• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

I am not too sure I would read too much into any promises by this Twiggy character, did he bail the Force out last time they ran out of money?
And don't get me wrong I wanted Force to stay, but let's not get carried away by someone who is jumping up and down as water is already over the guardrails of a sinking ship!

Sorry where was the last time. The Force have been the least bailed out team in OZ and we had to sell our IP/licence to get the support whereas other teams have just had cash handed over hand over fist by the ARU.

Twiggy has been a supporter of the Force for a long time through jumper sponsorship and Future Force Foundation. As with anything you would like to see an organisation/team be able to stand on it's own two feet rather than relying on a external benefactor pumping in millions. Maybe he could have done more earlier but the ARU had plenty of time to consider his offer that the Force would not be of any financial burden to the ARU but they rejected his offer because they had made their minds up from the original time they announced a decision on who would be cut was 48-72 hours away.

T

TOCC

I'm confused re what happens to force players. If the force are gone in 2018 and force players remain contracted to ARU but other four Super Rugby teams are fully rostered then force players have no Super Rugby playtime and instead play club footy hoping cheika still considers them for wallabies selection. The other option is to go OS. This is a nightmare scenario but I don't know where force players esp wallaby reps eg coleman, DHP fit into the new landscape.

ARU are paying for all contracted Force players, they've stated that if those players wish to relocate to another Super Rugby their contract will be honoured, if they want a release to go overseas they can receive that and if they don't want to move from Perth the ARU will just pay out their contract.

If it proceeds, i don't know how this will impact on the salary cap of other teams if players were to join and they are suddenly over the limit. To be honest, the ARU probably haven't even thought this far ahead.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Is there any chance Super 15 still exists when the broadcast deal ends?

Best case scenario I can envisage is the Rebels, Japan and Argentina getting removed, going back to the original Super 12. But more likely seems to be the concept just ends. It's almost dead already. Looks like we have 2 more years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Thanks. Hopefully the legal stuff will be over quickly but twiggy has deep pockets and will go down swinging.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
I think the legal battle will drag out for quite a while.

I doubt the ARU will wait for it to conclude though. The arbitration result gives them all they need to move forward from what I understand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I think the legal battle will drag out for quite a while.

I doubt the ARU will wait for it to conclude though. The arbitration result gives them all they need to move forward from what I understand.

move forward to what? not a trick question. Planning, bookings, couldn't they do all that before?
I agree on the legal battle dragging out, where as before the WF was trying to expediate the process, I doubt that is the plan now?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
move forward to what? not a trick question. Planning, bookings, couldn't they do all that before?
I agree on the legal battle dragging out, where as before the WF was trying to expediate the process, I doubt that is the plan now?
Relocating and recontracting players.

Laying off or relocating WF staff currently on the ARU payroll.

I think the WF still need to try and get any legal action moving as soon as possible. The longer it takes the less of a club they will have to save.

The players will clearly be devastated but I don't think they will put their lives on hold hoping for a miracle.

Maybe those that sign new contracts will have a get out clause should the Force remain in the comp?

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)

The worst case scenario for the ARU is they move quicly to disassemble the force but the legal challenge wins ( months later) and the force are reinstated. Another logistical and PR nightmare for ARU who have to then fix up the mess once again.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)

I think the WF still need to try and get any legal action moving as soon as possible. The longer it takes the less of a club they will have to save.

The players will clearly be devastated but I don't think they will put their lives on hold hoping for a miracle.

Maybe those that sign new contracts will have a get out clause should the Force remain in the comp?

I don't think it can happen that easily, that is exactly what the WF will be endeavouring to stop. Unless their argument is crap or they can't afford the best legal advice in Aust, they will then probably succeed in stopping this.

Also I would think the players are just as pissed at the ARU and the injustice of the situation, they will probably sit tight for some time especially as their future income is guaranteed.
I wonder if RUPA will do anything? or are they just all talk.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
The worst case scenario for the ARU is they move quicly to disassemble the force but the legal challenge wins ( months later) and the force are reinstated. Another logistical and PR nightmare for ARU who have to then fix up the mess once again.

and pay the legal costs!

T

TOCC

If the ARU had half a brain, when Twiggy offered to guarantee the Force, and the Rebels found a pot of gold with the Victorian Government.. The ARU should have approached Twiggy, agreed to cease the culling of the Force and instead joined forces to take the case to SANZAAR and oppose the cull.

The legal bill across Australian rugby at the moment must be astronomical, imagine if that were actually put to a good purpose.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think it can happen that easily, that is exactly what the WF will be endeavouring to stop. Unless their argument is crap or they can't afford the best legal advice in Aust, they will then probably succeed in stopping this.

Also I would think the players are just as pissed at the ARU and the injustice of the situation, they will probably sit tight for some time especially as their future income is guaranteed.
I wonder if RUPA will do anything? or are they just all talk.

The ARU are going to begin the process tomorrow to start relocating or releasing the Force players from their contracts.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The Brumbies have mostly filled their roster.... apparently they only have two open backline positions.

The ARU are going to have to relax the salary cap to allow the Reds to sign any of the Force's stars.
I imagine they'll have to relax both salary cap and squad sizes, if they're pulling in the same money from the broadcast deal then my understanding of the cba means they'll still need to be spending the same amount on players. Assuming they weren't massively overspending in players across the franchises (which is entirely possible) the only way that's going to happen is with both salary cap and squad sizes relaxed.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's unlikely that it will take long for a judgment once the case gets started. As I understand from the reports, the likely action in the Supreme Court of NSW will be a breach of contract. The law is pretty settled there.

There may be some initial skirmishes about discovery of information relating to the Alliance and how (and why) that was entered into.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yes as much as i wish them sucess, i think a lot of the bullisnness and bravado coming from both management and force fans and twiggy is wishful thinking. They were confident the agreement would save them. It didnt. In the long term they may win a reprieve but the current squad will be long scattered - unfortunately. I suspect the relocation notices were sent last week.

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
I assume there is also a question as to whether they would have an action against SANZAAR who ultimately bcontrolbthe comp, via a vis the ARU

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
A thought occurred t me this afternoon, when Twiggy pledged to do what it takes to keep the Force in Super Rugby was he referring to the actual team or to Rugby in general?

Could the financially struggling ARU convince Twiggy to buy the Rebels at an over valued price and move them to Perth and rename them as the Force?

Pick a best of team from both squads and have a ready to win team in Perth and the ARU save face by being able blame the former CEO and also Twiggy for getting rid of the Rebels.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)

Great article. I have a soft spot for the Force, the first Super Rugby match I went to was Force v Sharks at Subi, I used to also enjoy the 9:30 EST Friday matches from Perth which was a good time zone.

It is a short term money decision, that can't be a positive for long term of Aussie Rugby.

I hope the Force can win any future legal battle.

#strongerasfive

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
ARU are paying for all contracted Force players, they've stated that if those players wish to relocate to another Super Rugby their contract will be honoured, if they want a release to go overseas they can receive that and if they don't want to move from Perth the ARU will just pay out their contract.

If it proceeds, i don't know how this will impact on the salary cap of other teams if players were to join and they are suddenly over the limit. To be honest, the ARU probably haven't even thought this far ahead.

Yes they have probably thought they don't need to think about it as will only take them 48 to 72 hours to figure it out....:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.