• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Isnt Frizell a kiwi? Shanon's brother.

They’re brothers but he is an Aussie, I think they came from a very fractured home, I remember reading somewhere that they didn’t meet or maybe live together until they were in their teens.......something along those lines that was very unusual

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Forget about leaguies. We have enough talent here and abroad to meet our needs.

Isn't the whole issue that we don't have enough talent to fill 5 competitive super teams? I'd imagine the "leaugies" particularly those with Rugby backgrounds would be cheaper than those plying their trade in Europe or Japan. Love to see the following junior rugby stars back where it started. Luke Keary at 10, Crichton at 6/7, Cam Murray at 12/13 and Frizell at 6/8. All four would make an immediate impact.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Isn't the whole issue that we don't have enough talent to fill 5 competitive super teams? I'd imagine the "leaugies" particularly those with Rugby backgrounds would be cheaper than those plying their trade in Europe or Japan. Love to see the following junior rugby stars back where it started. Luke Keary at 10, Crichton at 6/7, Cam Murray at 12/13 and Frizell at 6/8. All four would make an immediate impact.

Our record of converting leaguies to our game is poor. Maybe that is the issue? Plus, by definition, we would have to pay them more in our game than they can earn in their own code. Maybe that is another issue?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That's largely thanks to the earning curve being far too steep for many of them to overcome in a short space of time. Which is often the issue with the guys we've poached having little to no Rugby experience.

I wouldn't support similar recruitment. Only those with established pasts in the game.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Our record of converting leaguies to our game is poor. Maybe that is the issue? Plus, by definition, we would have to pay them more in our game than they can earn in their own code. Maybe that is another issue?

Is it though?

Who’s been a failure? Only ones that come to mind for me are Blacklock and Tahu

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Remember a couple of ex-Canberra players converting without a whole lot of success, McLinden I think and a full back whose name escapes me.

Clinton Schifcofske and he played alot for the Reds and was quite good no superstar but Im sure he wasn't paid like one, most have been pretty good when they have come over Rogers, Walker, Dell, Tequri, Folau, Ryan, Thorn all very good players and Ive forgotten many who have been successful..

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Remember a couple of ex-Canberra players converting without a whole lot of success, McLinden I think and a full back whose name escapes me.

Never heard of McLinden, other guy was Clinton Schifcofske, while not brilliant was a solid super player

But you kinda answered my question though, your only examples were pretty left field. While all League players have had varying degrees of success and some transitioned alot more smooth than others, there's very few that would be considered a cross code failure

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Never heard of McLinden, other guy was Clinton Schifcofske, while not brilliant was a solid super player

But you kinda answered my question though, your only examples were pretty left field. While all League players have had varying degrees of success and some transitioned alot more smooth than others, there's very few that would be considered a cross code failure
Jordan Rapana
Will Chambers (can argue this one)
Sam Burgess
Benji Marshall
Reece Robinson
Quite a few in Shute Shield.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Mark McLinden, played for Reds for a year retired because of injury, was pretty handy from what I remember.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Jordan Rapana
Sam Burgess
Benji Marshall
Reece Robinson
I think the success of the player generally depends what stage in their careers they are at, some players had just been drilled so much in a certain system or skills that it’s hard to wind it back and teach or re-teach skills.

There has been as many successes as there has been failures, which pretty much coincides with any transfer of a player to a new club be that league to union or union to union.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
There has been as many successes as there has been failures, which pretty much coincides with any transfer of a player to a new club be that league to union or union to union.
I agree. I have enjoyed watching some of the league guys thrive and add to the game. I just wanted to add a few names that people probably have forgotten because, well, they were failures.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Jordan Rapana
Sam Burgess
Benji Marshall
Reece Robinson

The original comment was “our development of league players” so Burgess and Marshall are England and NZ’s failures

I wouldn’t put Chambers in that catergory at all, Reece Robinso fair enough......Shute Shields irrelevant it’s not even a pro comp

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Even so, Burgess wasn’t a failure. He just wasn’t an inside centre, at least not a test one, and he was rushed into the test side, with another couple of years under his belt he could have been a great #6.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The original comment was “our development of league players” so Burgess and Marshall are England and NZ’s failures

I wouldn’t put Chambers in that catergory at all, Reece Robinso fair enough..Shute Shields irrelevant it’s not even a pro comp

I never knew who Chambers was before he came to Reds (I don't follow league at all) and wondered who the hell Reds had bought, he really had not much idea, but to be fair he may of needed a couple of years before trying to play 13 in Rugby. He just continually got caught out in defence, and looked somewhat confused when anyone changed attack with inside passes etc.
I think any leaguie really needs a few years before judging the too harshly, well I have to give them time I have decided.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Outside Centre is a tough position. If you sign somebody from league to play any position other than wing, it's a complete crap shoot. You might get Peter Ryan, but history suggests you're more likely to get Timana Tahu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom