• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Outsode Peter Fitzsimons who else is a regular contributor? Matt Burke does from time to time that I know of but he's mostly on TV these days.

Thinking about it more.. Fairfax and Fox probably put some more advertising push behind the player-written articles to try and grab the attention of consumers on the edges of their target demo, like me. I don't regularly read many Australian publications so that's probably why this stuff feels like a larger proportion of what's out there than it actually is.

Don't get me started on the the TV/commentary stuff. God damn. If it wasn't for Mcardle there would literally be no hope at all.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Although he's not a regular journo, I reckon Nathan Sharpe offers a balanced and objective viewpoint on whatever it is he is commenting on. I'd be happy to see him on the payroll of one of the big media companies.

T

TOCC

Although he's not a regular journo, I reckon Nathan Sharpe offers a balanced and objective viewpoint on whatever it is he is commenting on. I'd be happy to see him on the payroll of one of the big media companies.

I think he could, but from memory Nathan Sharpe is now a member of the QRU board as the players representative, so he now carries vested interest as well.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sorry. I stand corrected. It was the Bulls game with the mini crowd,

Its week 8 isnt it? In the first 7 weeks the Bulls had one home game. One ffs, and that the Moondogs by recollection. Here in Aus we moan when the Waratahs dissapear for three weeks (I think).

Impossible to build home support with that. Expect it will build from here, but it's a tough call from this ridiculous schedule and starting so far behind the 8 ball.

It's almost like someone in SANZAAR wanted a particularly shite schedule in 2017. Wonder why?

L

Leo86

Sorry just pointing out not just the Bulls who got a raw deal, wasnt intending to overtake.

I actually agree with you, trying to drum up home support with a 4 week gap in between games.

My bad my last post didnt explain my point of view, i just got excited by your post and my head screamed Force too

S

sidelineview

Are crowds down because of quality?
Is there research to,prove that?
I ask because I don't go to games even though I live 200m from a stadium and the reason is because I can watch 3 games, league, EPL, etc and be in bed 3 mins after full time.

Supposedly, because Australian teams are losing.
I cant support that statement with statistics; I'm running on what I've read in postings here.

Someone can confirm or refute.

But here's another thing:
What funding do the NZ Super Rugby teams receive and how much money does the NZRU have in the bank?
How are they situated across the ditch in comparison to the Aussies?

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
But here's another thing:
What funding do the NZ Super Rugby teams receive and how much money does the NZRU have in the bank?
How are they situated across the ditch in comparison to the Aussies?

The 2015 NZRU annual report (possibly NSFW in Australia as it contains images of R. McCaw).

As the opening infographic outlines, they provided almost 10 million in provincial grants in 2015. There's nothing on the franchises (that I can see, anyway), but I believe they're largely self sustaining as the NZRU foots all the wages for players and coaches. The franchises themselves basically look after logistics and game-day events.

As for how much money they have in the bank, cash reserves "remained strong at $59.1 million, slightly down on the previous year, which is due more to timing of receipt of one-off grants in 2014" (pg 19).

EDIT: There's some numbers thrown around on page 73 under "28 TRANSACTIONS WITH RELATED PARTIES: PROVINCIAL UNIONS AND SUPER RUGBY ENTITIES" which may mean something to those more interested than I in accounting wordyness.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Interesting piece of information to consider from last night:

Africa 1 (Strormers W6-L0) V Africa 2 (Lions W5-L1) conference leaders played last night (AKA the top 2 teams in SA atm) in front of...

....reports are just over 5000 crowd!:eek:
Wrong game I think. The Bulls / Jags game was empty. Stormers/ Lions looked packed. Double that in one of the main stands.

Reactions: gel

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'ts a train wreck right across Australian Rugby Mudskipper, and the Brumbies have lost just as much money as the Western Force have over the last 5 years, the only difference is one had $11million from the sale of land to keep the creditors at bay.
whats the latest on all the dodginess behind closed doors at the brumbies??

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Does anyone else find it bizarre how embedded former players are in written rugby journalism in Australia?
What you'd rather have more Growden types than people who have actually played?:)

Although I have to agree, some of them are not very good at writing, regardless of how good they were on the park...

S

sidelineview

The 2015 NZRU annual report (possibly NSFW in Australia as it contains images of R. McCaw).

As the opening infographic outlines, they provided almost 10 million in provincial grants in 2015. There's nothing on the franchises (that I can see, anyway), but I believe they're largely self sustaining as the NZRU foots all the wages for players and coaches. The franchises themselves basically look after logistics and game-day events.

As for how much money they have in the bank, cash reserves "remained strong at $59.1 million, slightly down on the previous year, which is due more to timing of receipt of one-off grants in 2014" (pg 19).

EDIT: There's some numbers thrown around on page 73 under "28 TRANSACTIONS WITH RELATED PARTIES: PROVINCIAL UNIONS AND SUPER RUGBY ENTITIES" which may mean something to those more interested than I in accounting wordyness.

Thanks.
It would be interesting to view more recent figures to see how they're conducting business across the ditch.

They seem to have a pretty good handle on how to develop and run rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.