• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I edited that, as offensive as I find NZRUs behaviour, I shouldn’t talk to Dan in such a way.

If I didn’t see a natural synergy in the two counties working together, I would be happy for RA to turn their back on the Kiwis. but moving forward, I believe both countries need each other, and will have to look past the contempt to make that happen.

My comment deleted in sympathy.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Honestly I found it hard to follow your last comment, and assumed the multiple mentions of soccer suggested rugby should follow that model.

AFL and NRL are billions organisations, would be nice to emulate that, but not likely to happen, Australia doesn’t have the market for it.

It is this argument that i struggle to understand, yes AFL & NRL a $billion organisations, why then would you not try to emulate them, if we don't have the market for it then surely we don't have the market for the current set-up, so we might a well stop trying.
I simply cannot see how the game here can improve without a greater presence or penetration of the domestic market, and those structures that the AFL/NRL use are what clearly works in Australia, so to go against the grain and expect different results just seems crazy to me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I simply cannot see how the game here can improve without a greater presence or penetration of the domestic market, and those structures that the AFL/NRL use are what clearly works in Australia, so to go against the grain and expect different results just seems crazy to me.

It's the challenge of those being leagues that have grown over 100+ years to what they are now versus having to function immediately in a competitive market where players need to be paid and the product needing to be of a sufficient standard to be economically viable from a broadcast deal and ticket sale perspective.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan, you seem to have forgotten that NZRU tried dictating the terms of the tournament to the RA which included a reduction in Australian teams, that was publicly released by your NZRU. You can’t dismiss the comments quoted through the media, and then in the same argument use those comments to support your own narrative.

I’m glad that RA have stood up to the shit NZRU tried handing out to Australian Rugby, it was simply disrespectful to the fans. No amount of spin is going to re-write history and change how the NZRU have acted through this whole period.

Mate I was taking the piss out of RN's post, I not rewriting any history , including the comments from Hamish that said Aus were going to go it alone with a team from Japan and Fiji. I don't think NZR handled it right and have said it dozens of time on here, but this post was a reply to RN's tongue in cheek letter. You really have stop being so precious and realise that both countries have rugby boards that aren't doing things well! Or are you going to show me the alternate comp that has been promised by Hamish and Clarke!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^ NZR Chairman Impey announced early last month that SRAo would be back next year & that discussions with RA re: a follow-on TT comp were ongoing & Clan CEO recently told the Southland Chamber of Commerce that confirmation of TT is imminent. NZ franchises are actvely recruiting players on that basis.

Google super rugby aotearoa & click the "news" tab.

Don't you dear expect these posters to believe anything they have read in SMH or in another post on here WOB :D

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This is the catch, we are waiting for NZ to commit to a trans-tasman before we can tell our media outlets what they will be buying. No one is right or wrong here, but ch.9 or Fox aren't just going to pay without a structure to work towards.

And the catch is rebel (and I understand it) was that Hamish told us all RA were going ahead without NZ if they didn't agree by Sept 4th Aus was going ahead! We have heard all year that RA doesn't need NZR teams to have a successful comp. And we have any number of posters here saying same, so what's the hold up!

And by all means point out where I have got my facts wrong!

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
And the catch is rebel (and I understand it) was that Hamish told us all RA were going ahead without NZ if they didn't agree by Sept 4th Aus was going ahead! We have heard all year that RA doesn't need NZR teams to have a successful comp. And we have any number of posters here saying same, so what's the hold up!

And by all means point out where I have got my facts wrong!

They will go ahead without them if they need to, but its not an optimal situation as stated numerous times. That optimal situation applies for both parties.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
They will go ahead without them if they need to, but its not an optimal situation as stated numerous times. That optimal situation applies for both parties.

I agree that is optimal, and NZR has stated time and again that is their preferred comp from 2022, jus many on here conveniently ignore the facts! And out of interest Hamish has raised doubts whether RA can afford 5 teams.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Mate I was taking the piss out of RN's post, I not rewriting any history , including the comments from Hamish that said Aus were going to go it alone with a team from Japan and Fiji. I don't think NZR handled it right and have said it dozens of time on here, but this post was a reply to RN's tongue in cheek letter. You really have stop being so precious and realise that both countries have rugby boards that aren't doing things well! Or are you going to show me the alternate comp that has been promised by Hamish and Clarke!

It's not precious to be offended that another countries governing body wanted professional rugby in your country to be culled. I'm not simply going to ignore the content that the NZRU demonstrated towards Australian Rugby fans with the way they acted.

I'm also taking the piss out of your comments, you quickly dismissed RN reference to comments in the media, but then are all to happy to quote comments in the media when it suits the narrative you're pushing.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I agree that is optimal, and NZR has stated time and again that is their preferred comp from 2022, jus many on here conveniently ignore the facts! And out of interest Hamish has raised doubts whether RA can afford 5 teams.

No, the facts are that NZ wanted a tournament of 8-10 teams, including a PI team. Which meant room for between 2-4 Aussies teams. That's the facts Dan, stop pretending NZRU didn't act like assholes with those plans.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
No very different - RA has been incompetent (up to last six months) while NZRU have behaved in an imo all, arrogant and unethical manner that failed to respect the national body of another country be approaching state unions directly. This is not the actions of a rugby nation that is a member of world rugby let alone a nation by virtue of its position in world rugby that should lead the way in terms of acting in the spirit of the Game. Impey and Robertson should have been sacked over this imo as this has caused long term damage to long standing Anzac relationships. I am outstanded they have offered no public apology over this disgraceful behaviour as everyone knows it was unethical and wrong.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

Out of interest how many times has that been quoted on this forum now?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No very different - RA has been incompetent (up to last six months) while NZRU have behaved in an imo all, arrogant and unethical manner that failed to respect the national body of another country be approaching state unions directly. This is not the actions of a rugby nation that is a member of world rugby let alone a nation by virtue of its position in world rugby that should lead the way in terms of acting in the spirit of the Game. Impey and Robertson should have been sacked over this imo as this has caused long term damage to long standing Anzac relationships. I am outstanded they have offered no public apology over this disgraceful behaviour as everyone knows it was unethical and wrong.

:D You are taking the piss really aren't you? You have had more different stand than Hamish on the whole thing. You were all for RA going alone. and saying f*** NZ who needs you. Now you saying NZR should be leading the way? How if you don't want anything to do with them. Now we supposedly having Channel 9 saying they want a TT comp before signing off on a TV deal, so admit it you pissed off because you know RA needs NZR to survive regardless of all yours and Hamish's big talk! And I believe NZR needs Australian rugby too, and I have never said different , nor have I heard NZR say so! I have time and again said I think NZR didn't handle the early part right, bit neither have RA .
If RA has been so right why are seemingly have to backtrack? Don't even kid yourself that NZR is the only one not to great this year, Hamish has been caught out telling lies too often to be completely innocent.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No, the facts are that NZ wanted a tournament of 8-10 teams, including a PI team. Which meant room for between 2-4 Aussies teams. That's the facts Dan, stop pretending NZRU didn't act like assholes with those plans.

Yep you want the facts properly, you are right and I heard Robertson saying it (not what I read in paper) the report they commissioned said the optimum comp involved 8-10 teams (he or noone from NZR never said it had to be it) and NZR thought it should ideally include a PI team, and all teams should be financially and competitively viable . That is what I heard him say way back when Covid had stopped rugby. And I thought it was quite sensible Also for all the crap you and a few are spouting at that stage it involved cutting Aus team? How many teams did Aus have playing in Super rugby before Covid and at that stage of the year? 4! And that was before Super AU had been announced as he was on tv saying Super Aotearoa was starting. RA actually wants to add a team to the old Super comp, not NZR cutting one. Or are you going to tell me that Aus had 5 teams in super rugby at beginning of year?

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Seems to be progressing at the rate of the Somme, but looks like a TT setup edging closer.

At the bare minimum, Australian clubs anticipate the winner of Super Rugby AU will face the winner of Super Rugby Aotearoa at the end of their 12-week seasons.

But multiple sources have told the Sydney Morning Herald that Super franchises from both countries want more than just the one crossover match, before a full return to a trans-Tasman tournament in 2022.

Multiple formats have been discussed by clubs for next year, all of which would require free trans-Tasman movement being opened up.

Several formats for an extended cross-over finals are being looked at, and so too is a trans-Tasman knockout competition, which would take place after the respective domestic seasons.

One of the formats would see Super Rugby AU and Super Rugby Aotearoa played for a period before two trans-Tasman competitions are run side-by-side, with the 10 Australian and New Zealand franchises split into pools of five.

After playing a round-robin, either the top two from each group could square off in the semifinals, or the winner of each pool would simply face each other in a grand final.

It's believed Nine - who are closing in on a broadcast rights deal with Rugby Australia - are also eager for a trans-Tasman competition to take place.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...rugby-competition-looks-on-the-cards-for-2021

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Looks good doesn't it? And think this has actually been around for a few weeks, it only way to go I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.