• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
whats the latest on all the dodginess behind closed doors at the brumbies??

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

The matter was referred to the Federal Police who have in turn passed it onto ASIC (Australian Securities and Investment Commission) for investigation.

For all to be transparent it needs to be resolved prior to the decision to cut a team. Incredibly unfair to cut a team when one is under an investigation that could impact its future viability and goes to the integrity of how it has been operated. The outcome of any investigation could identify limits to the Brumbies ability to operate as going concern and governance issues.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...-to-asic-by-act-policing-20161108-gsl1wd.html

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Mark Ella is a regular windbag for the Oz...
I don't read the Oz, so I ask faithfully: is he a windbag because he
a) writes NSW centric stuff
b) writes anti- Brumbies stuff
c) writes stuff with a revisionist halcyon eye
d) writes crap?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't read the Oz, so I ask faithfully: is he a windbag because he
a) writes NSW centric stuff
b) writes anti- Brumbies stuff
c) writes stuff with a revisionist halcyon eye
d) writes crap?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

you missed e) all of the above

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
This is where it is interesting. If the Rebels are cut, they'll sue and the Forcd breathe a sigh of relief. If the Force are cut, we'll sue for breach of the Alliance Agreement and I'd bet my right nut that Cox will sue for being embroiled in this saga. Better to just be sued once if you ask me.

Or use the money from the Own The Force campaign to just buy the c#$t out and save all lawsuits altogether !

Upthenuts

Dave Cowper (27)
A piss poor force schedule makes a piss poor Bulls schedule OK?

I reiterate, its almost like someone in SANZAAR wanted a particularly shite schedule in 2017.
and they made the blues play soo many kiwi teams, sanazars are #%^}ers

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
It was a base grant of $5.7million, with the ARU reporting that would be receiving an extra $1.8 on top of that for additional costs in 2016.

When you break down the grants and funding its gets even more murky, whilst the ARU now claims Super Rugby grants to all teams are $33million, up $8million from 2016 it doesn't mention that the Western Force player wages have been shifted to the ARU's own player costs($3.6million). So, does this mean the grants to the Super Rugby teams have increased by $8million even with one less team to grant now that the ARU have assumed the costs of the Force into their own? If it does, it begs the question where has the money gone, whilst the QRU reported an increase in grants from $5.7 to $7.8million that doesn't account for all the funding(see below).

$33million/4 teams = $8.2million..

Here is another little footnote in the ARU annual report, it states Super Rugby team costs of $8.1m, an increase of $4.8m(predominantly travel costs).

Ok so these figures may be more like it:
These are my back of the envelope figures, and even without the optimistic match day walkins they would still break even:
Expenses:
Player payments $5m
Off field staff $3m
Match operations, marketing and services $2 m
= $10 m
Revenues:
Memberships 10000 x $200 ave = $2 m
Sponsors let's say $2.5 m
ARU $5.7 + 1.8 m
=$12 m excluding Match day revenue walkins

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
The 2015 NZRU annual report (possibly NSFW in Australia as it contains images of R. McCaw).

As the opening infographic outlines, they provided almost 10 million in provincial grants in 2015. There's nothing on the franchises (that I can see, anyway), but I believe they're largely self sustaining as the NZRU foots all the wages for players and coaches. The franchises themselves basically look after logistics and game-day events.

As for how much money they have in the bank, cash reserves "remained strong at $59.1 million, slightly down on the previous year, which is due more to timing of receipt of one-off grants in 2014" (pg 19).

EDIT: There's some numbers thrown around on page 73 under "28 TRANSACTIONS WITH RELATED PARTIES: PROVINCIAL UNIONS AND SUPER RUGBY ENTITIES" which may mean something to those more interested than I in accounting wordyness.

What cunningly clever New Zealanders they are

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
yes, another interesting article from Wayne Smith.
Seems to confirm what I thought about the strength of the WF alliance agreement.
I would say that the Rebels and the WF are on the same footing contractually, and even more so if the WF are able to action their option to buy back their licence.
The Brumbies are looking more and more like a bobbing ball with little ability to determine their own destiny?
Sending Bill Pulver to do any type of negotiating would surely not be an option that Clyne would consider. He seems to simply agree with the last person he spoke to.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Wayne Smith is 100% correct.

The Brumbies should be the ones to go, or merge.
100% agree. On what basis were they excluded from the cull?
Can anyone provide a rational reason for them not being culled that excludes "they won two championships a long time ago or larkham played there"?
Have the rebels/brumbies play two games a year there. Pre season there and throw Canberra a test a year against one of the weaker teams.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Regarding the matter of the alliance agreement - I'll be surprised if it holds up. The broadcasters will likely be required to sign a new broadcast agreement given there is a material change to the previous one (number of games and teams etc). All we know is they have said they will provide the same monetary payments. Yes they could amend the existing agreemend but it's a substantial amendment and fairy easy to justify a new one if it means avoiding legal headaches from
The force.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I'ts a train wreck right across Australian Rugby Mudskipper, and the Brumbies have lost just as much money as the Western Force have over the last 5 years, the only difference is one had $11million from the sale of land to keep the creditors at bay.

They invested it in their future and oaid for it themselves tgats a massive difference. The force sold their IP and name to the ARU for cash investments... Brumbies didnt

Status
Not open for further replies.