• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
@ Derpus

That's the point though. It's his money and he has a bee in his bonnet over this cause.

Feel free to chip into those 100 more deserving causes with your own money if you wish.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
If you want the media $$s you get say 3 Japanese corporate teams, pinch a few East coast NRC teams then a few of the above

Japan has it's own competition, it's part of the reason why the Sunwolves have been a disaster on the field the past 2 seasons. The Top League is already relatively pissed off that Super Rugby has tried to come in and steal some of its presence (i'm not a proponent for them in Super Rugby as well, the one team national thing just doesn't work and isn't the right way to get the best out of the game on a national basis). New markets, new people and most importantly people that are 100% in on it, the last thing the competition would need is teams not 100% invested because they prioritize other things.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hong Kong would be a reasonable shout. Sri Lanka not so much. But I could be wrong. The AP Dragons (hopefully just called Singapore) would be another.

Wouldn't shock me to see the Drua jump across nor the likes of the Rams
actually, think someone like the Wild Knights may be a chance as well.

As for his plans on whether it will be full time or semi-pro. Depends on what his goals are. To compete or just exist. To compete he'd have to ensure it is fully pro in every sense. Already seen some mention of a Sevens set up alongside it. And women's. Hopefully in both formats.

Agree with most here.

Think semi pro is the way to go, except for the Fiji and Force teams. I still think having them involved in the NRC is in the best interest of all parties. For the Force a big chance to show and say f'u to the rest of the states and the Drua as they would need more than a handful of games to be professional (6 NRC games + say 10 games in this comp) etc

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Agree with most here.

Think semi pro is the way to go, except for the Fiji and Force teams. I still think having them involved in the NRC is in the best interest of all parties. For the Force a big chance to show and say f'u to the rest of the states and the Drua as they would need more than a handful of games to be professional (6 NRC games + say 10 games in this comp) etc

Could compete in both. See no real reason as to why they couldn't. It's an interesting development which I will be watching to see what comes of it. I think the primary goal will be to eventually force the ARU's hand with a merger of some kind.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Fiji Drua are currently funded by World Rugby.

It would be criticial for their involvement that World Rugby sanctions this tournament.

Playing it at the same time as Super Rugby is probably the best bet.

B

BLR

Lies by Clyne in regards to contacting RugbyWA. All indications have been RugbyWA heard sweet FA during this period. Maybe they called RugbyWA in Washington State US.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
From me post in the other thread.

Potential Teams:

+ Western Force (definite)
+ Greater Sydney Rams (likely interested)
+ NSW Country (likely interested)
+ Sydney Rays (likely interested)
+ Canberra Vikings (unlikely interested)
+ Fiji Drua (unlikely interested)
+ Melbourne Rising (unlikely interested)
+ Japanese team (unknown interest).
+ Samoan team (unknown interest).
+ Tongan team (unknown interest).

The NSW NRC teams aren't a fan of the NRC / the ARU at all. They would definitely be interested to hear Twiggy's proposal at the very least.

It'd provide a very clean pathway from Shute Shield to semi-professional rugby (Twiggy's breakaway), and if the competition was held alongside Super Rugby they could technically participate in both competitions.

Shute Shield -> Twiggy's Breakaway -> NRC -> Wallabies eligbility.

Considering the Rebels and the ACT were spared by the ARU, I think they'd be hesitant to join and lose favour.

Regardless, they could still enter their franchises utilising local players / Super Rugby squad players to participate throughout the Super Rugby season. It'd provide the same above pathway, if you replace SS with local competitions.

Financing / Broadcasting:

Utilising the 10 teams above as the upper limit for participation:

+ Twiggy could allocate $500k per team per year in the competitions infancy to assist with operations. ($5 mil per year capital outlay for Twiggy)

+ He could then facilitate the competitions broadcast via a League Pass (similar to NFL / NBA) for $50-$100 a season (or $10 for a single game).

If we assume ~5x the average Super Rugby crowd in Australia are interested, and this numbered is bolstered by pubs / clubs across Australia, we could assume that 50,000 purchase the year long subscription.

This would net $2.5 mil per year to subsidize the above outlay of $5 mil per year.

+ Teams would take all gate, which would help finance their operations, and would be able to procure some level of sponsorship.

With the above, each team would have access to approx. $1 mil per year, $500k of which may be able to be spent on player payments.

This equates to an average of about $17k per year, which is reasonable for a semi-professional competition, given that such remuneration is only for the non-NRC part of the year.

They'd also get access to a semi-professional environment, S&C, exposure to contracts etc.

Of course, as the competition grows in popularity so too would the revenue from the League Pass, sponsorship and the gate.

Obviously thats over simplified and the real costs would be quite extensive but a solid competition is not out of the question.

It'd also provide the ARU a good exit from Super Rugby when it inevitably dies.

M

Moono75

Go and watch/listen to Matt Hodgson at the press conference. There is a guy that has been dragged through the ringer. That's what it means to us as Force supporters. A team and organisation who have done everything to try and stay in this competition but have been slapped down at every opportunity when others who remain have done less. What a f#cken joke to dare call it the ARU.....it doesn't represent us.

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/09/05/12/44/matt-hodgson-breaks-down-after-news-western-force-cut

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Although I don't support the ARU, I simply can't lay blind trust in a character like Twiggy to be the saviour of the game nationally...

If you read the reports he has engaged other rugby experts to design the new comp. What TF brings is money which last time I checked ARU does not have much of.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Who has lost out on the dwindling support for Super Rugby?

The ARU have spent more money bailing out the Super Rugby sides resulting in smaller distributions to the State Unions and less direct spending on the grassroots.

Poorer financial results by the Super Rugby teams that have direct distributions to their State Union (such as the Waratahs) have seen that distribution drop which harms the grassroots.

Lack of growth in salaries to keep pace with Europe has meant we have lost more of the second tier players just below Wallaby level because we can't compete on those contracts.

I don't think by any stretch of the imagination you could say that those fans have flocked to club rugby. Crowds are incredibly healthy for a few teams but not the competition as a whole. There certainly hasn't been huge growth there in the last few years.

Agree that there has been more fans lost to rugby than just going to club rugby. It is more the rusted on in this site like myself who seek out alternatives like club rugby.

I seriously hope TF can galvanise with his rugby experts he has engaged is able to create a new pro competition as many like myself would happily revert to this as an alternative to something not managed by the ARU as equally many like myself would rather be involved in rugby where the ARU is not involved (hence my new found interest in shute shield games). I don't think you realise how much the ARU has alienated rugby fans from the game. It is only natural that if you don't like the sporting body overseeing key parts of the game you watch (like the professional game) this can impact on your support and where you seek out alternatives.

I am just amazed with the groundswell of public opinion against the ARU how the current BOD can remain in place. Serious question as you speak to anybody connected to rugby and go to any sports social media site the ARU has lost the rugby publics support. Major change has to happen as the ARU are just toxic to rebuilding support for rugby until this major change within the ARU happens.

Reactions: dru
Status
Not open for further replies.