• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
That's the problem in my opinion.

A plan needs to be in place, but it sure as hell isn't coming from the ARU.

Change the board, how I am unsure, IMO as I have many times posted I believe we need 4 clear years to develop a plan B or whatever name you want to call it.

Rugby is kinda at a crossroads pertaining popular support, and our demographic is ageing.

To remain at four teams, hidden away on subscription TV, in a model that best serves the profit of a US media company is going to fail there is nothing I am more sure of.

The four team argument IMO came from the broadcasters as rating in SA & Europe were falling.

Having said all this my thoughts changed roughly twelve months ago on rugby's ability to sell a local domestic competition to the FTA networks.

Watching soccer and then test cricket negotiations it became obvious replacing super rugby revenue was far more difficult today than say 5 years ago.

Rugby needs to engage its base better and grow the game, which as most agree is not possible with four teams on subscription TV with many games at non friendly hours.

However to fix is much nay very much harder today than it was 5 and even more say 10 years ago. We need to spend a lot of time on planning and revenue models.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Maybe us force fans can just call the rebels the force now. Won't most our players go there ? There wouldn't be many rebels players left. Maybe 5

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
The break up of the Force playing group as well as "decreasing" ARU costs, will strengthen the rosters of NSW and Qld which is why they were in favour of it. Some force players will go to the Rebels and Brumbies yes but self interest from the old firm should not be discounted as to the reason for culling a side

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I am not a Lawyer, but my take on the legal argument was it all swings on whether or not the broadcast agreement is a new one or a revised old one.

Am I right in saying that agreement is between SANZAAR and FOX plus whatever other broadcasters?

If so, were these parties called as witnesses to the Arbitration?

Will they be called to the appeal?

B

BLR

If twiggy came to me and said he would pay my mortgage but I only had a week left to pay it is would tell him sorry mate you're too late

I don't know if that works, I would say it would be more, you have one week left on the 5th bedroom but once paid off you had to board it up and still had to pay the mortgage on the other 4 bedrooms. ;) And that 5th bedroom was a bloody nice bedroom being the 3rd biggest in the house! This is fun.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hi ACTC, a quick Q, due to this issue being of great public interest with even Premiers speaking out, make it more likely that the court will allow an appeal to be heard simply for transparency due to the open court?
Assuming of course the Force legal team can raise some doubt re the original decision.

It's hard to answer that question without seeing the nature of the claims being made by the applicant/appellant (some reports say it's an appeal but I'm not certain it is). The Force will need to establish in this first instance a prima facie case that there was a breach of law or tort.

There is a legal public interest test and then there's the interest of the public. These are quite different but sometimes get conflated because of profile and strong interests from a section of the community.

I wouldn't be putting too much weight on what politicians say as that is more PR and political opportunism than substance. Now if the Premier or a Minister of the State was to intervene in the matter because they believe there is a genuine impact on the State and it's affairs, then that would be a major a significant move. Governments (State and Federal) are supposed to be model litigants so it has to be (generally speaking) beyond the politics. I have seen on the very rare occasion when it seemed to make political sense to get involved in a case but only for the Government barristers to get slammed in the court for not offering much of substance.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
The break up of the Force playing group as well as "decreasing" ARU costs, will strengthen the rosters of NSW and Qld which is why they were in favour of it. Some force players will go to the Rebels and Brumbies yes but self interest from the old firm should not be discounted as to the reason for culling a side
If majority don't go to the rebels the rebels will suck again. Then NSW and Qld would slowly improve because they won't lose the odd player to the west

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't know if that works, I would say it would be more, you have one week left on the 5th bedroom but once paid off you had to board it up and still had to pay the mortgage on the other 4 bedrooms. ;) And that 5th bedroom was a bloody nice bedroom being the 3rd biggest in the house! This is fun.

The problem being: you're an idiot, and due to the way you set up the contracts, you legally don't actually own any of those 4 other bedrooms and have no way to make the people who do own them give them to you!

Reactions: TSR

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Hahahaha. That's Aru logic right there

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
The problem being: you're an idiot, and due to the way you set up the contracts, you legally don't actually own any of those 4 other bedrooms and have no way to make the people who do own them give them to you!
More like the way you were bullied and lied to into signing the contract.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
If the broadcaster was involved, you would think they would want games to continue in Perth.

It seemed to work well, that a game in NZ would finish and then an East coast game at then a Force game at 9:30 eastern time.

You keep an audience watching.

I'd say a few publicans would be unhappy, the Rugby crowd won't be staying late any more.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
We
If majority don't go to the rebels the rebels will suck again. Then NSW and Qld would slowly improve because they won't lose the odd player to the west

well that's highly likely anyway. 2017 was certainly a very bad year for the Rebels just 2016 was for the Force. We will all have to see what happens in 2018. Personally I would be surprised if more than 5 or 6 players go to the Rebels and possibly fewer.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
We
well that's highly likely anyway. 2017 was certainly a very bad year for the Rebels just 2016 was for the Force. We will all have to see what happens in 2018. Personally I would be surprised if more than 5 or 6 players go to the Rebels and possibly fewer.
You think the big bullies up north will get all the talented force players then ?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
That's what they all say but it then you get smashed into the ground and die..

Do they? AFAIK, most of the stupid, avoid liability advice you see is to ignore them.

At least if you stand up, something will happen to break the cycle, one way or the other.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
It's hard to answer that question without seeing the nature of the claims being made by the applicant/appellant (some reports say it's an appeal but I'm not certain it is). The Force will need to establish in this first instance that they have to establish a prima facie case that there was a breach of law or tort.

There is a legal public interest test and then there's the interest of the public. These are quite different but sometimes get conflated because of profile and strong interests from a section of the community.

I wouldn't be putting too much weight on what politicians say as that is more PR and political opportunism than substance. Now if the Premier or a Minister of the State was to intervene in the matter because they believe there is a genuine impact on the State and it's affairs, then that would be a major a significant move. Governments (State and Federal) are supposed to be model litigants so it has to be (generally speaking) beyond the politics. I have seen on the very rare occasion when it seemed to make political sense to get involved in a case but only for the Government barristers to get slammed in the court for not offering much of substance.

As you were saying previously it is difficult to get an appeal heard after arbitration. I was thinking interest of the public, if the argument is roughly 50/50, could tip the decision to allow an appeal.
Thanks for the opinion.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
You think the big bullies up north will get all the talented force players then ?

More likely than not, certainly have a shot at the ones returning home. The Rebels could get Coleman (tassie) and the local WA boys which would be great if that happened.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
More likely than not, certainly have a shot at the ones returning home. The Rebels could get Coleman (tassie) and the local WA boys which would be great if that happened.
Even if you moved the current Perth roster to Melbourne they would probably easly win the Aus conference because there travel will be halved.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
To the fans saying we need to stick with the ARU, but they need to improve.

How do you see an improving ARU playing out? They are protected through the self preserving NSW-Qld-ARU self interest. To me they are driving pro-rugby down the pan. I see no evidence of interest or ability in the grass roots. A cut to 3 pro teams seems inevitable, as is a growing subservience to NZ, SA, SANZAR, whether or not this suits Australia.

I feel it is entirely appropriate to protest. My bailing on the ARU is not me bailing on pro rugby, it is a response to the ARU failing non-pro rugby and showing no capability other than the destructive in pro-rugby.

It seems to me ridiculous to blame the fans who have had enough. ARU is culpable imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.