• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
If SANDZZAR don't invite WF to their new competition, I can't see how WF can stop the new competition as WF has never had a contract with SANDZZAR.

This issue is costs to WF from the ARU as I see it. ,

I don't know how these things work but, if because of the injunction the ARU can't cut the WF then the ARU has to include the WF, no choice, therefore sanzaar must take 5 or none.
It can't sue the ARU, so what does sanzaar do?
They can't do nothing, they either have a 16 team comp or sack someone else.

B

BLR

half, you're the only one saying the broadcasters were pushing this as an option initially. Why would they, they were mid broadcast agreement, just wait until it runs then either don't offer another or reduce the price paid for the inferior product, easy.

Multiple media reports have the NZRU pushing it because of declining performances and Foxtel originally agreeing as long as the teams out were the Kings, Jaguares & Sunwolves. This was followed by ARU telling them pressure would be applied and the Force would be the ones taken out.

There is no evidence that the broadcasters were pushing it. This is ARU through and through.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
btw, if money is no object and it has become personal, I would be very surprised if TF does not have an alternate case prepared and ready to be walked through, just depending on the outcome of this appeal.
As John Welborn said this will never end.
Everything will work out fine with sanzaar from an Aus perspective, just need to get rid of Clyne.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
half, you're the only one saying the broadcasters were pushing this as an option initially. Why would they, they were mid broadcast agreement, just wait until it runs then either don't offer another or reduce the price paid for the inferior product, easy.

Multiple media reports have the NZRU pushing it because of declining performances and Foxtel originally agreeing as long as the teams out were the Kings, Jaguares & Sunwolves. This was followed by ARU telling them pressure would be applied and the Force would be the ones taken out.

There is no evidence that the broadcasters were pushing it. This is ARU through and through.

Most media contracts with sporting bodies have certain metrics needed to be met.

By way of an example if the AFL rating fell next year to say 20% of what they currently are there would be clauses within the media contract with minimum rating numbers.

There is no reason to suppose the SANDZZAR media deals would be any different and being spread across as I understand it 16 different broadcasters there would be a need to Super Rugby to rate at certain levels.

Media reports earlier in the year had South African and European rating in mega rating drops.

Then out of the blue SANDZZAR announces a reduction back to 15 teams.

Up until SANDZZAR announced the 15 teams it was all guns blazing on the 18 team format only consideration was somehow a revamp of the format.

Then out of the blue comes we must go back to 15 teams. My logic says the broadcasts were saying fix the ratings it worked with 15 teams and we need to make Australia and South Africa teams competitive.

However I admit to nearly always being the person with the unpopular opinion and people always asking for proof. So I don't have any proof it for me makes logical sense how it happened.

B

BLR

Then out of the blue comes we must go back to 15 teams. My logic says the broadcasts were saying fix the ratings it worked with 15 teams and we need to make Australia and South Africa teams competitive.

Your opinion is fine but we are dealing with past events now which seems to have followed the course I outlined above. There isn't much point trying to re-write history to suit your agenda.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Your opinion is fine but we are dealing with past events now which seems to have followed the course I outlined above. There isn't much point trying to re-write history to suit your agenda.

HHHHmmm

I asked the or followed a question saying what if SANDZZAR don't invite the WF to the new competition.

Someone asked why and I said I think broadcasters had a lot to do with it.

Someone then asked why.

I explained my throughts.

Its not a re write of history, its my opinion on what started all this off. Please disagree if you wish. Please say I am beyond foolish because of what ever reason you have.

Again IMO if I am right it will be impact on SANDZZAE's ability to move to a 16 team format.

Equally I could be wrong but all I did was respond to questions asked.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
I don't think SANZAAR invite individual teams but invite the governing bodies to feild a certain number of team , the revised agreement asks the ARU to provide at least 4 teams. To say Super 15 worked because of the number of teams is only half right. The inclusion of 2 extra countries is what really complicated the issue. They think they are going to solve this by keeping 5 countries doesn't really make sense.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
DI2pp6uV4AA6c5N.jpg:large

From Bay35Pablo's twitter.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A quick definitive result in the current court case is probably a last chance saloon for Force entry to 2018 Soup.

Unless forced to do so, I see Clyne belligerence holding onto the advice to SANZAAR for 4 Aus teams next year. I don't see SANZAAR proceeding against this advice.
Depends on what if any orders that the court makes. For example the ARU could be prevented from participating in Super Rugby unless it abides by its agreement with WF.

Big banks tend only to win in court when they use financial power to overwhelm litigants. Clyne can't rely on that here. He's fronting an organisation which tells anyone still listening how they have no money

Reactions: dru

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The fact that it's taken well over a week for His Honour to decide, one assumes that the issues aren't as clearcut as the ARU might have liked.

Reactions: dru

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
The fact that it's taken well over a week for His Honour to decide, one assumes that the issues aren't as clearcut as the ARU might have liked.
nah, busy blokes these judges, what with lunch, golf, social functions .... the occasional court case to deal with

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
nah, busy blokes these judges, what with lunch, golf, social functions .. the occasional court case to deal with

I think it was quoted somewhere he did have a significant caseload to complete. Whilst this is a priority to good Rugby folk of OZ, it might not have been high priority on his list.

Status
Not open for further replies.