• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If Twiggy is really interested in rugby it has taken him a long time to show it. Unless I have missed something along the way??
I think most would be just happy a man of twiggy.s wealth and status (well connected and respected) is interested in rugby and supporting rugby now is all that should matter...I don't think Australian rugby should be doing anything but encouraging this sort of support. Let's just welcome any sort of support like this as rugby can only be stronger with a name like twiggy behind it.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
There is a connection to Twiggy's family with that of Classic Wallaby Jon White. I know this because his brother is my uncle and I have heard them talking about Twiggy's family, I can't remember the actual connection, but there is one, of that I am sure.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
1. Since the Western Force went to the system of individual Sponsorship for Jerseys after the loss of Emirates as Naming Sponsor. FMG has sponsored Matt Hodgsons Jersey.

2. A quick check of Wikipedia showed Andrew Forrest attended Hale School in year 11 and 12 in 1978 and 1979.

A Forrest was a member of the Hale School First Fifteen in 1979.

That's all info from a Force fan that he wanted to pass on to all.

You miss read my question.

Parker was a cricket nut and wanted cricket for his network.

Lowy was beyond a soccer nut and the then Soccer Australia and Fed Gov asked him to take over.

Is Twiggy in this class of rugby supporter or a very interested fan.

His support is very very very very much appreciated but what level is it at is my question i.e. a Packer / Lowy level or some levels down from this.

Because he has the funds, business connections, and political connections to create rugby's own A-League type national domestic competition.

Guess we will find out soon enough.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
You miss read my question.

Parker was a cricket nut and wanted cricket for his network.

Lowy was beyond a soccer nut and the then Soccer Australia and Fed Gov asked him to take over.

Is Twiggy in this class of rugby supporter or a very interested fan.

His support is very very very very much appreciated but what level is it at is my question i.e. a Packer / Lowy level or some levels down from this.

Because he has the funds, business connections, and political connections to create rugby's own A-League type national domestic competition.

Guess we will find out soon enough.

He's quite obviously not at Packer/Lowy level yet.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think most would be just happy a man of twiggy.s wealth and status (well connected and respected) is interested in rugby and supporting rugby now is all that should matter.I don't think Australian rugby should be doing anything but encouraging this sort of support. Let's just welcome any sort of support like this as rugby can only be stronger with a name like twiggy behind it.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Well, yes, of course. But I will wait and see before getting all excited. I hae me doots, frankly.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Hopefully Twiggy is in it for the right reasons and not just his latest media publicity splash. Wealthy benefactors have helped soccer and professional cycling immensely in recent years, and while it's not a sustainable business model, a shot of capital and a shake-up of the rugby administration might be a good dose of medicine.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Hopefully Twiggy is in it for the right reasons and not just his latest media publicity splash. Wealthy benefactors have helped soccer and professional cycling immensely in recent years, and while it's not a sustainable business model, a shot of capital and a shake-up of the rugby administration might be a good dose of medicine.

Agree and this is part of a Fin Review last week and goes directly to your point.

http://www.afr.com/real-estate/hk-firm-jiayuan-pledges-300m-for-aleague-stadium-20170714-gxb6e8

Hong Kong-listed real estate company Jiayuan has committed to spending $300 million on a purpose-built football stadium in southern Sydney if the new Southern Expansion club wins a place in the A-League.

The group, which already holds a stake in Australia's first ASX-listed Chinese property company Boyuan, said it would fully fund the club being spearheaded by football commentators Les Murray and Craig Foster and former NSW PCYC chief executive Chris Gardiner.

"Southern's capital investments will be guaranteed by the Jiayuan Group, its subsidiary operations in Australia and other local project partners," a Jiayuan spokesman told AFR Weekend.

"Investment will be sustained by the Group's commitment to the future of its local expansion strategy. They will be working with various local partners and communities to realise this."

The trio launched the Southern Expansion campaign in March to deliver new professional football clubs for the southern region of Sydney, covering the St George, Sutherland and the South Coast football communities

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Is his background really important, if he wants to help then that should be enough.

I dont think Gina Reinhardt is a known swimming person but Hancock Prospecting spent heaps on swimming. Was Packer a cricketer?

Having successful people from outside the system who want to help is what is needed. He will not have mates he feels he needs to look after.

His background is important in the sense it helps educate his motives and long term commitment.

The Rebels will tell you having a billionaire who just wants to help at the helm doesn't always work.

Like plenty of others here I'm a bit suss that he's waited until the last game to make a public statement with seemingly little to lose on his behalf.

I hope it works out though. Can't sell the Force, can't sell the Rebels. Swing the axe elsewhere.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
His background is important in the sense it helps educate his motives and long term commitment.

The Rebels will tell you having a billionaire who just wants to help at the helm doesn't always work.

Like plenty of others here I'm a bit suss that he's waited until the last game to make a public statement with seemingly little to lose on his behalf.

I hope it works out though. Can't sell the Force, can't sell the Rebels. Swing the axe elsewhere.

If he's willing to come on board and fund the Force (which is probably the best case scenario) then the ARU should take it. They should also allow the Force to recruit anyone they want be it the best available local talent or internationally. Having a successful Force is probably more important than providing depth at this point in time. Hell, if the Rebels can sort it I'd be happy for them to do likewise.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
If he's willing to come on board and fund the Force (which is probably the best case scenario) then the ARU should take it. They should also allow the Force to recruit anyone they want be it the best available local talent or internationally. Having a successful Force is probably more important than providing depth at this point in time. Hell, if the Rebels can sort it I'd be happy for them to do likewise.

Agree, sure let them spend there money. If it's not the ARU's and the players can get paid some good coin from private backers than why not? The ARU back the Tahs and Reds with player top ups.

If Cox or Twiggy have the freedom to help the Rebels/Force sign the best available players maybe it will stop the player exodus thats taking place.

God we all know the Rebels don't want to loose McMahon but we can't offer close to Japan because we would be using 1/5th the Salary cap on one player.

Look at Toulon, hardly a French player in sight but the onfield success has built a massive fan following with great atmosphere at all games (What all Australian teams lack)

B

BLR

Look at Toulon, hardly a French player in sight but the onfield success has built a massive fan following with great atmosphere at all games (What all Australian teams lack)

I think that's a European thing, not really a Toulon thing. International matches over there are another level IMO.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Definitely surprising, but at the same time, not really surprising, when a small number of us Scots were outsinging and outchanting the Aussies up in Sydney.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Definitely surprising, but at the same time, not really surprising, when a small number of us Scots were outsinging and outchanting the Aussies up in Sydney.

It does have its advantages.

On the plus side, it meant my 4 month old daughter slept through the whole game and my wife and I could enjoy watch the game.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
There is a connection to Twiggy's family with that of Classic Wallaby Jon White. I know this because his brother is my uncle and I have heard them talking about Twiggy's family, I can't remember the actual connection, but there is one, of that I am sure.
Is your uncle's name Bob?

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Perhaps this comment is for the unpopular opinion thread, but maybe we should do away with Super Rugby altogether. The major difference between the League, AFL comp and the rugby comp is that the former 2 focus on domestic competitions. Maybe all super rugby players should go back to SS (which would need to be expanded to other states) and every weekend we have say 10 domestic rugby games. There could be a rugby state of origin series and say some international games each year.
I know I prefer watching SS and even schoolboy rugby to Super Rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Perhaps this comment is for the unpopular opinion thread, but maybe we should do away with Super Rugby altogether. The major difference between the League, AFL comp and the rugby comp is that the former 2 focus on domestic competitions. Maybe all super rugby players should go back to SS (which would need to be expanded to other states) and every weekend we have say 10 domestic rugby games. There could be a rugby state of origin series and say some international games each year.

You obviously haven't read all 377 pages ... I don't think the idea would be unpopular.

I'm not sure whether expansion of the SS is the right idea or not. It is definitely inline with how the AFL expansion has occurred but it would have to be very quickly sped up to get to a national footprint. I don't think you would also be able to have 12 teams from metro Sydney which either means some teams being moved, combined or out of the competition.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

The major problem is that there'd be no broadcasting revenue associated with this transition which means we'd only be able to pay the players peanuts which means almost every Super rugby player in the country would go off shore.

In 15 years time following that path may represent 10 steps forward from where we are now, but we'd need to take about 20 steps backwards in the short-term to pull it off.

This is the progression I see Australian Rugby heading in. No one is brave enough to make the call (it'd be career suicide) but we'll slowly peter out until the ARU files for bankruptcy in 2021/2022.

There'll then be a total rebuild of the game in which it'll essentially be semi-professional, much like the A-Leagues revitalization, whereby a 15-20 team national competition will emerge from the various club scenes around the country.

The players will be on $20k each per year, but slowly interest in the competition will build (because at the end of the day, no one really cares about the standard of play, its about the product) and Australian Rugby will climb out of its self made ditch.

I wouldn't mind the NSWRU / QRU / SRU etc. going bankrupt in the process because lord knows they're also a cancer on the game.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Using the Shute Shield as a base would necessitate the removal of at least 4 teams, preferably 5 or 6.

Given that you'd want at most a 12-14 team model, and you probably want 3 Queensland teams, the Brumbies, the Rebels and the Force, and that's before you even consider a side based outside Metro Sydney, whether it be Newcastle, a dedicated Country side, or somewhere else (I'm not familiar enough with NSW geography, whether it would be regular Population or Rugby Demographics).

Status
Not open for further replies.