• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
To be fair, I'd buy a linen Reds shirt. Their jersey's are too hot to wear in our climate outside of the one or two weeks of winter we get.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
An exercise for the reader:
Compare and contrast - a match comprised of Kiwi team v Kiwi team as against a match comprised of Aussie team v Aussie team.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
An exercise for the reader:
Compare and contrast - a match comprised of Kiwi team v Kiwi team as against a match comprised of Aussie team v Aussie team.

Harlem.gif

Vs

Fail kick.gif

I'll just leave this here.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
The standard of the highlanders V Blues had me in raptures and excited that Super Rugby was back. 1 hour later, the pain that is being an Aussie rugby fan was back. There is plenty of excuses rolled out by us fans but I am starting to realise that we simply are not good enough and I am not blaming the young kids out there trying their guts out. Administratively, player development, contracting list management, coaching, marketing, fan engagement, is there any area that we excel at?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Administratively, player development, contracting list management, coaching, marketing, fan engagement, is there any area that we excel at?

Yes.

Well, no. But it's fine …

I'd like to say "the fish stinks first at the head" but that's not really true.

The rot actually starts in the guts. The head remains clueless.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
The standard of the highlanders V Blues had me in raptures and excited that Super Rugby was back. 1 hour later, the pain that is being an Aussie rugby fan was back. There is plenty of excuses rolled out by us fans but I am starting to realise that we simply are not good enough and I am not blaming the young kids out there trying their guts out. Administratively, player development, contracting list management, coaching, marketing, fan engagement, is there any area that we excel at?

Geez, it was a hard watch after the Kiwi game, but one thing i can't get my head around is the plastic nature of the competition. The Kiwis grow up with the game, you look at the atmosphere of Dunedin (indoor stadium helps), but you can't help the feeling there going through the motions in Australia. Does anyone really care, or purpose.The failure of Super rugby is the lack of passion, tribalism

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Why is it so? Why are the Kiwi derbies so much better than ours, by any measure?

Rugby is the winter sport in New Zealand. Top to bottom, side to side, and back again, rugby rules.

So it follows that the quality of their elite players must be, as a generalisation, higher than the quality of our elite players, simply because rugby has the pick of the crop to choose from in New Zealand. Okay, the crop is smaller over there, but it is clearly big enough to sustain a substantial number of bloody good teams.

Our crop is much bigger, but rugby is not able to attract the pick of the crop, without being uncharitable, our player cohort is in the lower end of the rankings. Again, that is a generalisation, but it is pretty obvious that the two opposing giant winter codes, AFL and NRL have much more money, many more paid positions for players, and are much more attuned to the Australian sporting sensibilities.

So they get more than their fair share of the pickings from the crop.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Yes if ever RA need to understand what sort of rugby would bring the crowds back it would be getting every administrator, coach and professional player watching the highlanders and Blues game. And then to equally understand the yawning gap they have to close to achieve that standard to then watch the Rebels vs Reds game.

I traditionally have refused to watch nz sides play each other but after watching the highlanders vs blues game and then watch the rubbish dished up in Rebels vs Reds game I am beginning think it is starting to be the only way to watch decent rugby in this country without having to resort to watching league.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Geez, it was a hard watch after the Kiwi game, but one thing i can't get my head around is the plastic nature of the competition. The Kiwis grow up with the game, you look at the atmosphere of Dunedin (indoor stadium helps), but you can't help the feeling there going through the motions in Australia. Does anyone really care, or purpose.The failure of Super rugby is the lack of passion, tribalism
Lack of tribalism? Bullshit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I have to agree with that, but I still think that one of the issues is lack interest or caring regards this competition.

You compare this to the nature of AFL and NRL where people appear to have a vested interest, that tribalism factor.

But Super rugby seems to be such a big yawn for Australians, I don't think its just the players, but when the whole thing is just some glorified Wallaby trial and the comp is designed by a Pay TV provider.

I may be wrong but i can't see the game here growing until that changes.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I have to agree with that, but I still think that one of the issues is lack interest or caring regards this competition.

You compare this to the nature of AFL and NRL where people appear to have a vested interest, that tribalism factor.

But Super rugby seems to be such a big yawn for Australians, I don't think its just the players, but when the whole thing is just some glorified Wallaby trial and the comp is designed by a Pay TV provider.

I may be wrong but i can't see the game here growing until that changes.

Yep, a four team competition lacking IMO connection to those other than hard core rusted on's.

We need and have for so long now a national domestic competition.

NRL looks like expanding by two teams to 18 teams.... NRl expanding into the PI nations.

AFL in fear of soccer's player numbers starting AFLX, and AFL Women's.

Basketball making a comeback

Cricket in talks to extend the Big Bash.

Netball and its now national domestic competition.

A-League expanding and FFA unbelievable successful launch of the A-League FIFA E-game.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Yep, a four team competition lacking IMO connection to those other than hard core rusted on's.

We need and have for so long now a national domestic competition.

NRL looks like expanding by two teams to 18 teams.. NRl expanding into the PI nations.

AFL in fear of soccer's player numbers starting AFLX, and AFL Women's.

Basketball making a comeback

Cricket in talks to extend the Big Bash.

Netball and its now national domestic competition.

A-League expanding and FFA unbelievable successful launch of the A-League FIFA E-game.

Yep that's it, the rusted on fans will watch, but how does the game grow, how does it attract new fans.

The top down nature of the game here prevents it from spreading to a larger audience.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep that's it, the rusted on fans will watch, but how does the game grow, how does it attract new fans.

The top down nature of the game here prevents it from spreading to a larger audience.

Hello Twiggy - how are your plans and for investment of millions in rugby in our region going? Could you perhaps spare some fund to allocate towards poaching overseas coaches and player from league on top of your grassroots funding proposed as I think we need some more short term fixes in terms of better and more skilled players playing our game in short term.

half

Alan Cameron (40)

Yep 100% correct.

Hello Twiggy - how are your plans and for investment of millions in rugby in our region going? Could you perhaps spare some fund to allocate towards poaching overseas coaches and player from league on top of your grassroots funding proposed as I think we need some more short term fixes in terms of better and more skilled players playing our game in short term.

He is only saying what most of the thread agrees with.

Twiggy IMO has made the same error, trying to make his competition to international.

If Twiggy funded some key clubs teams say out of Sydney, Canberra, Newcastle, Brisbane he would destroy Super Rugby.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Yep 100% correct.

He is only saying what most of the thread agrees with.

Twiggy IMO has made the same error, trying to make his competition to international.

If Twiggy funded some key clubs teams say out of Sydney, Canberra, Newcastle, Brisbane he would destroy Super Rugby.

That is the way i would like to see the game go, I truly believe part of the problem is just having 4 or what was 5 teams. The money is an issue, not a small one but you have to present to the market a competition the Australian market knows and wants.

Maybe an extension of the NRC, use that as the base. The fact is we can't compete with the European money with either competitions, but a domestic competition is going to give you far greater growth long term.

And accept that you have to build it from the bottom up

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Can’t remember ever having an argument with anyone over the water cooler about the sunwolves or Argentine team or the South African teams

I get caught at the water cooler to talk about Saffer rugby all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.