• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Oz NRC teams v NZL Super Rugby teams?

Yikes!

And that's the issue. Pointless trying to put our top domestic teams up against NZ, it isn't quality v quality. Relegation/promotion just sheets that home. I firmly think we nee some form of representation to run with an international club comp.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I suspect any action would be from the broadcasters against SANZAAR who would then anticipate that the ramifications are held by Australia.
That's ok. We can sell the broadcasters the mini-series "Super Wars". There is the Force and a Rebel Alliance. The guy from Modern Family can play Bill.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
This is a tribute song for the ARU

Shows the current position they are in and where they are heading. Also arguably the mental age is mentioned in the tribute song.

Enjoy

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
So if the VRU own the Rebels what does the balance sheet look like?

If there is a debt do the VRU own that as well? Or did that get magicked away?
For the transaction to happen in the way it did, someone covered the debt - either Cox himself, the VRU (who don't have that kind of money) or someone else.

The more interesting question, given the VRUs apparent lack of funds, is what does next year's balance sheet look like, and then the year after.......

Hopefully there are some very discreet donors out there

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jon

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
For the transaction to happen in the way it did, someone covered the debt - either Cox himself, the VRU (who don't have that kind of money) or someone else.

The more interesting question, given the VRUs apparent lack of funds, is what does next year's balance sheet look like, and then the year after...

I believe the Rebels ran at a $1million-ish dollar loss this year with no major sponsor and very poor results. Get a major sponsor, and they're cost neutral. Do better and they're better than cost neutral.

Note: This is factoring in the money the ARU gives all Super Rugby teams.

Upthenuts

Dave Cowper (27)
So you're proposing play all games at one venue? Can't fight time, late/early games are part of the deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nah i. saying if the saffas left the comp ocmpletely, a comp without them and the argies would be better, no mid night finals no 3 am games no 5am games,

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)

The more interesting question, given the VRUs apparent lack of funds, is what does next year's balance sheet look like, and then the year after...

strewth, lou75 posted the following on the Rebels 2018 thread a few days ago. it was in response to what else was said by Clyne at a recent rugby lunch in Melbourne

"Neil Hay asked an interesting question: If an investor could be found that would shore up the Rebels financial position and give the ARU promises of further investment in Victorian Rugby to the tune of $14 million would the ARU accept this or not?
To which Clyne replied: "The challenge is we make a commitment to the broadcasters when we sign up to a broadcast and if the team is not performing --- we need that investment to be rock solid --- it will go to performance."
I think that Neil, who is a VRU Director, was hinting at the Victorian govenrment - Rebels partnership which has been rumoured to have been on the table since our last game, and to which the ARU has not as yet signed - and without jumping up and grabbing him by the throat, Neil has signalled the VRU's intention to go public if the ARU does not agree to this and pretty quickly too."
perhaps they have a $14 mil man or men.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I believe the Rebels ran at a $1million-ish dollar loss this year with no major sponsor and very poor results. Get a major sponsor, and they're cost neutral. Do better and they're better than cost neutral.

Note: This is factoring in the money the ARU gives all Super Rugby teams.
How much of his own money did Cox put in this year?

The Rebels funding is front loaded from the ARU, so next year they will be getting less than this year and even less for the following years - just $100k v $1.7m in additional funds for the other teams in 2020

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
strewth, lou75 posted the following on the Rebels 2018 thread a few days ago. it was in response to what else was said by Clyne at a recent rugby lunch in Melbourne

"Neil Hay asked an interesting question: If an investor could be found that would shore up the Rebels financial position and give the ARU promises of further investment in Victorian Rugby to the tune of $14 million would the ARU accept this or not?
To which Clyne replied: "The challenge is we make a commitment to the broadcasters when we sign up to a broadcast and if the team is not performing --- we need that investment to be rock solid --- it will go to performance."
I think that Neil, who is a VRU Director, was hinting at the Victorian govenrment - Rebels partnership which has been rumoured to have been on the table since our last game, and to which the ARU has not as yet signed - and without jumping up and grabbing him by the throat, Neil has signalled the VRU's intention to go public if the ARU does not agree to this and pretty quickly too."
perhaps they have a $14 mil man or men.
Hopefully they do. That would be fantastic. (Elsom?)

The VRU as it stand right now can't afford a single year with $1m+ losses. They simply can't pay it.

And the ARU funding they do get is front loaded and dropoing

That's why I said I hope they have some wealthy discreet donors waiting in the wings.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
How much of his own money did Cox put in this year?

The Rebels funding is front loaded from the ARU, so next year they will be getting less than this year and even less for the following years - just $100k v $1.7m in additional funds for the other teams in 2020

My sources tell me that the 'Rebels funding is front loaded' is kaput since this was an arrangement with Cox so there is no arrangement for the Rebels to keep on receiving this 'secret' payment.
The Rebels will get what the other franchises get (with the usual Wallaby top ups and so on).
Further, my sources tell me that Cox shifted about a million out of the franchise into his management companies for each of the two years.
They will need actual paying members (not freebies like Cox handed out) and also some sponsors to come to the party - some success on the field with a new coach would be a dream although, I have to say that Baden Stephenson's comment re the signings would "deliver the club some much-deserved success" made me puke. Baden mate, on what grounds is your success much-deserved? Please. I want the team to succeed, but not for some BS rhetoric statement by BS.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hopefully they do. That would be fantastic. (Elsom?)

The VRU as it stand right now can't afford a single year with $1m+ losses. They simply can't pay it.

And the ARU funding they do get is front loaded and dropoing

That's why I said I hope they have some wealthy discreet donors waiting in the wings.

I'd been surprised if the VRU is going to be the only state RU which will be unable to afford continued involvement in super rugby. I'd be looking further north to an RU which has plenty of experience in going broke and is doing its best to get there again.

ink-30-r.jpg

T

TOCC

May I ask why it is you believe the debt was covered?

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Btw my diary tells me that pulver was scheduled to meet with sanzaar today - any news re that?

Status
Not open for further replies.