• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He said during the presser he had to step aside during this process as he is employed by the ARU.

And that's just another reason he should not be in the running for the job. A complete break from the ARU nitwits is needed at the top to ensure rugby can and will start to move in other directions. ATM it is in a race with itself to the bottom.

Incidentally, I think he has had a very similar career progression to one Rob Clarke. Brumbies-Force-ARU.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And that's just another reason he should not be in the running for the job. A complete break from the ARU nitwits is needed at the top to ensure rugby can and will start to move in other directions. ATM it is in a race with itself to the bottom.

Incidentally, I think he has had a very similar career progression to one Rob Clarke. Brumbies-Force-ARU.
He's on the ARU payroll because they had to take on the entirety of the Western Force's payroll last year.

He isn't really an employee of the ARU in the sense that his role relates to the ARU.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Fully understand Nutter, and like the passion.

I watched the NZ sides this year in SUper more than I did the Australian sides because they played some good rugby. No Australian side played anything more than a 50 minute game this year,

Sorry to disagree with your very good post. Bit I think the Force actually put in 80 great minutes in their last game.

T

TOCC

I sympathise with Sindberry, but he isn't the right person for the ARU CEO job, it was his decision in 2015 to sell the ownership of the Force to the ARU for $870k which enabled this to happen. You may argue he didn't have many options, but he will rue that decision as a very very costly mistake, and unfortunately for me that precludes him from being the next ARU CEO..

Geoffrey Stooke on the other hand, is my preferrred option. Yes he is on the current board and has participated in many of their decisions, but he also stood opposed to their decision to cut a team and backed himself to oppose the general consensus. As far as a soft landings could go for replacement chairman, Stooke could provide that option, he is up to date with the current issues and has seen through the rest of the boards bullshit.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Unbelievable really. Is there any other sporting body that would reject the offer of one of the richest people in the country to ensure the long term financial viability of the sport in a state? Forrest wasn't even seeking any personal control.

This has the hallmarks of a decision made by people incapable of changing their minds. The ARU simply must die and be reborn.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
"ARU chairman Cameron Clyne said Pulver had been unfairly targeted by critics
... he should be very proud of that and the service he's given the game."
No. Volunteers give service to the game. Players who take the hits give service to the game.
A bloke on $740,000 pa is being paid well to achieve positive outcomes for the servants of the game. His job is not service to the game.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
We need an innovative/progressive person who is not ingrained in the rugby establishment in any way. No nsw, no vic, no qld, no wa, no act, no shute shield connections. It needs to be someone who owes nobody anything, or has any conscious or unconscious bias to any affiliation. If that's an Irishman, an Englishman, an afl guy, etc it doesn't matter. We are in this situation today because of the establishment.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Also, as much as Pulver deserves all the criticism he's getting, it does seem obvious that Clyne has been the true driving force behind this. Pulver hasn't been leading the ARU for months. The ARU with Clyne at the helm has no chance of restoring any goodwill. He must go.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
No it's both Clyne and pulver. Pulver's done the right thing and fallen on his sword. I suspect Clyne will do the same once a new CEO is appointed. Then after that they can have Board renewal.

B

BLR

Also, as much as Pulver deserves all the criticism he's getting, it does seem obvious that Clyne has been the true driving force behind this. Pulver hasn't been leading the ARU for months. The ARU with Clyne at the helm has no chance of restoring any goodwill. He must go.

You can see that by his wide grin while saying the Force are the ones to be cut. Happy as Larry that bloke.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Clynes comments on:
http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/08/11/17/40/aru-chief-bill-pulver-to-step-down
are sickening in the extreme:
In part, he says: "ARU chairman Cameron Clyne said Pulver had been unfairly targeted by critics of the decision to cut a side and the protracted process, with the body announcing April it would make a call on whether the Force or Melbourne Rebels would be cut "within 48 to 72 hours".
"It's fashionable to blame Bill for everything that goes wrong in Australian Rugby," said Clyne.
"Bill has copped an incredible amount of unfair personal criticism . but has never shirked from that.
"He has always represented the game extremely well and he should be very proud of that and the service he's given the game."
Clyne said Pulver had been hamstrung by the multiple layers of governance in the game and that it was sad that rugby "turns on its own" more than any other sport.
The chairman said Pulver had made significant advancements during his time in the role.
"I think the advancements in the game under Bill's watch have been extraordinary."
In response:
Pulver was the architect of the plan to cut a side that dragged on from the start of April to the middle of August.
It is not fashionable to blame Bill for everything that goes wrong in Australian Rugby, it is what it is - he orchestrated the sale of Melbourne Rebels to Cox and paid him an extra $6 million to (mis)manage the franchise and now the WF have to be axed because the ARU can't afford to fund five sides.
He has constantly shirked from the personal criticism that's why he earned the nick name Marcel Marceau and Clyne has been on the front foot for the last month.
He has not presented the game very well - these are empty words which my rhetoric teacher once said should be backed up with examples if I were to convince any reasonable person of their worth. On that note, could the Chairman please provide examples of the extraordinary advancements in the game under Bill's watch?Because from where I sit, the game has gone backwards - some observers have commented that the rest of the world have tried to destroy Australian Rugby for the past one hundred years, and Bill has destroyed it in just two years.
Anywho, whose for another glass of grange?
FFS Billy P is the victim in all this?

Our chairman is so out of touch with reality, it's really a concern.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't like hitting the like button.

There should be an "Agree" button.

I don't like anything about this conversation.

It's so fucked for the Force and Australian Rugby.

Here's hoping the appeal goes the Forces way.

South Sydney found a way back into the NRL with the help of a rich benefactor. And went on to win a premiership. I am hopeful that Twiggy and the Force can do the same.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Really?

A poster is concerned about what roughly 45 players do with their lives now.
You respond with, hey one got a job.

Work the rest out yourself, but it's possibly not the best taste for an AB supporter to be posting like this right now.

Work this out. A Force player signed with another franchise prior to this decision from the ARU coming, so the world didn't stop for that player. I'd suggest it hasn't stopped for a number of others.

So there are going to be some tough decisions to make for players and franchises. The quality will rise to the top is the way I see it.

I'll keep posting on here as I have been since day 1 of this forum starting.....

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
I do not think the ARU has any idea about the level of support for rugby that the WA community has garnered over the past few years.
regardless of any legal challenge to this decision,the ARU has just destroyed the years of effort so many have put into the growth of rugby over here
FU ARU-a big pox on your house

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just listened to Press Conference....so Perth Spirit in the NRC will remain....that is at least one positive....as hopefully the NRC can become a long form semi pro domestic competition......as to be honest much more interested watching this sort of competition than Super Rugby.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I don't like hitting the like button.

There should be an "Agree" button.

I don't like anything about this conversation.

It's so fucked for the Force and Australian Rugby.

Here's hoping the appeal goes the Forces way.

South Sydney found a way back into the NRL with the help of a rich benefactor. And went on to win a premiership. I am hopeful that Twiggy and the Force can do the same.

Well, with the quality of legal advice vis-a-vis contracts and agreements that they've exhibited, you certainly wouldn't be backing the ARU to win any court case.

Status
Not open for further replies.