• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
1news reporting that Moana Pasifika will be added to Super Rugby from 2022, NZ Hurld reporting that it'll be a 12-team comp with the existing ten Au & NZ franchises plus Moana & another, Aus-based, Pasifika franchise - I'm assuming it'll be Fiji-focused as Moana has backing from the Tongan & Samoan RU's. Will post links as info becomes available.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
1news reporting that Moana Pasifika will be added to Super Rugby from 2022, NZ Hurld reporting that it'll be a 12-team comp with the existing ten Au & NZ franchises plus Moana & another, Aus-based, Pasifika franchise - I'm assuming it'll be Fiji-focused as Moana has backing from the Tongan & Samoan RU's. Will post links as info becomes available.

Great, and I kind of hope it in 2 conferences? ! Aus based 1 NZ based with crossover comp at end. Whichever let's hope it not another false dawn. If it a single comp it will mean lack of home games for derby matches unless there another strange draw , as it would be a one round comp I imagine. Let's all keep finger's crossed.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
A little more detail in this RadioNZ piece, inc that the "other" Pasifika team will be Suva-based:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international...ka-fiji-on-course-to-join-super-rugby-in-2022

Bizarrely TVNZ haven't put up the vid of their Moana Pasifika story & the Hurld's article is classed as Premium Content so only subscribers can view it. I'll see if I can find the hard-copy & glean any more info.

Article seems very NZ-centric. All about decisions made by NZR. Not SANZAR. I’ll wait to see announcements from RA.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ that's why the absence of the vid is frustrating as it referenced a conf call in which RA took part. No mention was made of SANZAAR, tho.

Reactions: dru

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ no-one from NZR appeared on camera or was directly quoted so I'm thinkng someone (my money's on Moana Pasifika) leaked the gist of the convo. I'm also guessing RA are waiting to finalise their broadcast deal(s) before going public.

Edit: I do also wonder if tvnz have been leant on by NZR to kill their story, it certainly wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
South Africa have recommitted to Rugby Championship for the next 10 years, that’s an important step for RA’s broadcast rights negotiations.
Like Chuck Berry said: "You never can tell" …

… A media release from Sanzaar on Wednesday trumpeted that “Argentina, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa are committed to the Rugby Championship for the next decade”.​
That is stretching the truth because currently Sanzaar is in breach of a five-year broadcast deal it agreed before Coronavirus struck. Super Rugby was set to continue with 14 teams from 2021 but then in July the NZR announced it was going it alone. That point is vital. NZR unilaterally made a decision to create its own Super Rugby-type tournament from 2021, without consulting its partners in the joint venture.​
That move essentially rendered the new TV deal null and void. The broadcast deal also includes the Rugby Championship component and Sanzaar’s claims in Wednesday ring hollow because there is still a lot of detail to be discussed …​
Read more: dailymaverick.co.za

Reactions: dru

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Like Chuck Berry said: "You never can tell" …

… A media release from Sanzaar on Wednesday trumpeted that “Argentina, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa are committed to the Rugby Championship for the next decade”.​
That is stretching the truth because currently Sanzaar is in breach of a five-year broadcast deal it agreed before Coronavirus struck. Super Rugby was set to continue with 14 teams from 2021 but then in July the NZR announced it was going it alone. That point is vital. NZR unilaterally made a decision to create its own Super Rugby-type tournament from 2021, without consulting its partners in the joint venture.​
That move essentially rendered the new TV deal null and void. The broadcast deal also includes the Rugby Championship component and Sanzaar’s claims in Wednesday ring hollow because there is still a lot of detail to be discussed …​
Read more: dailymaverick.co.za

Yes that is correct what they say, and it reflects what I was stating a few weeks ago about NZRU having a broadcast contract for 2021, technically they don’t because they can’t deceiver what was promised. What needs to happen is all parties need to go back to the broadcasters and renegotiate those individual components of the contract and hope they don’t cut the value too much. Which is undoubtedly taking place right now, NZRU even said their planned competition for 2021 was subject to the broadcasters approval.

Not all broadcast contracts were signed through, SANZAAR still hadn’t negotiated the international broadcasters or European markets, and Australia still hadn’t locked in the broadcaster for Australia either.

My take on the SANZAAR announcement is that they’ve agreed to a MOU to stick together for 10 years, this now allows some stability in negotiating broadcast contracts and capital equity partnerships.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
:D You are taking the piss really aren't you? You have had more different stand than Hamish on the whole thing. You were all for RA going alone. and saying f*** NZ who needs you. Now you saying NZR should be leading the way? How if you don't want anything to do with them. Now we supposedly having Channel 9 saying they want a TT comp before signing off on a TV deal, so admit it you pissed off because you know RA needs NZR to survive regardless of all yours and Hamish's big talk! And I believe NZR needs Australian rugby too, and I have never said different , nor have I heard NZR say so! I have time and again said I think NZR didn't handle the early part right, bit neither have RA .
If RA has been so right why are seemingly have to backtrack? Don't even kid yourself that NZR is the only one not to great this year, Hamish has been caught out telling lies too often to be completely innocent.

Wtf - are you going down divergent paths - my comment was nzru should lead the way in terms of ethical behaviour and act in the spirit of the game - there behaviour of approaching state unions behind RA back is just unbelievable. Mate you are not reading popular view across the world that nzru are arrogant and completely out of order in this behaviour. The fact they have offered no apology for this shows how arrogant and out of touch they are with their responsibilities as leading rugby nation and rugby brand. Make no mistake Impey and Robertson by their gutter and unethical behaviour have damaged the nz rugby brand and standing of nzru In world rugby.

And Hamish telling lies total BS as show me the proof on that vs clear facts showing nzru approaching state unions

Impey and Robertson by approaching state unions have put a big question mark over their ethics and integrity

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think RA have been pretty clear from the start of this whole fiasco, they’ve stated if NZRU push ahead with a competition that requires a cull of Australian teams then Australia will go it on their own. They’ve also said that they would prefer to work with NZRU on a trans-Tasman tournament, if the kiwis are open to the discussion.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Wtf - are you going down divergent paths - my comment was nzru should lead the way in terms of ethical behaviour and act in the spirit of the game - there behaviour of approaching state unions behind RA back is just unbelievable. Mate you are not reading popular view across the world that nzru are arrogant and completely out of order in this behaviour. The fact they have offered no apology for this shows how arrogant and out of touch they are with their responsibilities as leading rugby nation and rugby brand. Make no mistake Impey and Robertson by their gutter and unethical behaviour have damaged the nz rugby brand and standing of nzru In world rugby.

And Hamish telling lies total BS as show me the proof on that vs clear facts showing nzru approaching state unions

Impey and Robertson by approaching state unions have put a big question mark over their ethics and integrity

:rolleyes: If you can't see the porkies I not interested anymore, you don't like NZ rugby fullstop, you have posted that and that ok, let's just leave it at that. I understand you not interested in anything but Australian rugby (and you have stated that) so you obviously will just ignore anything that doesn't suit you argument, and mate that your prerogative.
Anyway regardless I am very hopeful of that the boys have got it all sorted and a full TT comp will take place, with a couple of PI teams if they can get the money and players to compete. If so everyone will get what they wanted, RA will have an extra super team ;) , and NZR will get the PI teams they thought were so important.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
:rolleyes: If you can't see the porkies I not interested anymore, you don't like NZ rugby fullstop, you have posted that and that ok, let's just leave it at that. I understand you not interested in anything but Australian rugby (and you have stated that) so you obviously will just ignore anything that doesn't suit you argument, and mate that your prerogative.
Anyway regardless I am very hopeful of that the boys have got it all sorted and a full TT comp will take place, with a couple of PI teams if they can get the money and players to compete. If so everyone will get what they wanted, RA will have an extra super team ;) , and NZR will get the PI teams they thought were so important.

No I don't like NZRU full stop for there behaviour. You choose what you want to believe and conveniently don't answer the hard questions (ie. acknowledging going behind RA and approaching State Unions was 'wrong and unethical'). I have been clear I would support a TT or Asia Pacific competition if could be run by parties without conflicted interests and moreso on a partnership model. I am anti NZRU for sure....and if you read my posts I was up till 6 months ago anti RA (competence rather then ethics).....

And FWIW I watch religiously six nations, sevens (all games) and european club rugby (UK and french comps) from time to time. I use to once upon a time watch local derbies in super rugby for SA and NZ....what changed....it became too much a competition run by self interests (SA for expansion crap and 6th side) and NZRU being a pack of arseholes and pushing their agenda for a number of years to detriment of growth of game in Asia Pacific imho. Yeh hence that has translated into I don't support kiwi rugby until NZRU stop behaving like a pack of arseholes and/or private equity/third party steps in to create a TT and/or Asia Pacific competition which is good for the game rather than petty self interests of disfunctional national unions (insert NZRU, RA as you see fit).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No I don't like NZRU full stop for there behaviour. You choose what you want to believe and conveniently don't answer the hard questions (ie. acknowledging going behind RA and approaching State Unions was 'wrong and unethical'). I have been clear I would support a TT or Asia Pacific competition if could be run by parties without conflicted interests and moreso on a partnership model. I am anti NZRU for sure..and if you read my posts I was up till 6 months ago anti RA (competence rather then ethics)...

And FWIW I watch religiously six nations, sevens (all games) and european club rugby (UK and french comps) from time to time. I use to once upon a time watch local derbies in super rugby for SA and NZ..what changed..it became too much a competition run by self interests (SA for expansion crap and 6th side) and NZRU being a pack of arseholes and pushing their agenda for a number of years to detriment of growth of game in Asia Pacific imho. Yeh hence that has translated into I don't support kiwi rugby until NZRU stop behaving like a pack of arseholes and/or private equity/third party steps in to create a TT and/or Asia Pacific competition which is good for the game rather than petty self interests of disfunctional national unions (insert NZRU, RA as you see fit).

Well I have said I think NZR were wrong. I also remember you were against playing NZ teams unless they let ABs play for Aus teams and if they didn't want it you wanted to go alone. I also agree any TT comp should be run by another party, and you seem to conveniently ignore that is exactly what Robertson(NZRU) said they wanted, were trying to gauge ineerest and then get board to run it (and I heard him say that when it was talked about first on NZ tv). I will always argue it's not up to anyone else to tell NZR or RA who they have to select for national team and if they choose not to pick someone who plays for Aus or NZ super team, it their prerogative. I have not refused to answered any of your questions, in fact have been asked not to repeat what I have told you time and again. Remember it was NZR that wanted PI teams in Super rugby and were panned for it on here? But anyway if you have any questions you want answered I will answer them but perhaps send them to me on private message as we have had posts saying they don't want this to go on!
Also interesting and pleased you do actually watch European rugby etc, as you claimed to only watch Aussie games earlier in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.