• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I''m imagining a man on death row, someone comes forward and says the man is innocent we have proof.
I'm sorry it's too late, we need to go ahead with the process of our original decision. He then flicks the switch.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
They've rejuvenated their traditional base and found fta success in a single market...

But how are all of those teams doing?

The west is non existent.

Creating a base to build from and if they had not achieved this we would be where.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ah, touché. I define it so. Hadn't thought anyone would argue actually. I'd imagine, now, you think Soup is superior?
On what metrics is it better?

It is largely amateur comp where only a couple of teams and matchups attract good crowds.

The Shute Shield is going pretty well compared to any other time in the last decade but it is hardly primed to grow to much more than it currently is.

Super Rugby is in a sorry state but it is still the biggest thing in the Southern Hemisphere below test rugby and the only thing that provides a professional career to players.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

It is largely amateur comp where only a couple of teams and matchups attract good crowds.

The Shute Shield is going pretty well compared to any other time in the last decade but it is hardly primed to grow to much more than it currently is.

Super Rugby is in a sorry state but it is still the biggest thing in the Southern Hemisphere below test rugby and the only thing that provides a professional career to players.

You may not have meant to, but you've set up a straw man argument with this one.

What was asserted was that SS had "thrived since becoming independent from the ARU." (by me)

No one said it was "better", that is a construct that you have placed on it.

Then dru said " in its home base the SRU run Australia's most successful comp." (my bold)

Clearly no assertation in either post that one was "better" than another, because it's not an apples with apples comparison.

One is certainly operating more efficiently and more successfully "in its home base" than the other though. :)

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Name an Aus game that posted higher gate than the highest gate SS in 2017. I could be wrong but I'm thinking the biggest game in Aus club rugby was the SS final.

A comp does not need to be pro to be successful. But should still be recognised as successful.

It is not currently the SRU's job to fill a role for pro players. They would actually like this but have been held back by ARU.

And yes, it would have been a mess to allow the SS to go pro, but that doesn't change their aspiration nor their success.

In my view anyway.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Name an Aus game that posted higher gate than the highest gate SS in 2017. I could be wrong but I'm thinking the biggest game in Aus club rugby was the SS final.

A comp does not need to be pro to be successful. But should still be recognised as successful.

It is not currently the SRU's job to fill a role for pro players. They would actually like this but have been held back by ARU.

And yes, it would have been a mess to allow the SS to go pro, but that doesn't change their aspiration nor their success.

In my view anyway.
Tahs v Crusaders reported as 18.2k.

I don't think it is the Shute Shield's responsibility to provide professional opportunities but there is no doubt a lot of the participants want those opportunities.

Comparing the Shute Shield to Super Rugby is a pretty impossible comparison as Quick Hands said as they are entirely different things.

I think we need both to thrive. With that said, I'm very happy for something to thrive in Super Rugby's place and I tend to think that will be a Trans Tasman comp post 2020.

The landscape is changing fairly rapidly in South Africa and Australia. New Zealand will go with what works best for them and ultimately being their neighbour, I think that has to involve us.

The rugby fanbase in Australia is certainly fragmented and I can't see it being united behind one competition any time soon so it seems that multiple options provides the best opportunity for longer term success. Ultimately I do think those fans will unite behind a successful Wallabies team.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

for what it's worth, Reds had 3 games and Tahs had 2, and maybe 3 (15,911 v Brumbies) more than what the SMH reported for the SS final

Close to 16,000 fans – more than watched the Wallabies see out Fiji a few months back – were in attendance as the Warringah Rats beat Northern Suburbs in the 2017 Shute Shield final.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ulse-in-sports-heartland-20170821-gy1486.html

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
for what it's worth, Reds had 3 games and Tahs had 2, and maybe 3 (15,911 v Brumbies) more than what the SMH reported for the SS final

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ulse-in-sports-heartland-20170821-gy1486.html

I have a mate that works in relation to the broadcasting of the Shute Shield.

Probably like all crowd numbers, you need to take anything he, and the wider SS camp, says about the crowd figures.

I heard reports of 25, 22, 20k+ at the GF. I was there and I reckon 16 is far closer to the mark.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think we need both to thrive.

I no longer think so. I just cant personally see how Super Rugby, led by ARU NSWRU and QRU, can possibly thrive. They are just so far off beam.

Will we, should we, unite behind the Wallabies? I dont see it as a polemic. But in the area of grey that I do see, this year will be the first year that I personally attend no WB games. I'd imagine that I am part of a trend. If I lived in Perth, I'd be turning up in a Force shirt.

No I'm not walking away from the WBs, just not spending money.

But I most definitely am planning attendance at the Woodies next year, Rams this year.

It's a trend. Your hope that the WBs will reverse it, is I think optimistic.

I won't willingly spend money on anything that is seen to support the ARU. Or NSWRU or QRU. Without consideration. And yes I will spend there somewhere. It just wont be much compared to recent years.

And I'm really keen on Twiggy rugby and the Shute Shield.

Of course BH, if I am just a solo muppet, you have nothing to be bothered arguing about.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I no longer think so. I just cant personally see how Super Rugby, led by ARU NSWRU and QRU, can possibly thrive. They are just so far off beam.

I don't think there is a good outcome for rugby in Australia if the professional opportunities collapse in the near term.

If the game gets down to two men and a dog, it will still be run by the same unions just with different people involved.

I don't think any level below gets stronger because the thing above them collapses in terms of Australian rugby.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I really don't know how to feel about it but here is the ARU slinging some mud.

According to estimates, the ARU was told it could be in a worse-case $26 million financial hole by 2020, meaning it would be unable to continue trading in two years' time.

Puts Twiggies offer into perspective in several ways. a) fuck sake we couldve sorted this out b) fuck sake we couldve sorted this out.

Communication people! talk to your wives.

Status
Not open for further replies.