• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
If ore prices are up, I would keep that a closely guarded secret. You won't win over the bryophytes at the ARU with such concepts as value add.

As for the Ord and the extensive groundwater reserves, my suggestion is you water the shit out of your golf coarse's if you want to attract the attention of the good folk at the ARU.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I can think of two ways that make next season perplexing to say the least.

1] Force win their appeal and either the ARU except or the ARU appeal to say the High Court.

2] WF lose their appeal and appeal to the high court.

The time it would take for the right to appeal to the High court and then a hearing date hhhmmmm 18 months to 2 years.

In the meantime could the WF take out an injunction to remain as an Australian team?

Would then the continual existence of WF mean that SANZAAR need to include them in the draw?

The ARU may be forced to still apportion Super Rugby revenue to them and maintain the team, but SANZAAR may not necessarily be obliged to schedule them any games.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

1] Force win their appeal and either the ARU except or the ARU appeal to say the High Court.

The time it would take for the right to appeal to the High court and then a hearing date hhhmmmm 18 months to 2 years.

First it has to go through the NSW Court of Appeal

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

In the meantime could the WF take out an injunction to remain as an Australian team?

Would then the continual existence of WF mean that SANZAAR need to include them in the draw?

The ARU may be forced to still apportion Super Rugby revenue to them and maintain the team, but SANZAAR may not necessarily be obliged to schedule them any games.

3] Western Australia secede and create their won governing body.

Court of Appeal first then another appeal to the HC but i'd eat my foot if they'd hear it.

Plus i doubt it would take 2 years. Really depends on their caseload and stuff. Although, majority of HC stuff is immigration and with supreme overlord Dutton on the rampage they could well be snowed under.

T

TOCC

First it has to go through the NSW Court of Appeal

I wonder what line in the sand in terms of dates that the ARU and SANZAAR come up with by which point they need to commit to retaining the Force. Can they risk this dragging on into 2018, by which point stadium bookings and logistics need to be locked away.

If it's still getting appealed in November, the ARU and SANZAAR may just need to swallow their pride. Would be a positive result, but dissapointing so with the Force having their hands tied for recruitment and retention for much of 2017.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I wonder what line in the sand in terms of dates that the ARU and SANZAAR come up with by which point they need to commit to retaining the Force. Can they risk this dragging on into 2018, by which point stadium bookings and logistics need to be locked away.

If it's still getting appealed in November, the ARU and SANZAAR may just need to swallow their pride. Would be a positive result, but dissapointing so with the Force having their hands tied for recruitment and retention for much of 2017.

I assume you mean if they lose?

I would have thought they'd be plowing on with preparations as if Force were out already.

T

TOCC

I assume you mean if they lose?

I would have thought they'd be plowing on with preparations as if Force were out already.

Not even if they lose, the decision is under appeal and the ARU aren't doing anything until that's heard.. could take months to get a decision

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It frequently does, that's why it's lasted so long.

It can be killed. In theory.

Dragonglass_Spear.jpg

HBO__Photo_11_.0.jpg

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

A GAGR Thread, Barely alive.

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the technology.

We have the capability to build the world's most toxic thread.

Where to for Super Rugby, will be that thread.

Du nu nu nuuuuuuu nu nununununuuuuuu.

Bum bum bum bum duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Etc.

Shit your old with that reference.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Shit your old with that reference.

Swing and a miss.

Like it or lump it, the media consumed in my teens is littered with thousands of references to other TV shows from between 1970 and 1995 (Nostalgic writers woo)

As a result I am familiar with many terribad shows (and particularly the intros) such as The Incredible Hulk, Knight Rider, Quantum Leap, Baywatch, and the aforementioned 6 Million Dollar Man, having actually watched none to very little of them.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

That's how Souths stayed in the NRL. Not many people remember that in the end they lost in the final court hearing, but well before that the NRL had to publish draws, book grounds etc so Souths were readmitted.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

A GAGR Thread, Barely alive.

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the technology.

We have the capability to build the world's most toxic thread.

Where to for Super Rugby, will be that thread.

Du nu nu nuuuuuuu nu nununununuuuuuu.

Bum bum bum bum duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Etc.

I don't know, heading for 10,000 posts and 500 pages it seems to be going ok.

If it annoys you so much, maybe you could just make the decision not to read it. :)

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i'm normally not one for pot boilers or fantasy or conspiracy or detective stories, but this one has me hooked. cant wait to see what happens in the end, and not knowing how many episodes to go, just adds to the tension.

(caution plot spoiler ahead: personally i think the bad guys are gunna win)

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
That's how Souths stayed in the NRL. Not many people remember that in the end they lost in the final court hearing, but well before that the NRL had to publish draws, book grounds etc so Souths were readmitted.
2 years out of the comp while it went through the courts though :eek:

80,000 people marching through the streets also helped!

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't know, heading for 10,000 posts and 500 pages it seems to be going ok.

If it annoys you so much, maybe you could just make the decision not to read it. :)

Also the general consensus has moved, dare I say, in some kinda chart type list, my thoughts in 1999 were considered for being locked up in the mad house and deranged. By 2005 even more so where suggesting we were on the wrong path was near the point of stay away from that crazy fellow, by 2012 there were cracks in the ranks, but still arguably 98.5 % thinking its all OK. By 2014 the cracks started to increase and hey maybe the guy has something of a point. By 2016 the cracks become larger and more people said maybe we should consider. By the start of 2017 the crack had widened.

When this thread started my guess is the general consensus was for the status que. However over the life of this thread it has reversed. My reading of the tea Leafs is a reasonably percentage of rugby folk want change. Many now believe Super Rugby days are numbered. That Super Rugby days are numbered in a reasonable percentage of rugby's population is very new.

Many and I agree totally with them actually say how do we replace Super Rugby revenue and additionally maintain our media presence.

However that the mood towards Super Rugby has changed over the life of this thread has changed is undeniable and some are challenged by that.

An interesting aside is I am a nut at times for keeping random figures and trying in my mind to apply meaning to them. This thread has not only had IMO a remarkable change in how it sees Super Rugby, its viewers are growing. At around 4K posts the views were about 22 per post. At 7k around 28 per post. This morning around 9 .5 K it was 35 views per post. Meaning the average view per post now I guess is somewhere in the mid 50's from around 22 at the start.

The one thing that does concern me is the ARU should be and telling us of a plan B. To develop plan B needs time and lots of conversations with lots of stakeholders and proper plans in place. Its difficult in this environment to see co-operation and everyone working together for the common good.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Maybe there is no Plan B. Have you considered that awful possibility?

In other words, the ARU made a calculated, but somewhat desperate gamble, that an expanded Soup would generate more interest and dollars.

These things we know, or most of us do:

1. A local domestic competition will not bring in any net revenue. Just getting something onto FTA nationally would be a significant achievement in itself.

2. A Trans-Tasman comp is unlikely to eventuate. The New Zealanders would prefer to stick with their own provincial competition. Why would they dilute it with our teams?

3. Trying to think of a third point. Maybe just to say that the only tiny possibility of any breakthrough would be for a billionaire to decide that an Australian domestic rugby competition is worth promoting, and being willing to put a few 10s of millions into a vehicle that FTA (or Foxtel, or maybe even some sort of streaming service) might find attractive enough to pay big money for.

So I have to say that it really doesn't matter whether or not you foresaw all this happening. It has happened.

Plan A did not work, and, as I said, there is no obvious Plan B.

Status
Not open for further replies.