• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hi Dan

Yes time to move on and I need to refrain from responding to posts. Time to try and be Switzerland I think. I think it is interesting private equity circling NZ rugby/All Blacks and to my mind this influence will be pervasive. But lets see what unfolds.

It is after all just a game...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hi Dan

Yes time to move on and I need to refrain from responding to posts. Time to try and be Switzerland I think. I think it is interesting private equity circling NZ rugby/All Blacks and to my mind this influence will be pervasive. But lets see what unfolds.

It is after all just a game.
Mate you and me both :D

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Haha, am I the only one with the brain power to not read anything I don't want to?:p Or did I miss the rule about making it compulsory to read every thread and post?:rolleyes:
2F505E4F-7208-4770-A932-4706BC37F453.jpeg

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Anyway.

Rumours RA will announce their new broadcast agreement this week, with details of next years competition included, and confirmation that Australia will have 5 teams in 2021 as well :)

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Many of us thought we should ditch Super Rugby altogether and move to a domestic only comp.

I'd have been fine with that, but if the rumour of a 12 team comp (5 Oz, 5 NZ, 2 Pacific Island) from 2022 is right then that sounds pretty good!

It'll be interesting to see the format they go for. If there's still something along the lines of the 'Super 8' / Champions League concept in the plans, plus State of Union then it might just be a single round robin like the old Super 12. If a champions league is on the back burner then I'd guess they'd have 2 conferences where you play everyone in your own conference home and away, and the other conference once. Even with that format there'd be the options of permanent Aus and NZ conferences, or mixing them up every year.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I can't see how two Pacific Island side can be commercial unless they are based in NZ or Aus

Apparently the Moana Pacifica team (primarily Tongan and Samoan) would be based in NZ, but the 2nd team would be in Fiji. I guess they'd just be an extension of the Drua/Latui, but no doubt they'd need significant additional backing in order to bring back some of their European based players, which they'd need to do to be competitive. But I imagine their wage bill would still be a lot lower than any Australian and NZ teams.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Apparently the Moana Pacifica team (primarily Tongan and Samoan) would be based in NZ, but the 2nd team would be in Fiji. I guess they'd just be an extension of the Drua/Latui, but no doubt they'd need significant additional backing in order to bring back some of their European based players, which they'd need to do to be competitive. But I imagine their wage bill would still be a lot lower than any Australian and NZ teams.

It isn't just the wages in the post covid world airfares and logistics are going to be quite different

Stick one in auckland and one at parramatta

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It isn't just the wages in the post covid world airfares and logistics are going to be quite different

I think by having one in Suva, RA will not be responsible for money etc? Still imagine they should and will still play some home games in Sydney.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Sticking them in Parra is just as challenging. You either need to pay 30 odd Fijians enough to be away from their families for half the year, or recruit locally which will just hit the Tahs already slim stocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.