• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
When is someone going to do a change.org petition asking for the resignation of all ARU board members

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, to be fair to the ARU. They were told 'do something or you are bankrupt in 2 years' and they did. They are on point when they say twiggy butted in too late.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think there is a good outcome for rugby in Australia if the professional opportunities collapse in the near term.

If the game gets down to two men and a dog, it will still be run by the same unions just with different people involved.

I don't think any level below gets stronger because the thing above them collapses in terms of Australian rugby.

BH, I think we're already there. Two blokes and a dog indeed. Now there's a new dog in WA - Twiggy. No bad thing.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well, to be fair to the ARU. They were told 'do something or you are bankrupt in 2 years' and they did. They are on point when they say twiggy butted in too late.

But, is doing what they did going to do anything other than stave off bankruptcy for a couple of years?

The professional game is no more sustainable in Australia now that it was 6 months ago - some would contend that it's actually worse.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
But, is doing what they did going to do anything other than stave off bankruptcy for a couple of years?

The professional game is no more sustainable in Australia now that it was 6 months ago - some would contend that it's actually worse.
Eh, we don't know. Cheika turns the Wobs around, a franchise has a deep run in a reinvigorated soup?

The more i think about it the more it feels Twiggy is exploiting a situation for personal benefit.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I really don't know how to feel about it but here is the ARU slinging some mud.

According to estimates, the ARU was told it could be in a worse-case $26 million financial hole by 2020, meaning it would be unable to continue trading in two years' time.

Puts Twiggies offer into perspective in several ways. a) fuck sake we couldve sorted this out b) fuck sake we couldve sorted this out.

Communication people! talk to your wives.

Just one problem, Clyne had been an arsehole so had to resign, but he had too much self interest to do that. I bet the rest of the board would have been ok with TF but Clynes the boss bully.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)

When's too late, they could get TF to save them now if they wanted to

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Up until today with the release of these 'graphs' the ARU has never indicated the situation was so dire. Their financial controller left last month and said the code would be fine.
Why at no point have they publicly said it could be this dire, had they done so earlier before London they would have had Twiggy earlier. No one knew it was this bad and no one seriously thought they'd cut a team because they'd been saying 'you can't shrink your way to success'

So we'll done ARU don't blame Twiggy. This sits squarely with you for your completely poor communication and lack of transparency.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Up until today with the release of these 'graphs' the ARU has never indicated the situation was so dire. Their financial controller left last month and said the code would be fine.
Why at no point have they publicly said it could be this dire, had they done so earlier before London they would have had Twiggy earlier. No one knew it was this bad and no one seriously thought they'd cut a team because they'd been saying 'you can't shrink your way to success'

So we'll done ARU don't blame Twiggy. This sits squarely with you for your completely poor communication and lack of transparency.

How can anyone believe a word that comes from an organisation run by Clyne, his integrity is very much in doubt at best.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
No one is saying it isn't the ARU's fault just sayin the offer came too late, for whatever reason.

Without doubt the ARU are the ones in control and ultimately lead us to this point, even if it took the better part of 15 years of bad judgment and decision making to get here.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
No one is saying it isn't the ARU's fault just sayin the offer came too late, for whatever reason.

Without doubt the ARU are the ones in control and ultimately lead us to this point, even if it took the better part of 15 years of bad judgment and decision making to get here.

I think you are just making excuses for Clynes massive mismanagement. It's no coincidence that his CEO, COO and CFO all resigned in the last 2mths.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I really don't know how to feel about it but here is the ARU slinging some mud.

According to estimates, the ARU was told it could be in a worse-case $26 million financial hole by 2020, meaning it would be unable to continue trading in two years' time.

Puts Twiggies offer into perspective in several ways. a) fuck sake we couldve sorted this out b) fuck sake we couldve sorted this out.

Communication people! talk to your wives.

I just don't know when the ARU is going to wake up and realise how they have contributed to the loss of so many rugby fans to the professional game.

I am just too disengaged and have a complete loss of confidence in the direction taken for the professional game below the wallabies. My mates and I are just not interested in spending money going to tahs games as just too much dumb shit by the ARU where like many just lost interest and would rather go to club games or nrc games.

Did not go to tahs game this season and there is no chance of me going to tahs game next season and sorry the sporting organisation that runs this game is responsible for keeping me engaged and motivated to keep supporting my team in super rugby. Hence if fans like me have been made to be disengaged from professional rugby it is not my fault if rugby goes even more to shit. The responsibility lies with those who govern and manage the professional game and they have failed me and the thousands of others who have deserted the professional game.

To address the problem change needs to happen at the top as until then you have lost a large part of me to the professional game as just not motivated to pay the money to pay to go and see these games this year and can't add that Changing unless something changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

BLR

I would say up until today this report didn't exist.

And to put a dark lining on it, the assumptions don't take into account previous history of financial performance so yeah, this is going to be another 'Rebels sustainable under Imperium within 2 years'. Look how that worked out.

I would be surprised if the ARU last until 2019 even with a cut team. (If the situation is as dire as stated)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

No, but a number of of us have been saying _for years here_ that the situation was just this dire (as is today admitted by the ARU) and that accordingly the ARU was headed for a likely bankruptcy given the obvious decrementing trends within both Super Rugby and Wallaby rugby and the blindingly obvious strategic and sustained operational incompetence of the ARU and most if not all State RUs.

In fact 2019 was often picked as the year of the likely collapse. We then speculated optimistically that World Rugby would come in to re-launch and refinance Australian rugby aided by the active support of the NZRU to do so (the latter acting in obvious long-term self interest in so doing).

The idea today mooted by the ARU that the saving grace will be the $6m pa allegedly to be saved from a loss subsidy to the Force is woefully superficial and truth-masking (or self-delusional) when we have the unmentioned and larger darker truth of serious financial difficulties again beginning to emerge in the NSWRU and QRU and the problematic mystery of just how the thinly resourced VRU will finance obvious forthcoming large cash flow losses at the Rebels in 2018 and beyond.

Then we add to that picture materially declining Wallaby-related income streams as foreshadowed by rapidly falling crowds for all Wallaby home matches.

Then we add to that a structurally low income year in the RWC 2019 year and the clear fact that the latest TV/media rights $ windfall to SANZAAR (solely from UK pay tv) will not be repeated from 2020, with the likely outcome then being that gross TV rights income to SANZAAR from Super Rugby will thus fall very significantly compounding the ARU's multiple and simultaneous other income falls.

The vast majority of all the above factors is of the ARU's own making and 'blaming' one isolated Super Rugby team (which the ARU has for years over-sighted very poorly, blithely allowing the Force to be badly coached under the likes of Graham and Foley and generally run badly as an enterprise) and relatedly arguing that the ARU's medium-term solvency is somehow 'saved' by closing it down is little but schoolboy economics which can be seen through in seconds.

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
And we didn't even bid for the 2023 WC which could reinvigorate the code - likely to go to SA.
And a possibility that 2027 gets awarded at the same time.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
According to Clyne the "financial problems emanating from Super Rugby are commensurate with sustained declines in team performance since the competition first expanded from Super 12 in 2006" - yet it took the ARU 11 years to identify this problem, during which they increased Australia's participation in the competition!
In other news he whinges that Australian Super Rugby franchises were unable to defeat a single NZ team this year - but last year, we defeated three:
brumbies v Hurricanes 52 -10
reds v Highlanders 28-27
waratahs v Chiefs 45 - 25

and in 2015, five:
Rebels v Crusaders 20 – 10
Waratahs v hurricanes 29 – 24
Brumbies v Highlanders 31 – 18
Rebels v Chiefs 16 – 15
Waratahs v Crusaders 32 - 22
What changed? and why does cutting a team address this issue?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
And we didn't even bid for the 2023 WC which could reinvigorate the code - likely to go to SA.
And a possibility that 2027 gets awarded at the same time.
There's 0 chance that we win hosting either of those WCs after the next one in the Japanese timezone.

Next two will be in SA and back in Europe in either order

One sensible descision the ARU has made is not wasting money on bids

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
According to Clyne the "financial problems emanating from Super Rugby are commensurate with sustained declines in team performance since the competition first expanded from Super 12 in 2006" - yet it took the ARU 11 years to identify this problem, during which they increased Australia's participation in the competition!
In other news he whinges that Australian Super Rugby franchises were unable to defeat a single NZ team this year - but last year, we defeated three:
brumbies v Hurricanes 52 -10
reds v Highlanders 28-27
waratahs v Chiefs 45 - 25

and in 2015, five:
Rebels v Crusaders 20 – 10
Waratahs v hurricanes 29 – 24
Brumbies v Highlanders 31 – 18
Rebels v Chiefs 16 – 15
Waratahs v Crusaders 32 - 22
What changed? and why does cutting a team address this issue?

Our Super Rugby teams are rubbish, you can clearly see by the the scores each week, the crowds and the benches every week, we just don't have the talent to be competitive with 5 teams at the moment

The ARU were wrong in their decision to expand to that 5 team when they did, it was too soon.

We needed to consolidate the 4 teams. Now add that to the Super Rugby decision to make it an even bigger comp ................. it failed.

The decision to cut a side was necessary and whichever side missed out was going to suck.

But we need to consolidate. We need to end up with 4 competitive teams and build the NRC under that into a real national driving force that will eventually justify and demand a 5th side again.

Talk about a trans tasman comp is just a dream until we can be consistently be competitive with the Kiwis again, every year. Because why would they (or a broadcaster) be interested in a comp where they fly in and consistently rack up 50 plus each week in empty stadiums.

Be as angry as you want with the ARU and their bad decisions, but don't forget they are in this position because of bad crowds and losing Super Rugby teams on the score board and the spreadsheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.