• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
No, I think his comment was valid . The season should start with local games v teams that have the biggest followings so that the initial enthusiasm begins with a blast. He is right to suggest this drip start off shore is hopeless - that's my opinion (and before you shitcan me again - I note the forum welcomes us to feel free to talk about anything ) are we ok?

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
It was the same last year I believe. It just shows that the comp needs a massive change. I guess in a couple of years there is a good chance we will see it as well. Obviously I have a bad veiw of the competition because the force got raped by the Aru and it's limp dick corrupt phonies but it's just a shit start. Unless you're South African. If you remember last year no one gave a shit about the SA conference. Even the boys on the podcast admitted they hardly watched it.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
True all valid questions but in the end we will never know unfortunately, the fact remains though that without playing NZ and SA regularly OZ will struggle. I understand the closed conference concept and it's benefits but just to have one team or a couple go through to the finals and only then play OS sides will be very detrimental.

I think you raise a valid concern about what might happen to Australia's competitiveness if they don't play SA and NZ teams regularly. I'm not sure what would happen. But it sounds like a reasonable concern. I'm just not sure if it outweighs the advantages of closed conferences for the spectators as I understand it. But I could be wrong.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
on average Australian Derbies outrate the other games but that's mostly a NSW and Qld thing.

Games for those two against kiwi teams have generally outrated Force and Rebels games as an example (and of course there's various reasons for that including shithouse scheduling)

Plus NZ and Australia want games in the SA timezone to maximise the sweet sweet northern hemisphere $$$$$

OK. I thought the derbies rated better in every country overall. But maybe I'm wrong about that. Be good to see some statistics for the last 5 years. But I think I do remember reading about better ratings for Kiwi teams for a period, during last year. So you could be right overall. Yeah, I think you might be right about the extra dollars in the SA timezone, but surely it would be offset somewhat but the reduction in travel costs with closed conferences. Anyhow, I don't mean to flog a dead horse. I was just trying to understand. Thanks for your and Jamie's patience with me in trying to explain it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
South Africa is playing Wales in the USA outside of the test window in early June when NZ and Australia conf only play a round of Super Rugby to catch up

Shh Strewth, don't tell Shiggins etc that then we will have super rugby at our timezone and SA not, didn't NZ do same last year for Lion's tour?
Do all comps have to start same weekend? Real question as I don't follow any other sports in a big way.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Let's face it , on this thread if they all started on the same weekend there would be a number complaining that there was too much rugby for an opening weekend! Geez fellas the Rugby World cup does not start with all games on same weekend etc etc, that seems to work ok.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
No, I think his comment was valid . The season should start with local games v teams that have the biggest followings so that the initial enthusiasm begins with a blast. He is right to suggest this drip start off shore is hopeless - that's my opinion (and before you shitcan me again - I note the forum welcomes us to feel free to talk about anything ) are we ok?

It's not off-shore for SA. And I think you'd know if I shit-canned you. ;) If you ignore the fact that a couple of SA local derbies are played, then you can pretend it all kicks off next weekend. I really cannot see what the big deal is.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Let's face it , on this thread if they all started on the same weekend there would be a number complaining that there was too much rugby for an opening weekend! Geez fellas the Rugby World cup does not start with all games on same weekend etc etc, that seems to work ok.

No. The schedule is peculiar. They continue to play with it, but it remains problematic. Not as bad as last season, but that is no recommendation.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's not off-shore for SA. And I think you'd know if I shit-canned you. ;) If you ignore the fact that a couple of SA local derbies are played, then you can pretend it all kicks off next weekend. I really cannot see what the big deal is.

Yep, as long as next week is promoted as the first round for Australian and NZ teams, it really doesn’t matter..........

T

TOCC

One things for sure, the money ‘saved’ from cutting the Force hasn’t being reinvested in marketing the Super Rugby comp, unless you’re a dedicated fan you wouldn’t even know it was kicking off this weekend

half

Alan Cameron (40)
One things for sure, the money ‘saved’ from cutting the Force hasn’t being reinvested in marketing the Super Rugby comp, unless you’re a dedicated fan you wouldn’t even know it was kicking off this weekend

Gotta agree, media was as scarce as hens teeth.

Reactions: mst

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
No idea where to put this but was watching the Saffa games & we really need to improve how rugby deals with highlights. (and to be fair, last weekends games weren't too bad). Typically it's:-

• 5 min clip has 30s of teams running out, a few crowd shots and the kickoff
  • First try - 5 hitups from 1m out then the ref puts his arm up, but you can't see anything from the TV angle.
  • A conversion
  • A penatly goal
  • A guy running the ball in from the 22m line, with no replay of how and why there was a break
  • 3 slow motion replays of him diving and grounding the ball
  • A conversion
  • A yellow card for (presumably) repeated offenses, but no explanation why from that particular ruck
  • Another yellow card, this time from a scrum collapse
  • Another penalty goal
  • A pushover maul from a lineout
  • Slow motion replays of the pileup at the end
  • Another conversion
  • Last 20s showing guys with their arms in the air and shaking hands, then some more crowd shots
5 minutes of highlights done!

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
^^^^^^^ totally agree. There are many highlights in a game that don't necessarily involve actually scoring a point. It seems to be a very lazy way to put a highlights reel together.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Yep, as long as next week is promoted as the first round for Australian and NZ teams, it really doesn’t matter....

Except the first games are the Highlander - Blues and Rebels - Reds. Really should be something like Brumbies - Crusaders to kick off the AU/NZ season. That is a game that is typically of interest for most fans. You then make sure that is the first game (alternate venues) every year and promote the shit out of it. Make it into an event basically by telling everyone that it is an event. Works for the AFL.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Except the first games are the Highlander - Blues and Rebels - Reds. Really should be something like Brumbies - Crusaders to kick off the AU/NZ season. That is a game that is typically of interest for most fans. You then make sure that is the first game (alternate venues) every year and promote the shit out of it. Make it into an event basically by telling everyone that it is an event. Works for the AFL.
yep totally agree

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

One issue might be that the current structure does not mean the Brumbies and Crusaders will even play each other every year. I believe. So the marquee game to start each season would have to change year by year. Maybe they could try to have 1 play the next highest finisher from previous year (as it fits the draw) to make it interesting?

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
One issue might be that the current structure does not mean the Brumbies and Crusaders will even play each other every year. I believe. So the marquee game to start each season would have to change year by year. Maybe they could try to have 1 play the next highest finisher from previous year (as it fits the draw) to make it interesting?

Possibly or maybe we shouldn't have such a stupid draw. I'd argue that people don't want interesting but instead want something consistent to look forward to - if we are stuck with the draw, maybe then it should be Reds v Waratahs or Brumbies v Waratahs. The AFL have only been doing it since 2009 but have now managed to make it into the "traditional season opener". The "Anzac day clash" (Essendon v Collingwood) been around a bit longer (1995) but you create a new tradition, advertise it, stick with it and make it into an event. Of course, that takes time to build up the following and RA hasn't exactly shown much of a clue on how to promote rugby over the past decade.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Possibly or maybe we shouldn't have such a stupid draw. I'd argue that people don't want interesting but instead want something consistent to look forward to - if we are stuck with the draw, maybe then it should be Reds v Waratahs or Brumbies v Waratahs. The AFL have only been doing it since 2009 but have now managed to make it into the "traditional season opener". The "Anzac day clash" (Essendon v Collingwood) been around a bit longer (1995) but you create a new tradition, advertise it, stick with it and make it into an event. Of course, that takes time to build up the following and RA hasn't exactly shown much of a clue on how to promote rugby over the past decade.

Be fair, that requires some thinking and using logic and you cannot ask a board to do what it beyond its ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.