• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
They're going to have at most about six weeks to play whatever the Trans Tasman crossover bit.

I don't expect it will include all the teams.

I think given the lack of games in the domestic schedule each team will be basically demanding a trans-tasman fixture at a minimum

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd bet on each Australian and NZ team playing each other once, with the top Kiwi team playing the top Australian team again in the final. Or possibly no final.

This is taking place after we've each played a double round robin and then final(s).

I'd be really surprised if we're then having 6 weeks for every Australian team to play every NZ team plus a week for a final. I would think it would be a new mini tournament where every team involved has a chance to win.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is taking place after we've each played a double round robin and then final(s).

I'd be really surprised if we're then having 6 weeks for every Australian team to play every NZ team plus a week for a final. I would think it would be a new mini tournament where every team involved has a chance to win.

It would be a new mini tournament where you essentially have 2 pools with only cross-over pool games. So at the end you'd get a top performing Australian team (against Kiwi opposition), and a top performing NZ team (against Australian opposition). Ideally they'd then play a final. The domestic competitions before it wouldn't count towards this at all, it'd be a pure TT competition.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah what I'm talking about is a new tournament where you essentially have 2 pools with only cross-over pool games. So at the end you'd get a top performing Australian team (against Kiwi opposition), and a top performing NZ team (against Australian opposition). Ideally they'd then play a final. The domestic competitions before it wouldn't count towards this at all, it'd be a pure TT competition.
Isn't this the equivalent of the conference system that the Kiwis hate so much?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So if it doesn't include all the teams some teams are playing 8 games the WHOLE year? Yeah ok.

This is only for 2021.

Maybe they will do two pools or something so everyone gets at least a couple of games.

Super Rugby AU/NZ finish on 8 May.

Let's assume that the July test series starts on Saturday 3 July or at the latest Saturday 10 July and there is no rugby the weekend before it starts then you've got either 6 or 7 weeks in total and that includes playing the weekend after the Super Rugby AU/NZ Final.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Sticking them in Parra is just as challenging. You either need to pay 30 odd Fijians enough to be away from their families for half the year, or recruit locally which will just hit the Tahs already slim stocks.

But it gets them revenue in Aus $$ in an area where they have potential for good crowds whilst providing content in a good timeslot

And rugby is essentially just another content provider

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Isn't this the equivalent of the conference system that the Kiwis hate so much?

It'd be a separate mini tournament to decide the best team against foreign opposition. So whichever team finishes top of the NZ pool for example would be the one that did the best against Australian opposition (and all teams will have played the same opposition so it's pretty fair).

Both countries will have already determined a top team against domestic opposition so I don't think there's any need for mixed pools where you'll get heaps of teams playing each other for a 3rd (or potentially even 4th) time in the season.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I have no idea what they'll do but I just know no team will be ok with only playing 8 matches for the year.

It just makes the decision to continue with Aotearoa and AU separately rather than one combined comp even sillier.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
From memory you also said the Kiwi Super Rugby doesn’t need a final and said you thought the kiwi system this year was better then having a final series

You right, I still not sure you need a final, but can understand why you do for TV. I still believe as in premier soccer in England it gives a much fairer champion, someone who has won most games during year. Mate you talking to someone who's team in Brisbane won a comp after we had played our main rivals (Ipswich) 4 times during year (counting preseason), we never even lead in any one of those games 1 preseason comp, 2 round robin games, 1 vs 2 playoff, until final when with 5 minutes to go we got a penalty that drew the game, and then about 3 minutes to go in extra time we scored to win the cup. I felt it was a hollow cup win, but plenty liked it. As I say I understand why we have final for TV but certainly don't need to have 2 rounds to drop off 1 or 2 teams in my opinion. But by same token if other think it better it up to them.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I have no idea what they'll do but I just know no team will be ok with only playing 8 matches for the year.

It just makes the decision to continue with Aotearoa and AU separately rather than one combined comp even sillier.

Its probably okay for a one-off. From 2022 it will be a full 12 team comp, or isn't that the plan?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep, i believe it will be a 10 week tournament with each team playing each other twice and a GF. There’s no point making it a top 2 or 3, it will harm the finances of those who dont participate, and not to mention it will be difficult to plan for without knowing which teams are going to participate until May

Seems to be what it will be for next year, NZ have already got a 10 week plus final, so plenty of time for another comp or couple of mini comps.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
They're going to have at most about six weeks to play whatever the Trans Tasman crossover bit.

I don't expect it will include all the teams.

yes, 10 team tournament is what i meant, which means they playe each other once with a final i.e 6 week.

It has to include all teams, otherwise its a stupid concept. What's the point of not including all teams? Teams need to book stadiums, arrange hotels, travel and government quarantine requirements. They cant wait until May to coordinate all that.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Its probably okay for a one-off. From 2022 it will be a full 12 team comp, or isn't that the plan?

Nah it really isn't ok. What a massive drop in revenue and fan engagement when there's no need (games can be played). It's farcical. NRL and AFL will be back to 22-24 matches a season and we're doing 8.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
This is only for 2021.

Maybe they will do two pools or something so everyone gets at least a couple of games.

Let's assume that the July test series starts on Saturday 3 July or at the latest Saturday 10 July and there is no rugby the weekend before it starts then you've got either 6 or 7 weeks in total and that includes playing the weekend after the Super Rugby AU/NZ Final.

Why wouldn't they fill that 6-7 week window with content that the broadcasters are asking for given both organisations are struggling financially?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Nah it really isn't ok. What a massive drop in revenue and fan engagement when there's no need (games can be played). It's farcical. NRL and AFL will be back to 22-24 matches a season and we're doing 8.

Agree, NZRU lost $40million in 2020, RA would have lost a similar amount.... 2021 is not the year to go cutting back on content to sell to the public! Especially not after the players get an even larger off-season.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
This is only for 2021.

I like the idea of a Cup and Bowl type situation? Would work better with 6 teams in each comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.