• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The other model that includes the Japanese would work well if you want a final. Split the teams into essential 3 divisions. Top 2 from Aus/NZ in the Cup, the next two in the Shield final two in the Plate. Invite the top 3 Japanese teams to start. One in each division. That would provide each team with at least 14 games. Could use a similar finals system to Super Rugby Au.

Are there actually any Japanese teams wanting to play in a comp here? I think their priority is playing in Japan from what I can gather.
From looking at their new comp with rules I think the main thing NZ and Aus rugby need to be doing is trying to hold onto Test players. they are only allowed to bring in test quality players, and think they have no salary cap on them.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Are there actually any Japanese teams wanting to play in a comp here? I think their priority is playing in Japan from what I can gather.

I seriously doubt the Japanese sides have any interest in anything other than their corporate pissing contest played out in dustbowls in front of 10 people by foreign imports.

Seems EJ (Eddie Jones) was right when he said slung shit and claimed there was no real interest in growing rugby in Japan.

We should be looking to tap their corporate excess by allowing our players to periodically take a holiday to pad out their bank accounts.

I honestly don't think seasoned test players need to be playing a full season of Super Rugby. Shit some of the all time greats phoned it in bigtime during the Super Rugby season.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I seriously doubt the Japanese sides have any interest in anything other than their corporate pissing contest played out in dustbowls in front of 10 people by foreign imports.

Seems EJ (Eddie Jones) was right when he said slung shit and claimed there was no real interest in growing rugby in Japan.

We should be looking to tap their corporate excess by allowing our players to periodically take a holiday to pad out their bank accounts.

I honestly don't think seasoned test players need to be playing a full season of Super Rugby. Shit some of the all time greats phoned it in bigtime during the Super Rugby season.

Top League is no more. Moving from the corporate model to a new professional league from next season. And they've already expressed interest in cross border competition.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
From looking at their new comp with rules I think the main thing NZ and Aus rugby need to be doing is trying to hold onto Test players. they are only allowed to bring in test quality players, and think they have no salary cap on them.

Short answer is. Yes.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
they change their names and continue on much like the soccer teams did when the J-League started.

Further explanation required. is ownership changing hands? How does the new 'professional' league differ from the corporate one? independent management? Where will funding come from if not corporate?

I am skeptical.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't know but assume Suntory will now be major sponsor and owner of the Tokyo Sungoliath, Yamaha the same with the new Shizuoka Jubilo etc.

I have a feeling that to play for the company teams now you have to be an employee of the company so the players will now become professional players employed by the club.

In reality I don't think much will change.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Are there? So who are they? Not talking about Deans saying he wants to play crusaders etc, but are there genuine teams want to join Super rugby?

Not join Super Rugby but play in a cross border competition. The new Japanese league have in previous statements have expressed their desire to play in such a competition.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Round and round we go...

What is the magic answer to super rugby zen that nzru and RA will sign up to?

Is there many left who care...

This season of TT shown we have not got all the right answers...

Do we just ignore it and plough forward...

Or is nzru and RA in collaborative dialogue with each other or just themselves...to try and fix it (with whatever that may be)

I think all the possible options and permutations have been raised here (twice, three, four....times over)

Funny thing is have to now trust nzru (moreso as let’s face it they have largely led the design of TT) and RA to work together (don’t see much evidence of them doing a lot of this) to get it right for next year...

Don’t know if I have trust that they will get it right but sure as heck have a lot of hope (as much as I would buying a lottery ticket).

Be nice if we surprised next year but let’s face it history of NZRU and RA collaborating to do something positive to support the footprint and growth of game in Asia Pacific ain’t that flash. Does a leopard change its spots...I don’t know some seem they want to but not sure is the case for all parties involved. Round and round we go....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
A footprint in Asia? The Abominable Snowman, maybe.

Really Asia pacific is where going here - Japan, pacific islands, oz and nz plus maybe ‘longer term’ - other Asian country candidates such as HK and China (state decides wants it - it will happen)

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
There appears to be this prevailing 'field of dreams' view of developing sport here. The ARU and NZRFU have been providing technical support to Asia and the Pacific for decades. This has been primarily in developing the game at grassroots level. This is far more important than helicoptering in pro teams.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
There is a prevailing view that is attempted to be more subtle that the Australian rugby market has been badly managed in the Face Of a competitive onslaught by rival domestic codes and a prevailing view that nzru thinks they can ignore such threats as most popular football code (West Indies cricket anyone)...the rest is window dressing...the point really is oz key part of Asia pacific long term footprint which badly managed by RA historically and ignored by NZRU.

The Asia Pacific reference is you don’t get your core market right forget about broader Asia expansion plans (cough...Japan...)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
There is a prevailing view that is attempted to be more subtle that the Australian rugby market has been badly managed in the Face Of a competitive onslaught by rival domestic codes and a prevailing view that nzru thinks they can ignore such threats as most popular football code (West Indies cricket anyone).the rest is window dressing.the point really is oz key part of Asia pacific long term footprint which badly managed by RA historically and ignored by NZRU.

The Asia Pacific reference is you don’t get your core market right forget about broader Asia expansion plans (cough.Japan.)

Tend to go along with TOD, NZR (and I think RA) have been providing technical expertise with coaching etc in Asia for quite sometime. And unless you throw in a team of Aus or NZ players you not going to get a team from there that will compete in anyway in super or alternative comp. As for Pacific I think there has been support for quite sometime again, probably not enough, and hopefully MP (Moana Pasifika) and Drua coming into the comp is step in right direction. Ok RA still have to sign off on it etc, but you would hope there a desire there for it to go ahead. And hope everyone will have the patience to let the teams develop properly , as I believe it will take 3-5 years for them to be properly competitive.
As for Japan, apart from odd coach there ,I haven't read or heard a hell of a lot from JRU that they are all that keen on joining us in club comp. I do agree would be good if they did in some way but ..................

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tend to go along with TOD, NZR (and I think RA) have been providing technical expertise with coaching etc in Asia for quite sometime. And unless you throw in a team of Aus or NZ players you not going to get a team from there that will compete in anyway in super or alternative comp. As for Pacific I think there has been support for quite sometime again, probably not enough, and hopefully MP (Moana Pasifika) and Drua coming into the comp is step in right direction. Ok RA still have to sign off on it etc, but you would hope there a desire there for it to go ahead. And hope everyone will have the patience to let the teams develop properly , as I believe it will take 3-5 years for them to be properly competitive.
As for Japan, apart from odd coach there ,I haven't read or heard a hell of a lot from JRU that they are all that keen on joining us in club comp. I do agree would be good if they did in some way but ......

My comment is about a pro footprint was the demise of sun wolves actually to be very specific (and only thing had in mind when made this comment), which more a sanzaar thing which oz and nz members of. And really my concern more with sorting out strength of oz rugby footprint which to me is key to Successful TT. Wider Asia a minor quick reference to me and not too much thoughts on this given by me as yep want to create tie up with Japan which more likely champions league and agree probably 3 to 5 years away and per RA sorting out TT the priority and rightly so.

I think bedding down MP (Moana Pasifika) and Fiji Drua and sorting out oz rugby pro team problem will be more then enough to occupy nzru and RA wrt to creating a successful TT competition for next 3-4 years without any wider growth plans for Asia Pacific. But as I keep saying I just am not convinced nzru and RA can create the required collaboration and align different agendas / objectives to make it work. Happy to hear evidence otherwise or be proven wrong.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Marino's in the media stating that RA are looking to bring the NRC back in one form or the other. F@#k yes.

Can't access the article, but this is great news! Hopefully the Super teams minus Wallabies organise some games between themselves instead of just going back to club to build combinations and cohesion. The Bay of Plenty team are coming to play the Force, so I'm wondering if more of this could happen this year too.

Status
Not open for further replies.