• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
^^^^ which is why I said some form of protest would be good to see. The game will be televised worldwide, so I think there is ample opportunity to embarrass the ARU while also showing support for the Wallabies.

Just imagine there was a virtually empty stadium (say 5000 mostly South African fans), and 15,000 protesting Force fans outside the stadium cheering for the Wallabies while watching on big screens. That would truly embarrass the ARU, hit them financially, and give them no room to swing it as 'see look, there just isn't enough support for the game here.'

dru

Tim Horan (67)
McGowan would be politically naiive in the extreme to continue "early" payment to the ARU. Let's see how financially successful Bled #1 is then discuss who owes who with regard to rugby in Perth.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just imagine there was a virtually empty stadium (say 5000 mostly South African fans), and 15,000 protesting Force fans outside the stadium cheering for the Wallabies while watching on a big screen. That would truly embarrass the ARU, hit them financially, and give them no room to swing it as 'see look, there just isn't enough support for the game here.'
Just read in Sunday telegraph that ARU turned down twiggy forrests guarantee for the force to be debt free.

Wow mind boggles....glad I am not a wa force man as I am angry enough at the way the ARU has behaved so can only imagine how ropeable force fans must be with this whole sordid business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Just read in Sunday telegraph that ARU turned down twiggy forrests guarantee for the force to be debt free.

Wow mind boggles..glad I am not a wa force man as I am angry enough at the way the ARU has behaved so can only imagine how ropeable force fans must be with this whole sordid business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ludicrously isn't it.. Billionaire offers to guarantee a Super Rugby teams finances and ARU says no..

It's almost as though they were so blinkered in their decision making and he made their minds up that they refused to acknowledge all these incredible reasons to retain the team.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Ludicrously isn't it.. Billionaire offers to guarantee a Super Rugby teams finances and ARU says no..

It's almost as though they were so blinkered in their decision making and he made their minds up that they refused to acknowledge all these incredible reasons to retain the team.

It was clearly Clyne and his longtime association and loyalty to Vic rugby. He should not have been involved in the process due to this bias.

IMO it is no surprise that that Pulver, Todd Day and Rob Clarke have all resigned and Clyne remains, apparently forcing Pulver to stay on until this saga was over, clearly Pulver wanted out some months ago.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
WA Govt had agreed to pay $5millon to host a Bledisloe at the new Perth Stadium in 2019, deal is now lookng precarious. WA Govt refusing to make the payments early as requested by the ARU.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...u/news-story/16a9799fb57788f1126109634b06becf

FRom the same article.

Deputy Premier Roger Cook, who is a foundation member of the Western Force, said he would “boycott” rugby.​
“I’ll never go to another Wallabies game for the rest of my life as a result of this decision. I’ve decided I’m going back to rugby league now in WA because the NRL is clearly supporting WA much more than the ARU is,” he said.​

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It was clearly Clyne and his longtime association and loyalty to Vic rugby. He should not have been involved in the process due to this bias.

IMO it is no surprise that that Pulver, Todd Day and Rob Clarke have all resigned and Clyne remains, apparently forcing Pulver to stay on until this saga was over, clearly Pulver wanted out some months ago.

I suspect they all think the same: which is part of the problem.
I received some mail to the effect that NZ hated playing in WA - I doubted it because I couldnt see why we would be doing something to please the NZRU - then I came to my senses: this is the ARU!
Noted cynic, skeptic and pessimist that I am I have a bad feeling about the almost instantaneous move of league in pouncing on the ARU's error.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I suspect they all think the same: which is part of the problem.
I received some mail to the effect that NZ hated playing in WA - I doubted it because I couldnt see why we would be doing something to please the NZRU - then I came to my senses: this is the ARU!
Noted cynic, skeptic and pessimist that I am I have a bad feeling about the almost instantaneous move of league in pouncing on the ARU's error.

Yes I think Rob Clarke did, though he couldn't get out quick enough when it started to heat up.
Not sure about Pulver and Day but they seem to be just followers easily bullied by the likes of Clyne.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
FRom the same article.

Deputy Premier Roger Cook, who is a foundation member of the Western Force, said he would “boycott” rugby.​
“I’ll never go to another Wallabies game for the rest of my life as a result of this decision. I’ve decided I’m going back to rugby league now in WA because the NRL is clearly supporting WA much more than the ARU is,” he said.​
Clearly he has a short memory. Rugby League cut the Perth team too and has made no serious signs of bringing it back in 20 years.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Let us not forget the Western Reds.

I can't remember all the details of the Western Reds, but part of the re unification of League left them out.
Also I remember something about the Reds being forced to pay the airfares for all teams coming over, an impossible ask financially.
Don't remember the details but I do remember the great enthusiasm for the team.
BTW the Rabbito's play one game over here every year to a packed stadium.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

It just makes me almost despise the ARU as we finally have a billionaire prepared to guarantee the financial sustainability of a OZ professional rugby team and it is turned down. Since when has ever Australia's rugby finances been in a position to do that!!! - especially when most of us for years have had what we thought was just unrealistic pipe dreams to have a rich benefactor (read billionaire) involved in our game! This sort of offer is never "too late"- just total BS.

It seems the ARU wants to play the we know best....and yet with every dumb decision they make rugby continues to bleed. I would be the first to sign a petition for the removal of all remaining ARU executive and board members as they are a disgrace and stain on this code that will never have a hope of recovering from until they are removed - reputation wise there has been so much damage to their credibility and reputation (and disengagement of Australia rugby fraternity and supporters) through their actions I can't see the ARU ever recover from this. They are the only ones who should be cut and distanced from being involved in professional rugby.

I seriously hope WA Rugby can find something to win their appeal and this provides the final nail in the coffin for the removal of the ARU and replacement with something better - as we deserve something better than what we have been offered by the ARU.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I can absolutely assure you that an NRL team starting in Perth anytime will garner huge support especially after what has just happened. Many people and most rugby people are just not interested in AFL or soccer.
The support the annual NRL game in Perth has is clear evidence that there is a big market and that was before all the rugby union followers were cast aside by Clyne.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
It just makes me almost despise the ARU as we finally have a billionaire prepared to guarantee the financial sustainability of a OZ professional rugby team and it is turned down. Since when has ever Australia's rugby finances been in a position to do that!!! - especially when most of us for years have had what we thought was just unrealistic pipe dreams to have a rich benefactor (read billionaire) involved in our game! This sort of offer is never "too late"- just total BS.

It seems the ARU wants to play the we know best..and yet with every dumb decision they make rugby continues to bleed. I would be the first to sign a petition for the removal of all remaining ARU executive and board members as they are a disgrace and stain on this code that will never have a hope of recovering from until they are removed - reputation wise there has been so much damage to their credibility and reputation (and disengagement of Australia rugby fraternity and supporters) through their actions I can't see the ARU ever recover from this. They are the only ones who should be cut and distanced from being involved in professional rugby.

I seriously hope WA Rugby can find something to win their appeal and this provides the final nail in the coffin for the removal of the ARU and replacement with something better - as we deserve something better than what we have been offered by the ARU.

Its like kicking an own goal twice, not only now have you not got a billionaire supporter but he is now gunning for you.
Good job Clyne.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Once the Western Force licence is cancelled, doesn't that make the current "Force" players in the Wallabies squad ineligible to be in the national team, or is it only players returning from overseas that need to be contracted to an Australian Super Rugby franchise?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Killer: you have read the series of posts when Clyne came down to the Wankers, sorry, Quins club dinner or whatever it was and basically made it sound like we were gone?

I reckon Clyne just wanted a team gone at whatever cost: and his glee was at the fact that he wouldn't have to resign from the well paid role as he had promised to do ~ 1 month after the 48-72 hour notice.

Of course, should facts beyond: he played a handful of times at the most wanker filled club in Victoria emerge, I'll be happy to add nepotistic to the list of non-flattering but accurate descriptions.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.