• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Haven't they already cancelled the license? Or will this be grandfathered back?

As for the Wallabies game, the players should be on strike tbh, look at the flood of abuse towards the ARU if the Wallabies can't play their top line players. I don't care about some bs CBA sorted by the ineffectual RUPA, the ARU is buggered if they have no players.

I assume that part of the action would include an injuction preventing them from cancelling then licence until after the hearing.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I dont get it.

What is the logic?

Thought running it in tandem with the big boys worked just fine.

The logic is it gives the U20 boys an extra 3 months working together, it works in NZ. It's a perfectly good model, though not substantially different from the old one.

The only issue is the fact that the 2018 top age U20s miss out on it. Tough for them.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
But there will also be a few Force players in that team, and whilst it would convey a message, it's punishing the wrong people. The players through RUPA have voted unanimously through this to retain all 5 teams.

Turning up in Force jerseys would be a good message to send IMO, and maybe a few blasphemous banners aimed at the ARU
Problem is, the Aru can always hide behind the Wallabies. There is no mechanism for the "mass" to have a go at them bar not supporting the Wallabies...which I agree is counter productive.

Lose - lose.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The logic is it gives the U20 boys an extra 3 months working together, it works in NZ. It's a perfectly good model, though not substantially different from the old one.

The only issue is the fact that the 2018 top age U20s miss out on it. Tough for them.
I know you know absolutely everything there is to know about everything, however:
  1. The 2018 "top age 20s" will not miss out
  2. It is these "top age 20s" who will be playing in the u19s games in September October 2017 with a view to selection in 2018.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Pulver was installed in the role by his best mate (Hawker) to a role he was both ill-suited to and unqualified for. There's no doubt he loves rugby and he's probably a very nice guy too. Clyne would certainly appear to have taken the reins of late.

Personally, I've never forgiven Pulver for the "pissing it up against the wall" comment and his ongoing war with club rugby.

From the early days when Rob Clarke was delivering a "your safe" message to the Rebs to the current claims by W Smith that the ARU not only knew of the licence transfer but assisted it.
For mine it is not unreasonable to think that the ARU at times during this saga had the opportunity to remove the Rebs but this was stopped by Clyne.
Clyne should not have been dealing with any of this due to his links to Vic Rugby.
Maybe "swingpass" can give us some more info on these messages if they have something to do with Clyne and any comments to Tim North on his visit to Melb just prior to this, that Tim may have relayed to the audience. Any opportunity to get rid of Clyne would be good for rugby in Australia.

Post by: swingpass, Tuesday at 10:00 PM in forum: Rugby Discussion

Post by: swingpass, Friday at 3:24 PM in forum: Rugby Discussion

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
From the early days when Rob Clarke was delivering a "your safe" message to the Rebs to the current claims by W Smith that the ARU not only knew of the licence transfer but assisted it.
For mine it is not unreasonable to think that the ARU at times during this saga had the opportunity to remove the Rebs but this was stopped by Clyne.
Clyne should not have been dealing with any of this due to his links to Vic Rugby.
Maybe "swingpass" can give us some more info on these messages if they have something to do with Clyne and any comments to Tim North on his visit to Melb just prior to this, that Tim may have relayed to the audience. Any opportunity to get rid of Clyne would be good for rugby in Australia.

Post by:swingpass,Tuesday at 10:00 PMin forum:Rugby Discussion

Post by: swingpass, Friday at 3:24 PM in forum: Rugby Discussion
no nothing that is not already public, North said the ARU had been apprised of the impending transfer, didn't say who paid the debt, implied the Victorian Government were heavily involved in the Rebels on going future and the cryptic clue was no Rebels players had been sent relocation notices, from which i took other players ie Force, had. The Rebels were safe because as i and others have said, they have a participation agreement which they were not in breach of and there was no mechanism to cull them whilst Cox or whoever, now the VRU, held the licence. The Force were always the only realistic target, not the right one, just the one that could be culled legally and more easily.

Reactions: daz

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Pulver was installed in the role by his best mate (Hawker) to a role he was both ill-suited to and unqualified for. There's no doubt he loves rugby and he's probably a very nice guy too. Clyne would certainly appear to have taken the reins of late.

Personally, I've never forgiven Pulver for the "pissing it up against the wall" comment and his ongoing war with club rugby.

Yes good to see the Shore Old Boys network working well...hopefully another Shore old boys reunion dinner is coming up where Michael Hawker and Bill can court the room to find our next Head of the ARU....

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
no nothing that is not already public, North said the ARU had been apprised of the impending transfer, didn't say who paid the debt, implied the Victorian Government were heavily involved in the Rebels on going future and the cryptic clue was no Rebels players had been sent relocation notices, from which i took other players ie Force, had. The Rebels were safe because as i and others have said, they have a participation agreement which they were not in breach of and there was no mechanism to cull them whilst Cox or whoever, now the VRU, held the licence. The Force were always the only realistic target, not the right one, just the one that could be culled legally and more easily.

Thanks swingpass
I don't think the WF were the only realistic tgt in the early days of this saga.
Cox was very vulnerable early until Tim got his hands on him, fair enough.
But I doubt there was any real drive from Clyne to get rid of the Rebs early without trying every possibility with getting rid of the Force due to, imo, Clynes long association and loyalty to Vic rugby.
As I said Clyne should not have been involved in this process at all due to his bias.

T

TOCC

I know you know absolutely everything there is to know about everything, however:
  1. The 2018 "top age 20s" will not miss out
  2. It is these "top age 20s" who will be playing in the u19s games in September October 2017 with a view to selection in 2018.

Yep it's still the same group of players who would be playing in the previous Super Rugby U20s model, just brought forward a few months.

Il reserve my judgement until I see what the full plan is but it seems to be a far better option so far. Ive voiced my issues with the previous structure a few times so I won't repeat them here. I'm just hoping they don't cotton wool the boys during the Feb-Apr part of the season when they could be playing club rugby leading up to the Oceania Championship. Biggest issue, was lack of game time for some.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
But 10, 000 tickets not sold at say $ 70.00 per ticket is $ 700, 000 dollars that hurts .

But would certainly be used by the ARU as evidence that the decision to axe the Force was the correct one because even test matches can't draw a decent crowd in Perth. I think the more fans who turn up, the better. But it would be good to see some sort of organised protest.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
But would certainly be used by the ARU as evidence that the decision to axe the Force was the correct one because even test matches can't draw a decent crowd in Perth. I think the more fans who turn up, the better. But it would be good to see some sort of organised protest.

If there's a large crowd they can claim it's evidence that cutting the Force isn't going to impact support for the game in WA and that all is fine.

I think if your aim was to hurt the ARU the only way to do it is financially. The most effective form of protest would probably be for thousands of Force fans to show up outside the stadium but not actually go to the game. That would both hurt the ARU financially and take away their ability to spin it in a way that makes them look good or right.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^^^^ which is why I said some form of protest would be good to see. The game will be televised worldwide, so I think there is ample opportunity to embarrass the ARU while also showing support for the Wallabies.

Status
Not open for further replies.