• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I read that twiggy just pocketed $2 billion for the financial year. That's not just Fortescue Minerals profit - personally banked two fucken billion. He could finance RA for 10 years and it wouldn't even cost him half this years earnings.
Yeah, dividends only $1.95 billion. But net worth did go up by $11 billion on paper.

Whatever. He's a rich bloke who wants to include some level of rugby on the lower end of his list of projects. That's how rugby works in the big NH comps. Only difference here is it's local.

There are potentially other wealthy punters who could be interested in a team.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Once again. And perhaps you've missed it previously. There are tax benefits to investing in sports. That's why he's done so through his Minderoo foundation.

I realise that WCR, it's why a few do it, and I not in anyway taking away from what he is doing which is great, and I like everything he is saying and doing. Just RA has to be aware that they don't rely on his money as he can pull the money and put it in another sport if they don't do what he wants. Is GRR still going ahead? He can invest in other sports and get tax benefits too.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I realise that WCR, it's why a few do it, and I not in anyway taking away from what he is doing which is great, and I like everything he is saying and doing. Just RA has to be aware that they don't rely on his money as he can pull the money and put it in another sport if they don't do what he wants. Is GRR still going ahead? He can invest in other sports and get tax benefits too.

I dont see why Perth couldnt have a team in Super Rugby and GRR. They are on different levels anyway.

Cant see it going ahead till 2022 anyway.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I dont see why Perth couldnt have a team in Super Rugby and GRR. They are on different levels anyway.

Cant see it going ahead till 2022 anyway.

Of course they can, I just ask is GRR still going, let's face it it was a Twiggy comp, I surre he was paying for more than just Force, and is he still going on with it in 2022 or whenever. If it has been knocked on the head because Force are back with RA, it sounds warning bells to me is all I saying, and I imagine RA would also know not to rely on Twiggy's money too much.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Twiggy's requests are basically 1. get the administration and franchises focused on the overall development and promotion of the game, not just to their individual benefit. 2. Develop a competition model that is in our time zone, so easy to watch, not @ 1 am or 2 am and has some tribal appeal. 3. Present a product that it good to watch ( minor law variations to promote a more ball in hand game), be competitive and has an element of crowd entertainment that helps brings crowds back in and is added entertainment on the TV. 4. Stop gouging the public with high ticket prices, make it affordable to go to. 5. Include the Force.
Over that go do the best TV deal that you can and ensure there is an element of Free to Air... and for all that he will pick up the short fall and is in no rush to get his cash out of it any time soon.. All those requests are to the benefit of the game, not him. The game needs money, he has plenty of it, to the point his investment in Rugby AU would hardly even register on his bottom line. If Rugby AU can achieve the above, which they should be aiming for anyway, the game will likely become self sufficient in time and its reliance on anyone, especially if we get the RWC and have a Lions tour, the game will be well set up for the future.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah - Twiggy's conditions are all things RA should pursue regardless of his funding offered. So they should pursue them and any additional funds they get from Twiggy is a bonus.

If they do all of the above we'll be in a much healthier position.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
article in the paper today suggests that private equity interest in Oz Rugby is legit but only if there is an international component to Super Rugby (specifically NZL). That's why kiwis are back interested in a 5 team comp.

Hope is for next year but COVID may restrict that and push it out to 22.

RA making overtures to Rodda, Skelton, McMahon, Talu about coming back with the Force targeted recipients. Also Puma players being heavily targeted too

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
article in the paper today suggests that private equity interest in Oz Rugby is legit but only if there is an international component to Super Rugby (specifically NZL). That's why kiwis are back interested in a 5 team comp.

RA making overtures to Rodda, Skelton, McMahon, Talu about coming back with the Force targeted recipients. Also Puma players being heavily targeted too

i know he was randomly mentioned on a different thread the other day but id love to see Opeti Helu back in Aus rugby too

Also wouldn't be against a healthy raid on NRL players with a Union history

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Which paper may I ask?

As for players. Would be great to see those mentioned back in Aus and I quite like the idea of importing Argentine s as well.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Also wouldn't be against a healthy raid on NRL players with a Union history

Not sure that would work too well for the Force, unless there was someone who grew up in Perth to lure back. Also even if they have history in rugby there is always going to be time spent before they are ready for union at a professional level. That's much easier in a settled environment, which the Force probably won't be next year, given the recruitment required. The way it's going at the moment, only the Reds and Brumbies look like they'll be particularly settled, and the reds already have an NRL player coming in in Vunivalu.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Not sure that would work too well for the Force, unless there was someone who grew up in Perth to lure back. Also even if they have history in rugby there is always going to be time spent before they are ready for union at a professional level. That's much easier in a settled environment, which the Force probably won't be next year, given the recruitment required. The way it's going at the moment, only the Reds and Brumbies look like they'll be particularly settled, and the reds already have an NRL player coming in in Vunivalu.

Pretty irrelevant whether they are Perth locals or not, it's an ideal scenario but pretty unrealistic

Look its sound logic but by the same token you need to get the force competitive in a small amount of time, how much of the current squad need to be replaced? Id say at least half, if not more. Is there half a squad worth of players out there that are willing and able to sign for the force for next year? If not the next best option is a pro athlete with at least a background in the sport

btw im talking about a 1,2 absolute max 3 person recruitment for a whole squad

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)

I presume the Super 8 concept won't be enough to qualify as the international component?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

With an open cheque book you could easily turn the Force into a very competitive team.

Believe it when i see it though.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It's from Reg's best buddy Panda in the tele.

Interesting you asking for the sauce since you're one of the wurst worst offenders. :)

I just want to clear up my since deleted remark directed at you. It wasn't meant in a terse or aggressive manner. More a recognition of your jab with a less than eloquently formed version of 'get lost smart arse'.

Status
Not open for further replies.