• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
So we are back to censoring banter because we are upset our team lost? I get this is an Eastern states forum but sheesh, are you guys really that sensitive?

Mate, take the strong hint from one of the forum moderators and pull your head in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Sorry i dont meet your obviously lofty standards, equally sorry that your make believe standards do not apply to my posting one iota. Most importantly, im sorry you don't have a sense of humour or the ability to banter. Seeing as 99% of my time on here is presenting facts and correcting the spread of misinformation, i will continue on as i see fit. As ive stated many times, i am not out to get any franchise or target their supporters. I support the Force in its battle against the ARU and no one else in the survival battle. Using hearsay to assume my character is childish but expected around here. Thankyou for the juvenile name calling.
My pleasure.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
So we are back to censoring banter because we are upset our team lost? I get this is an Eastern states forum but sheesh, are you guys really that sensitive?

You don't even understand the eastern state mentality. A short brief for you.

in order of preferred states from each area.

Qld - wa, sa, tas, vic, nsw
Nsw - wa, sa, tas, Vic/qld
Vic - qld, tas, sa/wa, nsw

That's why many of us are curious with this eastern states union stuff. Most of us take pleasure in qld/nsw or vic experiencing sporting hardship and wa teams are generally people's 2nd teams. At a sporting administration level the likelihood of having a positive relationship between wa and either of the 3 states is considerably higher than having a strong relationship between either of the 3 eastern states. But I guess that doesn't fit the narrative.

S

sidelineview

So if Super Rugby was eventually abandoned by the ARU (humour me on this) and the focus fell on the NRC, how much revenue do you think would be lost in broadcasting rights?

In other words could it prove to be a viable move, along with a raft of other changes to the rugby landscape in this country.

Obviously, for the game to grow and be reinvigorated, including and especially at the grassroots level, resources are needed

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Really quite happy with article saw from Papworth as yes some of his stuff previously concerned me but in this article I thought he showed good insights on the problems and how to fix them. Provided some snippets below. Particularly pleased to see the more conciliatory tone towards the NRC and how yes it can be base to create the national (semi pro) club championship with some tweaks (yes lets work with clubs and super rugby teams to create it). I think the model he proposes is spot on and reality that super rugby is flawed model so generating broadcast dollars from that as he highlights and then spending on flawed model (read ARU subsidising our super rugby teams) is spot on. On this sort of article and vision I would support Papworth part of a consortium to drive / lead reforms as shows more balance than some of previous rhetoric seen from Brett. So Mr Papworth we support your vision outlined in this article but need someone to lead the charge to execute it, so please proceed to lead the charge.

http://www.rugbynews.net.au/brett-p...ing-its-a-business-when-it-isnt-run-like-one/

--------------
Selected snippets from article by Brett thought were spot on below:

"Focus on participation. Create and focus on the layers required to create a winning culture. Other codes have success by creating domestic, tribal competition. We could too, by making domestic competition important and meaningful again. Keep your five Super rugby teams, have them play each other twice, and a final. Below that, create a national club championship, in both XVs and Sevens. Let it be the NRC if you must, but make it meaningful, and spend some money promoting it."

"Before you say “but what about the SANZAAR dollars” and the “broadcast agreement”, let me say "how has that been going for the good of the game in this country?" It simply doesn’t matter how much money you have if we continue to spend it on a flawed model. Ask the broadcasters how they feel about rugby, and the response will be terse. They are interested only in sport that people care about, and I am confident we can provide it domestically. We have shown we are not interested in a Super Rugby competition that includes half the world."

T

TOCC

So if Super Rugby was eventually abandoned by the ARU (humour me on this) and the focus fell on the NRC, how much revenue do you think would be lost in broadcasting rights?

In other words could it prove to be a viable move, along with a raft of other changes to the rugby landscape in this country.

Obviously, for the game to grow and be reinvigorated, including and especially at the grassroots level, resources are needed

As much as I love the NRC, you wouldn't use the NRC as the model going forward as the sole broadcast product, the NRC has been formed on the factors already in place, that is the Super Rugby teams which already exist and leveraging existing resources to reduce overheads.

It's difficult to see what a new product may entail, but I'd like to see NSW and QLD revert to representative teams rather then clubs/franchises. And... one thing I would say is that Sydney needs a second professsional team, whether it's based on SS clubs or not is a rabbit hole to go down.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
As much as I love the NRC, you wouldn't use the NRC as the model going forward as the sole broadcast product, the NRC has been formed on the factors already in place, that is the Super Rugby teams which already exist and leveraging existing resources to reduce overheads.

It's difficult to see what a new product may entail, but I'd like to see NSW and QLD revert to representative teams rather then clubs/franchises. And. one thing I would say is that Sydney needs a second professsional team, whether it's based on SS clubs or not is a rabbit hole to go down.
So would I.

Re the NRC model, you could still use the same teams and add a few more, it's just that they wouldn't be aligned with any SS clubs like they are now and would would do their own recruiting. The Wallabies wouldn't be spread equally across the teams like they are now, but each team would have to operate within a salary cap to level the playing field. Much like the NRL clubs do, you'd spread your investment across a balance of top-liners, journeymen and up and comers.

S

sidelineview

It would be interesting to view the results of a market research of a proposed new Australian rugby model to gauge its viability.

Who would become a member of a new team; who would attend games if the competition was worthy and reasonably even and which would include a salary cap; who would watch games on Foxtel?
Other questions could be asked to calculate the general interest and probable interest in rugby in this country.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
^^^^ I would for sure.

Unrelated, it's interesting that the ticker tape on Fox News this morning says 'the Force's future is under a cloud after failing to score a try against the Lions' ( despite holding last year's grand finalists to a couple of points until the final whistle) but makes no mention of the Rebels overnight debacle v the kings.

D

daz

^^^^ I would for sure.

Unrelated, it's interesting that the ticker tape on Fox News this morning says 'the Force's future is under a cloud after failing to score a try against the Lions' ( despite holding last year's grand finalists to a couple of points until the final whistle) but makes no mention of the Rebels overnight debacle v the kings.

If the future of the Rebels or Force was decided on this weekends games, and the sense of playing ability and passion, I would have voted the Rebels out by halftime against the Kings.

Yep, that is how fucking bad my team were last night. Just when they could and should have made a statement, they instead showed a complete lack of character.

I'm starting to think Andrew Cox should try to get the best deal he can and run.

If no-one is talking about the Rebels being booted out of the comp in the media (especially the broadcast partner) after last nights shitfest in Africa, then the decision to chop the Force has already been made.

D

daz

No, I'm censoring posts because a couple of you tinfoil conspiracy theorists are focusing on how the rest of the country faked the moon landings and how picked on WA is. You are adding no value to the discussions. That is pretty much what the ban message is going to say.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

..... Seeing as 99% of my time on here is presenting facts and correcting the spread of misinformation, i will continue on as i see fit. As ive stated many times, i am not out to get any franchise or target their supporters.

Ah, so lets go back to my comprehension point.

Some of your recent "banter":

So the Canberra government is buying in sport for their public as the current offerings are not up to scratch?

Still, its a crowd the Brumbies can only dream of currently. In fact, if the Brumbies pull 8500 and the Rebels pull 7500 then thats 16 000 at each game. A financially sustainable figure .

Can you provide me any clues about where my team losing fits in this?

Just a quick tip. If any of your posts do have any good information they are wasted as not many people are reading them due to your misguided "attempted banter" and now reputation.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
This Super Rugby debacle needs to be resolved if for no other reason than the Rebs can then bone TT. They won't do it while the future hangs in the balance as it's a bad look.

The Force and Rebels really are in the same boat. Once we have a few injuries to our first 15 were screwed. Force didn't look like scoring a try either last night. It's almost pointless worrying about staying the comp if there is going to be no mechanism put in place for talent equalisation.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
@Rugbynutter39 and post #4545.

Thanks for the Papworth article. I could easily have missed it with weekend commitments.

It would be great to get more feedback on that ARU vote. I presume that no-one here knew it was happening. So much for visibility. Words fail me that the voters stuck to ARU script on this.

I think that Papworth is a loose canon but as I have said before we need canons right now.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
@Rugbynutter39 and post #4545.

Thanks for the Papworth article. I could easily have missed it with weekend commitments.

If would be great to get more feedback on that ARU vote. I presume that no-one here knew it was happening. So much for visibility. Words fail me that the voters stuck to ARU script on this.

I think that Papworth is a loose canon but as I have said before we need canons right now.

Pappy has earned the right to be as loose as he wants to.

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
^^^^ I would for sure.

On that showing against the kings I would axe the rebels. Bad enough losing to the kings but to be thrashed like that..woeful. give some credit to the kings in at least showing some fight and not throwing in the towel despite high probability they will be axed. Pity some oz sides could not take a lead from that...cough...rebels...

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
On that showing against the kings I would axe the rebels. Bad enough losing to the kings but to be thrashed like that..woeful. give some credit to the kings in at least showing some fight and not throwing in the towel despite high probability they will be axed. Pity some oz sides could not take a lead from that.cough.rebels.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
The kings are about to be axed too, and if they were in our conference they'd actually be 2nd. Behind the Brumbies who are 3 from 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.