• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
"New Zealand Rugby is open to an eight-team finals series in a revamped 12-team, single-table Super Rugby.."

Who cares what they're "open to".

Start with our own comp, Fiji included, and only then add the Champions Cup. Otherwise geffarked.

And of course there open to an 8 team final series, chances are the 5 NZ franchises will be in that 8, plus we have to stop calling them conferences, they are seperate comps.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Apparently RA cares, and 8 team finals is seemingly RA idea.
Heh. If the proposal in your article was: (a) truly all RA's idea, and (b) NZ were really "open to it", then the deal would already be done and there'd be no need for the article.

The sticking point ain't going be 8-team finals. It seems a bit meh with 12 teams, but whatevs …

No. The driver for Aus rugby is to retain and grow where there's interest here, which imo means retaining an AU component foremost. NZ comes after.

NZR don't want to come after, they want one full season comp. The problem is, that's not going to work.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Also seems Drua in a Aus comp not a done deal, IF SMH is reporting correctly that RA is hindering recruitment by Drua as a split in their ranks.
Boy if the board still can't agree on comp, there something wrong in camp
Once again , not sure how true it is, but goes along with Hamish saying a week or 2 ago they can't decide. And seems Aus gov't money isn't as much as what NZR is
There has also been a bit of chat about the recent announcement of Australian government support for Fiji Rugby, and whether that makes them a natural fit for an Australian conference, but it’s thought that the Kiwis are tipping in more money, with New Zealand Rugby likely to cover competition costs for both the Fijian Drua and Moana Pasifika.
Seems there only one rugby board in area actually trying to help PI teams?.:p

I will add it's only what is reported by Cully who was getting quoted in here as gospel when he criticised NZR;)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And of course there open to an 8 team final series, chances are the 5 NZ franchises will be in that 8, plus we have to stop calling them conferences, they are seperate comps.

No they are talking of a 12 team comp, no conferences or seperate comps. If they seperate why are they even talking?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep, it's not a done deal. With the covid situation ongoing, 2022 still has plenty of hurdles. But I would suggest Drua's prospects are better than the Moana's.

Could be, but are they going to be in Aus comp with NZR paying their costs? Or is RA going to pay them.
But you have to admit if RA were going for seperate comp, there would be no discussions with NZR, so it looking less likely doesn't it?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Apparently RA cares, and 8 team finals is seemingly RA idea.

Thats even worse, if we are going to do a TT we need to just go in both feet. e.g. 12 teams round robin 4 teams finals, maybe 6 teams with some kinda free ride for finishing first.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Could be, but are they going to be in Aus comp with NZR paying their costs? Or is RA going to pay them.
But you have to admit if RA were going for seperate comp, there would be no discussions with NZR, so it looking less likely doesn't it?

You mean Australia government and World Rugby covering their costs.

there is no evidence to show NZRU are tipping in money at all, besides a journalists comment, which you’ve told us not to believe

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You mean Australia government and World Rugby covering their costs.

there is no evidence to show NZRU are tipping in money at all, besides a journalists comment, which you’ve told us not to believe

Ok,Aus gov't is tipping in how much for Drua? And how much for 7s and other sports? Please tell me.
But you right I only have seen a journalist's write up, and am happy that you now agree with me that you can't believe what is in papers. Well I am glad you now agree with me. And so we won't take ANY paper write ups as true?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Remind me Dan how many seasons did the Drua play in the ITM cup?
Only reason NZRU are interested in now is because of commercial benefits.

Of course the former RA board did well with Drua playing in NRC, as did NZ teams taking Super games to Samoa and Fiji.
But to be honest if you saw the tongue out I was winding you up a bit.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Thats even worse, if we are going to do a TT we need to just go in both feet. e.g. 12 teams round robin 4 teams finals, maybe 6 teams with some kinda free ride for finishing first.

I agree truthfully, I really reckon you do it properly or go seperate ways, though I can understand RA wanting some promise of getting team into finals. But we will see.
Actually the other thing I read in paper (but only read) the agreement for 3 Bled games finishes this year, I really hope that ends, and we go back to just 2 tests a year.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ok,Aus gov't is tipping in how much for Drua? And how much for 7s and other sports? Please tell me.
But you right I only have seen a journalist's write up, and am happy that you now agree with me that you can't believe what is in papers. Well I am glad you now agree with me. And so we won't take ANY paper write ups as true?

A press release actually confirmed Aus Govt funding for the Drua, even Fijian news papers reported it. I haven’t seen any report about NZRU funding besides Paul ‘the NZRU mouthpiece’ Cully claiming it.

Never said I agree with you, just questioning why you’re happy to use journalist comments when it suits your argument, but refute them when they don’t.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If the rumours are true, then I'm just glad that NZRU are finally going to use their considerably larger financial resources to aid rugby in the region, hopefully this means they're open to discuss the broadcast funding distribution with their partners. From memory the funding sustainment of the new teams was one of the concerns of RA, so if that has been solved by the Aus Govt, World Rugby and NZRU funding then good news.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I agree truthfully, I really reckon you do it properly or go seperate ways, though I can understand RA wanting some promise of getting team into finals. But we will see.
Actually the other thing I read in paper (but only read) the agreement for 3 Bled games finishes this year, I really hope that ends, and we go back to just 2 tests a year.
why isn't it a good money spinner which is the point.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
A press release actually confirmed Aus Govt funding for the Drua, even Fijian news papers reported it. I haven’t seen any report about NZRU funding besides Paul ‘the NZRU mouthpiece’ Cully claiming it.

Never said I agree with you, just questioning why you’re happy to use journalist comments when it suits your argument, but refute them when they don’t.

Paul the NZRU mouthpiece? Ridiculous. One of the journos who has always been fair to Aus Rugby, takes NZ to task and acknowledges our importance in the eco-system.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
why isn't it a good money spinner which is the point.

But you are turning the pnnacle into a 6 pack & pizza. Playing 3 tests a year against NZ in the long run just diminishes the occasion, it may be a money spinner but every year you slightly cheapen the event. In the long run you ultimately lessen its value.

The pyramid is upside down when your national team is playing its opponents more than your domestic teams are playing theres.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Paul the NZRU mouthpiece? Ridiculous. One of the journos who has always been fair to Aus Rugby, takes NZ to task and acknowledges our importance in the eco-system.

Previously i would have agreed, but the past 12months he has absolutely taken to speaking rumours and agendas on behalf of what he describes as "well placed sources" in the NZRU.

Reactions: dru
Status
Not open for further replies.