• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
A couple of random thoughts,

1) Melbourne is the last team in and the weakest and IMO the team to be cut if one must go. (and reading this thread that is the popular opinion). But in its favor is its time zone and the size of the sport loving city and potential market.

2) The whole process would be so much easier if NZ were also giving up a team.

3) So what about creating MELBOURNE-WAIKATO (Chiefs) and playing this team in NZ conference. So basically a NZ/AU/PI Melbourne based team (perhaps a few home games played back home or even an odd one played in Hobart)

4) SA still have to give up 2 teams and take in the Jaquares to make 5. Sunwolves play in the AU conference.

This way NZ give up a team, but not really as is just relocating. The city of Melbourne continue to have a Super rugby presence.

The Force Survive.
Ridiculous

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
We can't catch a break over here in the west. Our press today has pretty much just said the force are done. Even after the aru said it's between the force and the rebels. If the press win in Australia the force are done for

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
This thread moves too quickly :( so I apologise if this has already been said.........

It's a pretty sad state of affairs, but

Kudos to whoever it was that negotiated the fewer teams/same Foxsports money going forward.

That's a pretty decent outcome given what Foxsports could have easily done.

I would like to see relegation/promotion in place so that the Reds were forced to be good instead of the QRU just fucking things up knowing that they are untouchable, and that these 5 teams still existed, but I'm at a loss as to how it would work long term.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
By the way, the transplant method is tried and proven for the AFL

Well, it was successful in the sense that the teams moved and developed new fans.

They largely didn't keep the old ones, and TBH I think they didn't retain more than 1/3 of their players or staff in the move anyway.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Ideas about saving one of the teams just aren't feasible. Much more likely is that assuming the Force get culled this week, the Rebels will follow in a few years (or at least they'll merge with the Brumbies). The broadcast deal ends in 2020 and Japan's RWC ends prior to that. The chances of Argentina, Japan or a 4th Aussie side still existing within Super Rugby after that deal expires are remote at best. Whether that means a return to the original Super 12 or abandonment of the concept altogether and return to domestic competitions is what's on the agenda in the interim.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
We can't catch a break over here in the west. Our press today has pretty much just said the force are done. Even after the aru said it's between the force and the rebels. If the press win in Australia the force are done for

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

I think its a sad day for rugby in Australia, I feel for all the Force family and fans...

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well, it was successful in the sense that the teams moved and developed new fans.

They largely didn't keep the old ones, and TBH I think they didn't retain more than 1/3 of their players or staff in the move anyway.
I still know South Melbourne supporters to this day

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ideas about saving one of the teams just aren't feasible. Much more likely is that assuming the Force get culled this week, the Rebels will follow in a few years (or at least they'll merge with the Brumbies). The broadcast deal ends in 2020 and Japan's RWC ends prior to that. The chances of Argentina, Japan or a 4th Aussie side still existing within Super Rugby after that deal expires are remote at best. Whether that means a return to the original Super 12 or abandonment of the concept altogether and return to domestic competitions is what's on the agenda in the interim.

This is baseless. There'll be a new broadcast deal and if it follows the trend of every other broadcast deal, it will be worth more than the one before.

What else can Foxtel do to beat Netflix outside of purchasing sporting content?

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
This is baseless. There'll be a new broadcast deal and if it follows the trend of every other broadcast deal, it will be worth more than the one before.

What else can Foxtel do to beat Netflix outside of purchasing sporting content?

There'll be a deal of some description. But the same issues that persist now with 18 teams will persist with 15 teams - unless the 2 new international sides and the 4th Aussie side can become competitive enough to sustain themselves financially and challenge the best teams, they just won't exist beyond the next few years. There's really no way around that.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
There was a fair bit of a chat in the press conference about how 15 teams is just an interim solution and we'll reassess from 2021 onwards. They're certainly more than aware that a further reduction is the way it's going (or alternatively abandonment of the concept altogether) - just preparing for how to deal with that.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It's on.

Western Force launch legal action in fight over Super Rugby future
Read more:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-over-super-rugby-future-20170410-gvhn41.html

I said in the Force thread a week ago that they wouldnt go quitely. This whole transparent consultation is just a ruse.

Jesus we need to figure this out quickly and without lawyers - the ARU can't afford a huge legal fee and they can't afford to bail out any franchises who have just paid one either.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
There was a fair bit of a chat in the press conference about how 15 teams is just an interim solution and we'll reassess from 2021 onwards. They're certainly more than aware that a further reduction is the way it's going (or alternatively abandonment of the concept altogether) - just preparing for how to deal with that.

If you're going to cite the presser it's worth saying that it was said 'emphatically' that they would not reduce bellow 4 teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.