• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
More likely is 6 nz teams, 5 oz sides (still not sure we could be competitive even with nz having extra side), sunwolves, jaguares, Fiji.

14 team comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im sorry, why would we keep the Jaguares. They can goto the Curry cup again or PRO rugby. NZ and Aus time zones are enough, no need for the trip to South America.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I'd be interested to see what value the Argentina broadcasters contribute to the SANZAAR funds

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think that the trans-continental, multi-time zone concept is a big part of the problem.

Rugby in Australia needs to pare things right back to basics. I'd be running either a national competition a la NRC, with a champions league type concept attached.

Reactions: dru

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think that the trans-continental, multi-time zone concept is a big part of the problem.

Rugby in Australia needs to pare things right back to basics. I'd be running either a national competition a la NRC, with a champions league type concept attached.

I've previously suggested altering the season to move the NRC into the current Super Rugby window leading to it featuring all the best available talent. Run it over two rounds plus finals.

From there. We shift Super Rugby into what would have been the TRC/NRC window but run it in pools for 8-10 weeks plus finals. This would lead into the TRC and expanded Test season.

The idea is to provide domestic, trans-national provincial and international Rugby in a consistent manner where in order to be eligible for Super Rugby you have to play NRC. And likewise to be eligible for Test you have to play Super Rugby.

This would tick the domestic competition side, the provincial competition side and the international competition side. In terms of content for fans and broadcasters it's a fairly consistent bloc with more to offer and in regards to players it's a very solid number of games.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
WCR we'd need to think about how club rugby fits. To give rugby continuity, I'd run it after the domestic comp, so players either go to international league or to the clubs.

But this won't suit the clubs as they stand. They'd want to be meshed into the domestic thing, and possibly need to look at an overlap with Subbies.

The tier 2-3 looks OK but one thing we must learn is to work from our traditional strengths, especially in Sydney.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Im sorry, why would we keep the Jaguares. They can goto the Curry cup again or PRO rugby. NZ and Aus time zones are enough, no need for the trip to South America.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Tend to agree

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tend to agree

My problem is really with a trans Tasman competition our 5 oz sides against 5 or 6 nz sides could not compete and nz would not be interested in that scenario so if we go the trans Tasman route unless changes elsewhere (more open borders for flow of players between nz and oz whilst still eligible for national honours and/ or serious investment in oz by rich billionaires re: pipe dreams) I can't see trans Tasman comp without cutting oz teams. Only other alternative is doing our own comp.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My problem is really with a trans Tasman competition our 5 oz sides against 5 or 6 nz sides could not compete and nz would not be interested in that scenario so if we go the trans Tasman route unless changes elsewhere (more open borders for flow of players between nz and oz whilst still eligible for national honours and/ or serious investment in oz by rich billionaires re: pipe dreams) I can't see trans Tasman comp without cutting oz teams. Only other alternative is doing our own comp.

The issue both us and NZ have is that we need each other (and probably some other regional neighbours) to be able to have the sort of product that can generate a reasonable TV deal overall.

NZ can't maintain their pool of professional players without an international league to be part of.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The issue both us and NZ have is that we need each other (and probably some other regional neighbours) to be able to have the sort of product that can generate a reasonable TV deal overall.

NZ can't maintain their pool of professional players without an international league to be part of.
And the bigger issue is nz would be in denial of that.

Reactions: dru

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Big call, BH, about Enzed finances. I thought that just their AIG sponsorship alone would keep them all in clover?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Going to be interesting couple of years as can't be much clearer Super Rugby is dead.

What is the alternative from 2020? Can we wait that long for change? Or more to the point will change be forced on us sooner if ARU can't cut a team (as multiple implications here - not just from breach of agreement with SANZAAR but ARU just can't afford 5 teams).

Hopefully out of this mess something can be built that has better foundations for getting back the game of rugby in Oz to somewhere remotely where it should have been given the opportunities floundered and not leveraged from early 2000 with the growth of the world game.

Personally feel though more short term pain to come.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
You have to accept that a lot of our finances are in the realm of tv and other media rights. What will commercial interests pay for? That is the big question.

I still believe that any viable future competition has to be built upon entities that have some tradition. That means traditional rugby clubs in Oz, possibly against NZ provinces. The Oz clubs would have to be augmented, of course, but unless the man and woman in the street can be convinced to care about results, any competition will falter. New Zealanders care about their province. We have to find some way of emulating that, IMHO.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Why doesn't the most enjoyable competition structure for the fans lead to the most revenue? Why does the least enjoyable competition structure lead to the most revenue? o_O

Why not just give the fans what they want and build from there. Life is too short to go another decade or two serving up something that is OK, but not great.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wamberal you make a valid and critical point as whatever is proposed needs backing and support of broadcasters. One would wonder what avenue they would be pushing knowing Super Rugby is pretty much dead as a product and need to find a new product.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Would be timely as part of designing a new competition that they actually asked the fans what they want (as part of a national survey).

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
BH, I think all the views expressed by fans on this site could be accommodated in three or four different structures operating at the one time.;)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If successful sports leagues in Australia (and for that matter, the rest of the world) are anything to go by start with an easy to understand and fair competition structure, all matches in our time zone and strong local rivalries then go from there.

Everyone would love a popular 10-12 team national competition that has good teams involving most of our best players and is supported by decent crowds.

How far away is that dream from our present reality though?

Maybe the question should be what do the fans want that is remotely feasible within a viable time frame?

Status
Not open for further replies.