bit of momentum to play in front of the Sea of Blue, you know, that's even bigger for us," centre Kyle Godwin says of the trip home on Sunday.

"We feel like we're in a process of trying to build something nicely here and looking forward to implementing that against the Reds again on the weekend."

Prior explains that the squad had Premier Mark McGowan's press conference playing on phones while travelling on a bus late last month when it was announced the WA border would open to the rest of Australian from March 3.

"There was a big cheer around the bus as soon as he locked in the date," he said.

But despite landing in Perth on Sunday, the Force squad wasn't quite 'home'. They still had to get through a couple of days of hotel quarantine, while kicking off preparations for Queensland this week in another bubble.

Once out of quarantine, the players and staff will enjoy the luxury of waking up on game day and getting out of their own beds. And there's no disguising that playing at home again – especially when they weren't sure when or if they'd get to do it this season – is going to mean a lot.

"It'll be special just to see the loved ones and then also just to get to play in front of them on Friday night. And for our fans as well, we haven't played at home since June," Prior says. "It's going to be an exciting couple of days."

Godwin can only agree.

"A lot of the other boys have young families here, and also I'm liking the fact that I've got my family and a bit of extended family here at the moment. To play in front of them, that's a dream come true," he said.

"They're your biggest supporters, so yeah, to play in front of them family and friends, it's always a special moment."

Come Saturday morning, and with a win over Queensland hopefully behind them, the Force get to become normal citizens of Perth again. Their favourite cafes and restaurants are all back on the cards, as are things like school runs, and backyard chores. And maybe some neglected hobbies, too.

"If I'm feeling up for it, I might be going for a cheeky surf," Godwin laughs.

"Hopefully, there's a bit of swell, but certainly some time with my partner. I think I might be in the bad books, if I spend five or six weeks away and I don't plan anything with her on Saturday."

With a couple of young kids in tow, Prior says he's looking forward to an old family favourite.

"Going for a walk down to the local cafe with the kids and my wife Lizzy. I've really missed that sort of morning routine, especially on your days off as a family when you realise how busy you are," he said.

"My daughter really likes to make a smoothie with me in the morning and it takes about 20 minutes, but we get there. All those special family times will be really good."

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
2 glasses of wine with dinner? FFS
Look I get the 2 glasses and to me hearing it would be no issue for me but if they are setting high standards I suppose who am I to argue. Without details internal matter and again we are talking about high performance pro environment. Won’t comment again as I am on the fence as there standards they set not mine and nothing against the players from my side.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not that I think it's a huge offence but Ready really doesn't help himself does he?
I do find it scary that ready is there next best hooker after Kaitu’u. As doubtful he would get a gig with any other oz super rugby side. Perhaps one area for force to build depth.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
It was a mid-morning departure from Melbourne (so lunch - not dinner) on a recovery day.
The team rules are set by the player group at the start of each new season.
It's the player group that raised this matter and recommended the discipline.
I have no issues with this.
Maybe the players are aware of the 4 wins from 22 games (344 points for v 615 points against) in the last 2 years of Super Rugby.
PS From personal experience I can confirm that this player group knows how to party and have fun - but at the right time.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

Full Article

Who cares? You had a great win the whole club should be proud of. You made us look third rate. So the lads had a glass of wine on the plane but it’s a non issue

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Excellent news....................
Force First to Pay Women Players.
Nick Taylor - The West Australian.
Western Force have become the first Australian Super Rugby club to pay their women players. The groundbreaking news comes on the eve of the Force women opening their Super season in a double-header with the men's side against Queensland Reds at HBF Park on Friday.

Read more...........(Edit)

Outstanding.

I do think Twiggy missed a opportunity but not fully professionalising a womens team over there. Sign leaguies and AFL players and 7s players. Tour them to NZ and beyond. I think that would have done more to revolutionise the game than GRR.

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Got to say force exceeded my expectations of where I thought they would be at. No they are not the reds or brumbies standard who set the Benchmark but they showed last night they are closing the gap.

The brumbies acquisitions have immediately added value, whilst the wingers they have with Mataele and puli are excellent. Throw in the experience of kahui and Holmes (not seen thrush this season so assume injured as would have thought he would get bench spot) given benefit of injecting immediate super rugby experience, mentors for younger team and buy some time for force to recruit or develop players to replace them.

I think things are heading nicely in the right direction for the force. It is good to see we now have 4 oz sides playing quality rugby on what I have seen (rebels sadly have been woeful and club level quality only).

Outsider

Frank Nicholson (4)

Marce

John Thornett (49)
So Force is going to play with this old fashioned jersey?

20220322_164027.jpg

It looks too heavy for me