• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

If Forrest is wanting to retain players I would have thought time is of the essence, particularly for those who will be most in demand.

Of course you are right. But let's be serious here, even if a comp gets up and running as Twiggy plans, it's highly unlikely to be next year.

No rugby player is going to sit out of the game for a year, paid or not. And for those with higher aspirations, playing in a lower league is not going to help development too much.

I'll believe this new comp when it happens, and even if it does, it will not be of interest to me personally. Good luck to everyone involved in that, but my focus is on what the ARU and Melbourne Rebels do next.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not sure if this has been shared already.........

"I just don’t understand why RugbyWA didn’t contact Andrew Forrest in April,” Clyne said.

“One of the frustrating things here is there’s been a lot of opportunities for RugbyWA.

“Obviously we stepped in there and bailed them out 18 months, two years ago because no one else came forward.”

Clyne said the ARU asked RugbyWA for its best and final offer on August 2 before deciding whether to cut the Force or Rebels and RugbyWA didn’t come back with anything substantive.

“At that point in time, it was an inferior package to what Victoria put through and we had to make a decision, so we made that decision (to cut the Force),” he said.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/09/05/force-needed-twiggy-earlier-aru

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
the Force players and coaching staff are all contracted to their current boss, the ARU, so they will go where told, within reason or have their contracts paid out and are then free to pursue other avenues for an income, eg Twiggy comp, Japan, selling newspapers, whatever. those on ARU top ups (are there any ?) will presumably toe the line and finish up at The Rebels, Tahs, wherever. i think this will happen quickly.

Yep, the ARU cannot force any players to move city's or states. If a player wants their contract paid out they'll have to pay them out. Then they can chase the yen or euro for whichever buck may please. Good on 'em I say - they've been put through the ringer this year.

I don't expect many Wallabies or fringe wallabies to hang around in WA. There will however be a pathway towards representative football that doesn't involve moving to the east coast for Western Australians when this competition goes ahead. That's a silver lining for the remaining WA youngsters that aren't completely disillusioned with the sport after this clusterfuck of a year.

And Daz, this competition will be up and running by next year. February is 5 months away and SANZAAR haven't even released it's draw yet, what's makes you think Twiggy cant get a competition 1/3rd of the size organised in that time?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Next 2-3 weeks will be "interesting". The potential appeal for Starters, Senate enquiry, WA parliament blustering about "Action" against the ARU, then the Super Rugby Draw, Twiggy's Comp announcement and payouts/relocations.

Lots to keep all of busy, working the Rugby Championship, the NRC and whatever else we choose to follow around it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yep, the ARU cannot force any players to move city's or states. If a player wants their contract paid out they'll have to pay them out. Then they can chase the yen or euro for whichever buck may please. Good on 'em I say - they've been put through the ringer this year.

It's one of the other. They can't get their contract paid out and go and play overseas.

If they want to sit around and twiddle their thumbs for a year (or two depending on the length of contract) and get paid they can do that but I doubt anyone will unless they can't find another gig.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It's one of the other. They can't get their contract paid out and go and play overseas.

If they want to sit around and twiddle their thumbs for a year (or two depending on the length of contract) and get paid they can do that but I doubt anyone will unless they can't find another gig.

Are you sure that's how contract law works? It seems at odds to the observable workings of most sports.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Are you sure that's how contract law works? It seems at odds to the observable workings of most sports.
Not saying it's all or nothing by any means, but I'd imagine that there would be worded such that the ARU would be releasing the players from contract and paying the difference on any other Pro contract they sign, rather than lump sum the remaining value on a non-compete for the original contract length.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Really? That sounds rather dodgy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Really? That sounds rather dodgy.

I am sure there are adjustments etc. where required but certainly I don't think a player can say they don't want to play for x super rugby side, please pay me out my full contract and then go and sign overseas somewhere.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
BH & Derpus

Thanks you prove my point.

A point that made little sense..........

You seem to suggest that the growth of the game internationally will be mutually exclusive to Australia. I don't think that will be the case at all. Australia currently is and will continue to be an important player for international tours and touring. The EOYTs remain a key part of international rugby. Australian players will remain in demand.

Yes there are a few structural problems but if there is to be growth (remains to be seen) Australia will be a part of it.

M

Moono75

Of course you are right. But let's be serious here, even if a comp gets up and running as Twiggy plans, it's highly unlikely to be next year.

No rugby player is going to sit out of the game for a year, paid or not. And for those with higher aspirations, playing in a lower league is not going to help development too much.

I'll believe this new comp when it happens, and even if it does, it will not be of interest to me personally. Good luck to everyone involved in that, but my focus is on what the ARU and Melbourne Rebels do next.
Not interested unless your team gets chopped in a couple of years of course?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Its starting to piss me off how people have been attacking Twiggy for not stepping in earlier and have been critical of the Force for entering into the deal basically saying it's their own fault and that the aru gave them a life line when no one else would. Well this is straight from the horses mouth everything about this has been dodge and underhanded Clyne and ARU are a disgrace.

Screenshot_20170906-183331.png

I like how the figures in the ARU tables show how the Rebels are receiving money from the Vic Gov and that if they were cut they would lose future money for unsigned tests which then assume no one will pick up the match's Yet the force figures show none of the support the WA gov have pledged and showed that if they didn't want to hold the test in 2019 another state would pick it up.

Everything about those figures is crooked. The numbers for the own the force capped out at 5mill yet it would could be extended to 8mill plus the double up of the Twiggy offer and that's before we talk about the 50mill pledged which you can say was late but fuck me its 50mill more money than they get from the whole broadcast agreement.

Even with the Vic Gov help they are still fucked in 2020 and let's be honest it's no guarantee if the gov changes whats to say they won't want to support them.

People questioning the Senates now involment really need to step back. The ARU receive millions in funding from the Gov why shouldn't they be held to account. Clyne stated at the meeting in Adelaide that they have no business looking at them well if you have nothing to hide it won't matter.

M

Moono75

In a straight out fair fight between the Force and the Rebels on all comparisons it is clear that the wrong team has been axed. The ARU are shoddy and I hope the dealings to transfer the Rebels licence to the VRU with the assistance of the ARU are looked into by the Senate inquiry.

D

daz

What garbage, I'd love to know how the Twiggy backed offer was inferior to the Rebels offer. this bloke is full of shit, hasn't stopped lying from day 1

You understand that one way or another, SANZAAR and the ARU were going to cut a team in Oz. With or without Mr Twiggy.

The Force were the only team that could be cut legally. All other Oz teams were legally protected by their licence.

You need to stop thinking that this was a case of the ARU picking the Force to spite Twiggy. Twiggy's money made no difference.

But, people seem to be stuck in this circular argument, that the Force were a better proposition than the Rebels. Yep, they probably were, but where was their licence again? Oh, yes, that's right. In the ARU's pocket.

Getting all angry at Clyne for carrying out the job set for him by SANZAAR and agreed by the ARU is a bit silly. By all means challenge the process, but not the ending; that was a foregone conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.