• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ok little confession as watching the sunwolves tonight. I personally always liked the idea oF sunwolves but knew given oz Japan relationships better in our conference and /or as part of our quasi trans Tasman league with Fiji as well. Yet another example of sanzaar stupidity by putting them in Africa conference

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
The regions run it themselves and affiliate directly to the ARU. Do we really multiple layers of bureaucracy to achieve a relatively simple task?

Can't regions simply supply a selector to pick the team? Is a whole level of administration really necessary.

This actually returns power to the regions and is the exact opposite of being "city centric". The regions would have exactly the same status as the Sydney RU (which is just another region).

This is all basically what happens except that NSW Country just disaffiliated with the ARU and affiliated with the NSWRU. As did the SRU.

Like I said it's pretty much voluntary positions. It's a boys club and they do it because they enjoy it.

The NSW Country Championships are on this weekend - that's all the country zones playing against each other playing for a couple of trophies. There's a bit of tradition in all this, it's not just a meaningless 'separate rugby bureaucracy'.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Ok little confession as watching the sunwolves tonight. I personally always liked the idea oF sunwolves but knew given oz Japan relationships better in our conference and /or as part of our quasi trans Tasman league with Fiji as well. Yet another example of sanzaar stupidity by putting them in Africa conference
and I don't think there are any direct flights from Japan to South Africa.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This is all basically what happens except that NSW Country just disaffiliated with the ARU and affiliated with the NSWRU. As did the SRU.

Like I said it's pretty much voluntary positions. It's a boys club and they do it because they enjoy it.

The NSW Country Championships are on this weekend - that's all the country zones playing against each other playing for a couple of trophies. There's a bit of tradition in all this, it's not just a meaningless 'separate rugby bureaucracy'.

People who run clubs in Sydney are volunteers as well. We do it because we enjoy it as well.

So let me get this straight, just so I'm not accused of misrepresenting you, these games can't be played and the trophies can't be won without a separate NSWCRU (which doesn't represent the southern third of the state anway).

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
People who run clubs in Sydney are volunteers as well. We do it because we enjoy it as well.

So let me get this straight, just so I'm not accused of misrepresenting you, these games can't be played and the trophies can't be won without a separate NSWCRU (which doesn't represent the southern third of the state anway).

The analogy isn't the people who run the clubs, the analogy is the SRU. You can put the boot into it all you want, the existence of the NSWCRU has zero bearing on your life. It doesn't affect the finances of the ARU nor the future of Super Rugby. It means a fucking lot to the people who represent it though.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The analogy isn't the people who run the clubs, the analogy is the SRU. You can put the boot into it all you want, the existence of the NSWCRU has zero bearing on your life. It doesn't affect the finances of the ARU nor the future of Super Rugby. It means a fucking lot to the people who represent it though.

I'm not putting the boot into anyone. The people who run the SRU are the same people who run the clubs, no one gets paid for it.

The NSWCRU has lost about a third of its territory to the ACT - nothing to do with anyone in Sydney, one assumes that the clubs/regions there made that decision on their own for what they thought was their best interests. I assume that they could rejoin country at any time should they so choose. The NSW Country Schools Union decided of their own volition not to pick a team anymore - nothing to do with anyone else. (Their absence actually left a hole in the schools championships)

People can still represent their zones/regions and the zones/regions can still play country championships, can still pick combined representative teams - it's up to them. No one has ever said that they can't. You seem to have invented that in the past hour or so.

You still haven't answered the question; are you saying that none of this can occur without a body called the NSWCRU?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
14 000 to an AFL match in Canberra. Thats bigger than the Brumbies and Raiders combined.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/gr...s/news-story/9a0692152755b9330579b86b0d4f300d

Just goes to show how many fans would travel to Canberra from Melbourne and Sydney for a sporting event.
Screenshot_20170429-185237.png

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
14 000 to an AFL match in Canberra. Thats bigger than the Brumbies and Raiders combined.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/gr...s/news-story/9a0692152755b9330579b86b0d4f300d

Just goes to show how many fans would travel to Canberra from Melbourne and Sydney for a sporting event.

Incorrect. Raiders are averaging above 14k a game this season. It's the Brumbies that have slipped down from their 12k to about 8K.

The AFL is partially manufactured as well. The ACT Government pays the GWS $2.3mil annually to play 4 games per year in Canberra (10 year agreement).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's quite impressive by the Raiders really, because since the inception of the Brumbies they've been the #2 team in Canberra and their crowds have been well below for the past 20 years or so - in fact their crowd averages during that time have been around what the Brumbies will get this year and lower..........

And it's not just down to on field success because they made the finals a number of times with some teams playing some good attacking 4 runs and kick........

It's an example that it's possible to retain that popularity, but it's going to require some changes, although unfortunately that also includes reverting the competition format to something that actually makes sense.

Reactions: mst
B

BLR

People in canberra enjoy thier sports AFL included its popular. But your post is not true regarding brumbies raiders numbers.
Best to Keep your bed time fairtales in the west.

Matey potatey, seems that Canberrans enjoy their AFL more than their union. All 20 of ya.

N

NTT

Incorrect. Raiders are averaging above 14k a game this season. It's the Brumbies that have slipped down from their 12k to about 8K.

The AFL is partially manufactured as well. The ACT Government pays the GWS $2.3mil annually to play 4 games per year in Canberra (10 year agreement).

So the Canberra government is buying in sport for their public as the current offerings are not up to scratch?

Reactions: BLR
D

daz

Matey potatey, seems that Canberrans enjoy their AFL more than their union. All 20 of ya.

Mate, I have deleted a few of your posts because they add no value at all. If all you want to do is slag other teams or supporters, I suggest you change your strategy before you end up yelling soundlessly in the void.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
You still haven't answered the question; are you saying that none of this can occur without a body called the NSWCRU?

I'm going to leave this alone after this post because it's not really relevant to this thread.

But to answer your question, there needs to be a collective of people to organise these things, yes, or they won't happen. That collective happens to be called the NSW Country RU, just like it has been for the last 150 years or so. Why that should bother you or anyone else is beyond me.

Aside from the seniors team and comp there is also a similar structure for the colts and now for the women. There is also a representative team for every age group from the 13s up. Aren't you one that is meant to be pro development and participation of rugby? Who do you think is going to organise all this if NSWCRU don't? Your gripe seems to be that they no longer supply a schools team into whatever comp it is you are referring to, I don't know the reasons for that, but maybe they decided to leave that to the several bodies who already select representative schools sides. After all, who needs a separate body to select a team?

For the record, there is also a separate body for both the Queensland Country RU and NSW Suburban RU who these blokes play against. Why don't you have a go at them too? The Brumbies obviously don't need one for their 3 zones that they select their 'representative' team from.

In closing, and to give this some relevance to the thread, the 3 southern zones that defected to the Brumbies did so because they were told they would be feeder regions for the Brumbies. They probably saw that as having more upside than NSW Country. However to my knowledge there hasn't been a single player from these zones that has kitted up for the Brumbies senior team. There have been several NSW Country players for the Brumbies - Sam Carter (Quirindi), Rory Arnold (Murwillimbah), Josh Mann-Rea (Narromine), Joel Wilson (Mudgee) to name a few - but as you can see none of them come from the south.

I'm not having a go at the Brumbies here, on the contrary good on them for the developing them. If not for the existence of the Brumbies they may have been overlooked by the system. We need more, not less, professional options to capture all the players we can, otherwise they will be lost to Australian rugby.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^Gee, you spent a lot of lines "leaving it alone"

Clearly time to invoke rule 10 as we're going nowhere with this.

It's a pity that you feel the need to deliberately misrepresent what I have said and to set up straw man arguments, which have nothing to do with anything that I have posted whatsoever.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
So the Canberra government is buying in sport for their public as the current offerings are not up to scratch?
See people might take you a little more seriously if you weren't acting like such an arsehat. It's not as if the Force had a great crowd last night. We get it. You don't like Canberra, and you're upset that the Force are likely going to get the chop (I don't agree with that btw).

I troop out to every home game for the Brumbies, and our faithful fans (who number way more than 20), are just as passionate and vocal as fans of the Force and the Rebels. You appear to enjoy slinging mud more than presenting facts. Sorry, a news.com.au website doesn't cut it for me. Bring some maturity to the argument. Your posts are getting tiresome.

N

NTT

See people might take you a little more seriously if you weren't acting like such an arsehat. It's not as if the Force had a great crowd last night. We get it. You don't like Canberra, and you're upset that the Force are likely going to get the chop (I don't agree with that btw).

I troop out to every home game for the Brumbies, and our faithful fans (who number way more than 20), are just as passionate and vocal as fans of the Force and the Rebels. You appear to enjoy slinging mud more than presenting facts. Sorry, a news.com.au website doesn't cut it for me. Bring some maturity to the argument. Your posts are getting tiresome.

Sorry i dont meet your obviously lofty standards, equally sorry that your make believe standards do not apply to my posting one iota. Most importantly, im sorry you don't have a sense of humour or the ability to banter. Seeing as 99% of my time on here is presenting facts and correcting the spread of misinformation, i will continue on as i see fit. As ive stated many times, i am not out to get any franchise or target their supporters. I support the Force in its battle against the ARU and no one else in the survival battle. Using hearsay to assume my character is childish but expected around here. Thankyou for the juvenile name calling.

N

NTT

Mate, I have deleted a few of your posts because they add no value at all. If all you want to do is slag other teams or supporters, I suggest you change your strategy before you end up yelling soundlessly in the void.

So we are back to censoring banter because we are upset our team lost? I get this is an Eastern states forum but sheesh, are you guys really that sensitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.